Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus

MttBsh

Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus
« Reply #80 on: 17 Sep 2011, 03:06 am »
Took the plunge and ordered the Plus. Should have it late next week!

If you don't mind me asking, were you still able to get the "preorder" discount? If so I think I'm ready to pull the trigger too.

groovybassist

« Reply #81 on: 17 Sep 2011, 03:14 am »
Yes, but only a handful were left when I ordered, so I'd hurry if interested.

MttBsh

« Reply #82 on: 17 Sep 2011, 04:53 am »
Thanks groovybassist, was hopin' to read a review or two, but by then they'll be gone! Don't think one can wrong with one of these. Thanks again.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #83 on: 17 Sep 2011, 06:01 am »
I don't mean to toot our own horn but after about 24 hours of burn in and it still needs a little more time to open up, this evening I was listening at levels of 104-107db :nono: and still wanted to turn it up, tells me the DAC Plus is extremely musical. Saying it loud and proud :thumb:I'm 58 ,my hearing is all ready shot :lol:so don't fret over my decibel level, my wife was gone for a couple of hours :wink:

jadedavid

« Reply #84 on: 17 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm »
What is with downloading and drivers and changing sample rates? At this time I only use a CD player as a transport via a coax cable to the dac. Is there something else I need to do or is all the download stuff just for when you use a computer for a source? BTW I like Bill have found myself cranking it up. Very smooth yet detailed. Still burning it in.  Thanks  Dave

Andre2

« Reply #85 on: 20 Sep 2011, 02:03 am »
Got it today, and it is driving the EE M88 that I bought a couple of weeks ago...   :D

:D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D

I replaced a Yamaha RX-V1400 with the M88, and the sound improvement was substantial/dramatic, say water to wine.  I've started hearing things that I had not heard before with several of my CDs.

Now, I have just listened to about a couple of hours of music with the DAC plus.  And, the improvement with the DAC plus is noticeable, say water to Gatorade...   :)

For example, listening to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, track "She is leaving home" the beginning has some harp sound.  With the DAC that beginning is more defined, the sound can be heard better, including the chord picking detail. 

Overall, the music sounds are better resolved with the DAC plus in the system, and I can hear more details, such as the singer's voice/syllables.

Freo-1

« Reply #86 on: 21 Sep 2011, 12:27 am »
The new DAC arrived yesterday.  I'm going to give some time to break in, but so far:

1) The DAC made a lot of funny popping noises when first powered up.  I reckon it was all the caps charging up, but not sure.
2) The stock tube is not very good.  The tube out was lacking compared to solid state.  Switched the unit off, replaced the 12AU7 that came stock with a NOS Westinghouse 12AU7 Black Plate from 1957.   After awhile with that tube, the DAC REALLY started to open up and sound great. 
3) The tube out is less than the op amp out.  I suspect that is why many people "jump" on the op amp out as better.  So far, I do not concur.  The tube out sounds more natural, with a blacker background compared to the op amp.
4) The other "tweak" I tried was taking the RCA out, and using a RCA to XLR connector to the input of the M88.  That further improved the sound of the presentation from the Eastern Electric duo.  The M88 has NOS Westinghouse 12AU7's in all three tube slots.   The 12AX7 tubes are some very early Japanese Military tubes (labelled Raytheon MJ), which are a very well kept secret.  One of the most neutral, non microphonic, and clear 12AX7's evere made.  The output tubes are the Shuguang Black Treasures KT88. 

Overall, so far, so good.

jadedavid

« Reply #87 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:46 pm »
It seems very quiet on this site about your opinions of the new DAC. So I guess I'll go ahead and make the plunge. Original perception was Good low level detail, good tone, unorganized bass, restricted top end. Now after more than a week of rigorous break in things are starting to change. Bass has firmed up, very deep and tunefull, midrange has and is the standout with great depth and staging, a warm robust tone with great emotional draw, but the upper end has not flourished (at least not yet). Still sounds restricted, closed in. Definitely no glare or harshness but you just want to keep turning it up or to move closer to try and get the upper shimmer and life. I'll keep breaking in the unit. Would like to hear from others on their results.

jonbee

« Reply #88 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:57 pm »
There is a longer thread on user's opinions here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98695.0

My quick summary:
With 50 hours on it, I can say that this is the most detailed and 3-d sound I've heard from any front end I'm familiar with. It also has the least coloration from top to bottom. Ultra smooth on top, with a silky smooth backdrop to the music.
There is simply more going on, more to hear. Details, ambience and spatial cues that were slightly audible on other players are now clearly audible.
It's taking a bit of an adjustment to get used to all these musical elements being served up so distinctly.
Using SS output only for now, as the stock tube sounds a bit too fat and clouded in comparison. I will return to the tube output in time.

Freo-1

« Reply #89 on: 30 Sep 2011, 08:33 pm »
Wanted to update on how the DAC is sounding/working:

1) Problems with inputs have been worked out:  Had a dodgy optical cable, which was causing issues. The Direct TV digital out has an issue with multi channel broadcasts, as they are prone to occasional brief dropouts.  Will contact Direct TV to resolve.  The two channel music broadcasts work fine.

2) The CD playback took a big step up with the AES input.  I have never heard CD sound this good before.

3) The DAC continues to improve as it breaks in.  The tube out with a NOS RCA 12AU7 Black Plate is my favorite so far.  The op amp out just does not sound as musical to be.  If anyone does decide to roll op amps, would be interested to get feedback.  So far, my fav op amp is the Burr Brown OA 627.

So far, VERY HAPPY with this DAC.  My only wish is that it had balanced out.

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #90 on: 9 Oct 2011, 08:29 am »
We've published some excellent, detailed pictures of the new Eastern Electric DAC Plus at stereomojo.com. Just click the "Flash update" on the cover. We are expediting the review for you.

We'll be leaving for Rocky Mountain this week. If any of you are going, email me. We'd love to meet you.

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #91 on: 12 Oct 2011, 09:08 pm »
Looks like you'll be comparing the Wyred Dac 2 to the Minimax Plus...

When will that be available for a read...?   

Bill, Any update on when then next batch of Minimax Plus's will be going out...?

Thanks

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #92 on: 12 Oct 2011, 09:27 pm »
Alex wrote me 2 days ago saying all parts are in so I'm hoping they arrive here in about 2 weeks.

munosmario

« Reply #93 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:36 am »
We've published some excellent, detailed pictures of the new Eastern Electric DAC Plus at stereomojo.com. Just click the "Flash update" on the cover. We are expediting the review for you.

We'll be leaving for Rocky Mountain this week. If any of you are going, email me. We'd love to meet you.

Nice pictures….however, regarding review, I think that expediting it by comparing the EE miniDAC+ to the Wired4Sound DAC2 and the Lampizator 2 is, if I may say, a regressive, not progressive, exercise. It is regressive because StereoMojo already has reported—after a rather exhaustive and truly excellent review/shoot-out of some of the top sub $5000 DACs--that the previous EE miniDAC version was a close second to the Lampizator 4.

Your panel of judges actually considered the difference between the EE miniDAC  and the Lampizator 4  not to be that significant (you though differently and explained why in an editorial comment, but still you  awarded the EE miniDAC a solid second). So, comparing the new and (supposedly) improved miniDAC+ to the Lampizator 2, is definitely regressive…it does not accomplish anything in terms of a review of progress in the state of the DAC art, namely, how does the new EE miniDAC+ compare to the top Lampizator 4.

For that matter, the Boulder modified miniDAC, should also be part of a truly progressive review exercise including the EE miniDAC+ and the Lampizator 4 (as you know, StereoMojo published recently--and just shortly after the shoot-out--a raving review of the Boulder mod but without any comparison or reference to the Lampizator 4…with all due respect, professional reviews without peer comparisons are not better that enthusiastic testimonials from satisfied customers).

Likewise, comparing the EE miniDAC+ to the Wyred 4sound DAC2, while not totally regressive, it appears as an afterthought…as if StereMojo forgot to include that couple-of-years old unit in your DAC shoot-out and it is now being parachuted in the competition…yes, it is a good unit, but never at the Lampizator 4 level...accordingly, what is the point to bring it in within the context of a review for the new EE miniDAC+?

So, please don’t rush the review, keep your otherwise great audio reviewing standards (including the pictures of those sweet temptresses), take your time (no quickie here) and perform a consistent, truly progressive review….I think the EE miniDAC+ and Alex’s and Bill’s efforts totally deserve it!!

munosmario

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #94 on: 26 Oct 2011, 03:06 pm »
Hey Bill...

Its been about 2 weeks, wondering how things are rollin along with the new batch... 
I'm sure I'm asking for everyone here patiently waiting....  :)

Thank you....

Patrick

lanho

« Reply #95 on: 26 Oct 2011, 04:36 pm »
Hi all

i'm new on this website & forum, i write from France and sorry for my english.
I've just receive my EE Dac+ and have a question :is it normal that i hear  a noise when i'm near of my loudspeakers ?

Thanks for your reply.

rgds

Lanho

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #96 on: 27 Oct 2011, 01:42 am »
Hi Patrick,

I have an email into Alex asking but haven't heard anything lately. He was saying the end of the month which is coming up shortly.

Regards,
 Bill

Andre2

« Reply #97 on: 27 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm »
I am considering buying a 'mach2 mini' to use as a serve source for my DAC plus.  Has anybody tried such a set up?  Does it work well? 

I am new at this audiophile thing, and my simple set up is shown above on my earlier post.  Currently I have an pioneer Elite CDP, EE minimax DAC plus, into a M88, with some Boston acoustic speakers - eagerly waiting a pair of N3 towers from Danny/Ruben  :D

Hifinut604

« Reply #98 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:40 am »
Hi Patrick,

I have an email into Alex asking but haven't heard anything lately. He was saying the end of the month which is coming up shortly.

Regards,
 Bill

Hi Bill,

Any update from Alex yet on the MiniMax Plus?

Cheers,
Phil

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #99 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:20 am »
Hi Bill,

Any update from Alex yet on the MiniMax Plus?

Cheers,
Phil

They left HK on Tuesday, as of today,Friday, I have not received them yet, should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

Regards,
 Bill