"Can vinyl records be made in an environmentally friendly way?" BBC News.

SET Man

Hey!

I've thought about this for sometime now. For decades not much research have gone into making better material to press record on. So, this is very interesting. And if this new "Green Vinyl" quality is the same or better than what we have now and still cost the same or just a bit more then I'm up for it.

https://youtu.be/KlAG8EOs8MQ

Buddy

Blackmore

Good video Buddy. Thanks for posting and I’d like to hear one of those pressings.

toocool4

It would be good to make our records greener, LP’s are already green in my book. What do I mean by that, put it this way some of my records have been with me since I was a teenager that’s around 30 years. Also some of my records are older than I am. These are not plastic that we use and throw away after one use. These plastics are not some knife / forks / cups that we use once and dump, how often does anyone use plastic knife / forks / cups for more than 30 years? 

So I maintain LP’s are already fairly green.

By the way the LP in the video was not perfectly quiet like claimed, I can clearly hear the surface noise.

mjosef

If the source is still fossil fuels(oil, coal..) then NOPE (scary movie)...isn't all plastic, pfc, pvc etc. a composition of hydrocarbons (oil,coal gas)?
Micro plastic molecules are everywhere now, in our food supply, our organs. The Plastic Earth.

"Nobody throws away their vinyl records" said one of the commentators, I used to pick up many 'records' on the City streets. That presenter claims to be a record collector...I only saw a dozen records on her shelf.  :lol:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Carbon in record vinyl stays locked up for decades and has essentially no impact on the environment.  The bags that every single item I buy comes in goes straight to the landfill.  Nearly every molecule of carbon based fuel I burn goes into the atmosphere as CO2, or worse, CO. 
Records aren't a problem. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Carbon in record vinyl stays locked up for decades and has essentially no impact on the environment.  The bags that every single item I buy comes in goes straight to the landfill.  Nearly every molecule of carbon based fuel I burn goes into the atmosphere as CO2, or worse, CO. 
Records aren't a problem.

The problem isn't plastic shopping bags, or gasoline cars: it's people. I re-use those plastic bags as trash bags for small cans (bathrooms) or some other use. Plus, places like Walmart usually take old plastic bags for recycling. Because, you still would have to buy normal trash bags for your bathroom (and still trow away plastic bags. So, let's try that versus just throwing them away if you really care about the environment.

I reject being forced to use cloth bags or pay plastic bags by any county. state, or federal entity. They will never be worth 5 cents. If people really cared about saving the environment, companies like Walmart would give away cloth bags like candy. It would be great PR and advertisement, especially if you were the first and corner the market. Imagine shopping at Whole Foods with your Walmart bags. That's how you rub it in.

When it comes to cars, it's not gasoline: it's the decision to have to go somewhere when you don't really need to. Besides a few select trips, I don't go anywhere. People will go anywhere and everywhere every weekend when it is not needed.

Wayner

I wonder how much carbon is released from just one volcano eruption or a forest fire in California?

SET Man

I wonder how much carbon is released from just one volcano eruption or a forest fire in California?

Hey!

I'm sure you can differentiate between man made and natural occurrences right?

Buddy

SET Man

Hey!

The new vinyl is more than just the material to press the vinyl on. It is also the process of making it that I find interesting, using injection molding process.

Anyway, I think I'm now regretting posting this :roll:

Buddy

newzooreview

Annual volcanic emissions over the last several decades were "within a range of about 0.3 ± 0.15 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, implying that human carbon dioxide emissions were more than 90 times greater than global volcanic carbon dioxide emissions."
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/which-emits-more-carbon-dioxide-volcanoes-or-human-activities

A large forest fire can emit 150 million metric tons of CO2, but some is removed from the atmosphere over time (decades) as the forest regrows. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sept-15-2018-summer-science-camping-under-a-volcano-plastic-in-beluga-bellies-and-more-1.4821942/how-do-co2-emissions-from-forest-fires-compare-to-those-from-fossil-fuels-1.4821944

Global warming drives an increase in the number, duration, and area of forest fires, and creates conditions that inhibit their full regrowth (leaving a portion of released CO2 in the atmosphere), so they form part of a positive feedback cycle that increases global warming. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/09/climate-feedback-climate-change-forest-fires/

The BBC puff piece on replacing polyvinyl chloride (PVC) with polyethylene chloride (PEC) in record production is the kind of irresponsible nonsense reporting that wastes people's time and waste's the potential of journalism to inform evidence-based policy decisions.

PVC production has vanishingly little to do with climate change, and manufacturing LPs has essentially zero impact on the demand for PVC. So, "green" LPs are just a marketing gimmick and, as the record manufacturer interviewed states, he would have to replace all of his equipment to switch to the meaningless gimmick. The environmental impact of junking his entire manufacturing facility is almost certainly much larger than whatever benefit there is from switching to PEC.

What these brainless "news" stories always fail to ask is "compared to what?" Here's what PVC use in LPs compares to—it's lost somewhere in the "Others" category:

S Clark

Excellent post, NewZoo.
Well, my 3K record collection sit on my shelves, without a molecule of hydrocarbon adding to any pollution issues.  The vast majority will sit on someone else's shelves when I'm gone, and again, not contributing to any environmental issues. 
Records are environmentally safe- as a general rule. 

Wayner

Hey!

I'm sure you can differentiate between man made and natural occurrences right?

Buddy

I can't think of anything that wastes more energy and serves no purpose other than entertaining a biological entity, that would be listening to a stereo. Of course, there is plenty of AC made from carbon producing energy products. Perhaps a windup turntable and a crystal radio would suffice.

S Clark

I can't think of anything that wastes more energy and serves no purpose other than entertaining a biological entity, that would be listening to a stereo. Of course, there is plenty of AC made from carbon producing energy products. Perhaps a windup turntable and a crystal radio would suffice.
C'mon.  Seriously? 

orthobiz

In other news, I read a piece about appreciating old gasoline vehicles. Guy in Europe walking through his neighborhood seeing a Citroen DS21, Jag XJS, etc.

Then stating the environmental impact of making a new vehicle, whether or not it is electric, makes keeping the old one going perhaps not such a bad thing.

I'm toying with a new Golf R but my 2012 R runs so well, I think I'll keep it.

Somehow I think I haven't fully hijacked this thread...

Paul

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Newzoo's post is not only informative, but illustrates the power of knowledge in the nation centric debate over anthropogenic climate change.  Apparently it's only in the US that there's a debate about global warming being a clear and present danger to life on earth.  China and India are big emitters, but aren't publicly debating anything, they just don't care.  Thanks for the great post.

EWN

If the source is still fossil fuels(oil, coal..) then NOPE (scary movie)...isn't all plastic, pfc, pvc etc. a composition of hydrocarbons (oil,coal gas)?
Micro plastic molecules are everywhere now, in our food supply, our organs. The Plastic Earth.

"Nobody throws away their vinyl records" said one of the commentators, I used to pick up many 'records' on the City streets. That presenter claims to be a record collector...I only saw a dozen records on her shelf.  :lol:

I saw that serious vinyl collector as well.  This is just more of the same humans are bad and we must make everything terrible for you.  My collection has been destroying the planet since the 60's now!  <sarc>

What a load.  Analogue Productions is already using lead free vinyl.  What else do they want?

EWN

Annual volcanic emissions over the last several decades were "within a range of about 0.3 ± 0.15 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, implying that human carbon dioxide emissions were more than 90 times greater than global volcanic carbon dioxide emissions."
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/which-emits-more-carbon-dioxide-volcanoes-or-human-activities

A large forest fire can emit 150 million metric tons of CO2, but some is removed from the atmosphere over time (decades) as the forest regrows. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sept-15-2018-summer-science-camping-under-a-volcano-plastic-in-beluga-bellies-and-more-1.4821942/how-do-co2-emissions-from-forest-fires-compare-to-those-from-fossil-fuels-1.4821944

Global warming drives an increase in the number, duration, and area of forest fires, and creates conditions that inhibit their full regrowth (leaving a portion of released CO2 in the atmosphere), so they form part of a positive feedback cycle that increases global warming. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/09/climate-feedback-climate-change-forest-fires/

The BBC puff piece on replacing polyvinyl chloride (PVC) with polyethylene chloride (PEC) in record production is the kind of irresponsible nonsense reporting that wastes people's time and waste's the potential of journalism to inform evidence-based policy decisions.

PVC production has vanishingly little to do with climate change, and manufacturing LPs has essentially zero impact on the demand for PVC. So, "green" LPs are just a marketing gimmick and, as the record manufacturer interviewed states, he would have to replace all of his equipment to switch to the meaningless gimmick. The environmental impact of junking his entire manufacturing facility is almost certainly much larger than whatever benefit there is from switching to PEC.

What these brainless "news" stories always fail to ask is "compared to what?" Here's what PVC use in LPs compares to—it's lost somewhere in the "Others" category:

Excellent post.

Cyber One

On Brian Eno's latest album  the hype sticker mentions it is made out of recycled vinyl 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Our Lps now. Enough is enough. Plant more Hemp and clean the sucker up.

charles

mav52

I think I would worry more about stuff that impacts everyone everyday than how freaking LP's are being made.

"Non-exhaust emissions, which include tire, brake and road surface wear, account for 90% of all particulate emissions from vehicles. The microplastics from tire dust contribute to dangerous PM2.5 pollution – particles that are so small they can be inhaled and cause respiratory health issues."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/16/world/tyre-collective-microplastic-rubber-waste-climate-hnk-spc-intl/index.html#:~:text=Non%2Dexhaust%20emissions%2C%20which%20include,and%20cause%20respiratory%20health%20issues.