Where does vintage Harmon Kardon rank?

Mnpctech_Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Audio Isolation Products
Where does vintage Harmon Kardon rank?
« on: 12 Aug 2022, 03:34 pm »
Where does vintage 80's Harman-Kardon Audio components rank against the Japanese brands from same era?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Where does vintage Harmon Kardon rank?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2022, 04:24 pm »
Similar sound quality tô Techinics Onkyo Kenwood etc HK tube amps similar SQ tô Dynaco.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2022, 09:39 am »
HKs in the 70s and into the 80s had a stiff power supply so you got a little beefier sound than some of the cheaper brands.  Harmon was a step above the Technics, Pioneer, etc of the day.  They all used a good bit of negative feedback to lower the distortion figures for the ads in Stereo Review and some say that made the sound harsh or brittle, but I never noticed it that much.  However my taste wasn't as refined back then.  I'd be interested in hearing a nice example today.

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2022, 06:46 pm »
As mentioned, they were beefier than other consumer brands. The 430 and 730 receivers were pretty good sounding units for the $, generally on par with the nicer Yamahas of the day for less $. The Citation series was quite good, None were as clear or refined as the better units today. I'm impressed by the current Yamaha A-S301-801 series integrateds for mass market units.

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2022, 03:12 am »
I bought a HK-590i around ‘83 or ‘84 that my Mom is still using today.  I still remember reading and being impressed by 45w per channel plus the high instantaneous current capability.  I had no idea what it meant but it sounded like some thing I needed.  Back then I recall Harman Kardon’s reputation being on par with the likes of Yamaha and Sony - aspirational products for someone with a paycheck like mine.

blownrx7

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2022, 01:52 pm »
I picked up an HK560 receiver and, after listening to it, sold my Sansui 5050 and Technics SA300 receivers. The HK had a really nice smooth tube-like sound that is great with low and mid range digital sources. I always wanted to get a Technics back in the day but I realize now that all their great specifications were just great hype, not great sound. The Sansui was good, just not as good as the HK.
HTH

Sooopa

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2022, 11:11 am »
Where does vintage 80's Harman-Kardon Audio components rank against the Japanese brands from same era?

I don't know about the 80s but their 70s gear sound pretty good. People with the dual mono units rave about them.

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2022, 04:52 pm »
I have a HK 430 Twin Transformer from 1976, I bought off from EBay in order to refurbish and use it.  I changed the cheesy binding posts, recapped what needed to be replaced.  I even had a hospital grade power off to replace the rather thin power cord that came with it. 

It was used to drive a pair of Gershman Audio x-1 and Sw-1 tower speakers.. the original review stated that these speakers needed at the very minimum 100 watts high current amp designs to be driven properly.

The HK drove them like a champ without much issue… and we are talking about the specified output of 37-40 watts per channel. 

The twin transformer design is not gimmick and while it might not have the refinement of later SS designs, I have noticed the typical Harman Voicing, warm on the upper midrange but in a pleasant way that does not obscure details.

It is a win. 

Other amps I am familiar with:  McCormack, H2O audio, Bakoon, Lejonklou, Tubed 300B, Tubed F2as, Audiosector, Naim.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2022, 07:57 pm by Bemopti123 »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2022, 05:10 pm »
My first  "real" stereo had a HK receiver with Large Advents - it sounded pretty good but upgradeitis struck early on.
I later had a Citation 22 amp, it was okay but time marches on.