Intro - fan of GR

bhassel

Intro - fan of GR
« on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:08 pm »
 :popcorn:

I have recently discovered GR Research and am newbie to DIY speakers. I currently have 'ELAC - Debut 2.0 Dual 6-1/2 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers'. I used to think they were pretty good so you can guess my level of experience at this. I am also running an IOTA (British) integrated and power amps. Nothing fancy, I was just looking for clean affordable unadulterated sound. I must admit, when powered up for the first time I heard a sound stage. I was thrilled.

After a while your ears adjust, and you are looking for more. I live in a small town and order most things online out of necessity, especially now dazes. The idea of open baffle is scratching my two remaining brain cells to open at the possibilities.

I'm tossing around the idea of trying the LGKs (new model - I do listen to stuff from/on my computer) or NX-Studio (starting a recording setup with a UAD Apollo Solo setup) or even NX-Statik's. It's a candy store!

Anyway, I and my ears have much to learn. Besides I want to do a search on NX-Statik's

Thanks,

Bob

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Intro - fan of GR
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2022, 09:21 pm »
Welcome to AC!  I wish there were NX-Statiks but sadly there are only X-Statiks.  Still, X-Statiks are fantastic speakers and a worthy goal for those interested in open baffle sound.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2022, 09:42 pm »
Welcome to AC Bob. It’s a fun group with plenty of experience and opinions to be shared. I recently experienced open Baffle for the first time. I fell in love very quickly. There’s a pretty big crowd that loves the Studios.

Im in the middle of my first GR build and folks are very helpful with questions. Enjoy the DIY bug.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2022, 08:03 am »
There’s a pretty big crowd that loves the Studios.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I imagine the LGK to be great little speakers, but if you are going to step up to the bar for something unbelievable, the NX-Studios do not disappoint. Whether you're 3ft or 13ft from them, the detail, tone and soundstage is incredible. Lots of build threads on them, some with details on build, crossover assembly, or finishing. Figure out where you want to focus your new system and get to it.

-Lloyd

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2022, 01:39 pm »
Welcome!

bhassel

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2022, 08:31 pm »
Thank you all! It has been a while since I've held a soldering iron, that was actually turned on.

I think unbelievable is what I'm shooting for, so the LGKs are not as appropriate for my mission (multiple people listening at the same time from different locations within the room). That leaves me with NX Studios or X-Statiks (at least at my budget level).

Which will give me more WOW listening? I'm guessing X-Statiks. Although I thought I saw someone built NX-Studio with the bass in the speaker stands (or was that LGKs?).

Bob
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2022, 01:51 am by bhassel »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2022, 09:31 pm »
The NX Studio would be my choice, they make a good amount of bass, and can be supplemented with a good subwoofer later on when the budget permits. 

corndog71

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2022, 11:40 pm »
Thank you all! It has been a while since I've held a soldering iron, that was actually turned on.

For starters, don’t hold it like this.

bhassel

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2022, 01:50 am »
Love it!

Digi-G

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2022, 03:10 pm »
I read in another thread that if you're soldering and it smells like a hot dog you're holding it wrong.

Whoever posted that -    :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 5 Aug 2022, 03:51 pm »
The NX Studio would be my choice,

I agree. Skip the entry-level stuff and proceed directly to higher fidelity. The good thing about DIY is you can take your time and buy parts as your budget allows. 

bhassel

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2022, 05:07 pm »
This is a deeper rabbit hole than I imagined. Let's see chip amps run from a battery, hopefully also DIY, wow what a wealth of information shared by all. Still dancing between the x-statiks and nx-studio. Really would like to dive deep and do the NX-Oticas, someday.

I do not have a dedicated listening room. The living room space is limited by a baby grand and couches. The family room is limited by ... life and all the rest of the stuff, TVs bookcase, chairs, etc. I'm not sure at this point I can really manage the 3 feet from the wall needed for the X-Statiks. And like others in the desert southwest I have tile floors or thin carpet.

This is really starting to be fun. I'm not sure I could go wrong which ever direction I go.

There is so much to learn, and we must let Eva Cassidy sing freely, along with Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Miles, Paco....

Thank you all,

Bob
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2022, 07:38 pm by bhassel »

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2022, 05:41 pm »
NX-Studios are designed to be placed close to a wall.

corndog71

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2022, 08:53 pm »
While the NX series is superior to the X series, the latter is no slouch and still offers great sound.  For better transparency, detail and air the NX Studios would be a great choice for you.  That said another alternative would be a pair of X-CS on stands.  While they aren’t quite as open and transparent as the NX, they still have a big, warm yet detailed sound.  They may have a little more bass too. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2022, 08:48 pm »
Welcome!    :thumb:

I'm in love with my X-Statics, but have my eyes on the NX-Oticas as my next project.   For a Home Theater setup, I think those might do better to hit that second-row seating and I also believe they would pair better with the Double Trouble servo subs.

bhassel

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2022, 10:58 pm »
Thanks Vince,

I appreciate everyone's input. Glad to hear another positive response about the X-Statics. The NX-Oticas are my ultimate hit parade list.

Bob

bhassel

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2022, 08:30 pm »
I missed the X-CS totally.

The reports on the NX-Studio's are great. Also, I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRkyIOTA_U "X-LS Encore Review! End Game DIY Hi-Fi!?" by Ron over at New Day Records. He mentioned the NX-Studios that he heard at Dannys (about 18 minutes in) were like mini NX-Oticas.

Line out, hook set, pull....

Could the woofers be next?

Thank you all,

Bob

Vince in TX

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2022, 08:37 pm »
Could the woofers be next?

Oh, you KNOW you want a pair of these bad boys (GR Research Double Trouble).    :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2022, 08:59 pm »
Oh, you KNOW you want a pair of these bad boys (GR Research Double Trouble).    :thumb:

Those make EXCELLENT stands for the NX Studios :thumb:

mkane

« Reply #19 on: 11 Aug 2022, 10:35 pm »
^or Super Minis and don/t forget Wedgies.