Spatial at Pacific Audio Fest

RonN5

Re: Spatial at Pacific Audio Fest
« Reply #20 on: 1 Aug 2022, 02:58 am »
I’m using the cones but not the spikes and then shims in the back to move the angle more forward. I tried numerous positions to optimize the sound. My room is open concept 1200 sq ft, tile on concrete, glass door walls, some carpet on tile, furniture and no treatments.

The sound is never harsh, hard or bright… the soundstage presentation is big… and the Sapphires play big when appropriate and small and intimate when needed.

I haven’t heard the Xs… but will make it a point to track some down at some point. 

KLH007

« Reply #21 on: 1 Aug 2022, 02:19 pm »
Anticables sent a day one e-mail with a couple of photos of the X4s with the new Anticables Level 4.2 Flex speaker cables and shots of the room (below), and the Audiophile Junkie channel on Youtube has been uploading footage of rooms but hasn't yet made it to the Spatial Audio room: https://www.youtube.com/c/AudiophileJunkie/videos

Is there other coverage that anyone has found?

The AV Show Reports channel on Youtube usually posts following a show, but they have never covered a Spatial Audio room (or it doesn't show up in a search of their channel).

The founder of AVShowrooms, Peter Breuninger passed away June 13th in his sleep. Terry and I are working on what AVS's future will be, covering CAF in November will be our first time at a show without Peter, wish us luck.

newzooreview

« Reply #22 on: 1 Aug 2022, 03:11 pm »
I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Breuninger's passing. Best wishes in your work.

lowtech

« Reply #23 on: 2 Aug 2022, 03:08 am »
The Linkwitz speakers sounded amazing but you need to buy the whole system...

That's not true. You can buy the plans and build the speakers yourself, buy them as kits, or buy them completely finished. You can power them with the turn-key Powerboxes or use your own 60w/pc amps with a miniDSP or active analog crossover.

RonN5

« Reply #24 on: 2 Aug 2022, 12:57 pm »
The beauty of the Spatials are simplicity (almost plug and play) and affordability (well at least the M's are almost affordable).  As seems to happen at every show where Spatials are present...they get a lot of thumbs up!

Mr. Big

« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2022, 02:44 pm »
The beauty of the Spatials are simplicity (almost plug and play) and affordability (well at least the M's are almost affordable).  As seems to happen at every show where Spatials are present...they get a lot of thumbs up!

You are so right. Treat your room a bit, Play with spacing and toe-in and you are good to go, no need for DSP processing or tweaks. Yes, they change the sound, and if that is what you like that is fine. Each recording has different EQ where some have more bass on purpose, some less, some more forward highs and mid ranges, etc, that is what gives that recording its sound, take that away you no longer are hearing the recording the way it was meant to be heard. If I had to keep repositioning my speakers because a recording has too much bass, or EQ it down, then the next recording has too little bass and forward highs then I have to change everything again to gain more bass to balance out what I lost by changing the EQ of the speaker, what I found is getting them positioned right and then its the recording quality and it truly is the bane to our hobby, we like them all to sound great, but that is never the case.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2022, 03:14 pm »
I used to EQ my speakers a lot (in the bass) but ultimately removed it because they sound better without it.  Considering how uneven and problematic my room is, that's pretty astonishing.

That's the beauty of well designed OB speakers - you really can just plop them down in any room and they sound excellent.  Just as long as you can get them 3 feet from the front wall.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2022, 09:27 pm »
I'm always interested in how Spatial Audio Labs do at these shows for no reason other than to justify my decision and to see what electronics are used with the speakers. It's like a disease and I have to have positive feedback.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #28 on: 4 Aug 2022, 01:41 am »
Ignoring my last post and looking for positive feedback, Audiogon forums have a thread on Pacific Audio Fest and a poster posted with the video that is linked:

This room also give clean and neat sound.

My guess is that LTA amplifier works well with Spatial Audio speaker.

https://youtu.be/zNS2yHw7qT0

Spatial Audio

« Reply #29 on: 4 Aug 2022, 06:01 am »
Marc Phillips of Part Time Audiophile came by our room at the Pacific show:

I always enjoy the LTA/Spatial Audio/Anticables room at audio shows–these affordable systems always compete for Best of Show. In this case I felt Linear Tube Audio’s Mark Schneider knocked it out of the park with his latest integrated amplifier, the Z40+ ($7,650) and the Spatial Audio Lab X4 loudspeakers (starting at $7,950/pr.) Of all the PAF Friday Highlights, this was perhaps the most magical–meaning this is the system I really wanted to bring home.

RonN5

« Reply #30 on: 4 Aug 2022, 02:05 pm »
Looking back over the last 3 years at the forum postings, show comments and the reviews, it is pretty clear that Clayton has done something special as both the Sapphires and the X's have received almost universal acclaim; no doubt that the LTA gear helps bring out their best.

Congratulations and continued success!

RonN5

« Reply #31 on: 4 Aug 2022, 06:23 pm »

minatophase3

« Reply #32 on: 4 Aug 2022, 06:33 pm »
When my friend and I were in the room we were sitting next to Mark from LTA and Clayton was next to him.  We commented several times at how good the X4's sounded, how the bass extension was better than my M4's, etc.  After the 3rd or 4th comment about the X4's Mark leans over and says you know the LTA amp has a lot to do with that!  Clayton looked over and smiled. 

I think the synergy between the X4's, LTA amp and Holo May dac were perfect.  A truly excellent sounding room and one that would easily fit into a room in someone's house unlike many of the systems at the show.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2022, 07:36 pm by minatophase3 »

Spatial Audio

« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2022, 06:31 pm »
A best of Pacific Audiofest list just came out today on Part Time Audiophile:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2022/08/13/best-of-pacific-audio-fest-2022-fap-2022/

newzooreview

« Reply #34 on: 13 Aug 2022, 07:20 pm »
So the Spatial Audio room (~$20,000) came in second to the Von Schweikert room (~$1,000,000 apparently).

Ok. Not bad.

"I usually pick two favorite systems when I cover a show. The first is the ultimate, state-of-the-art system that comes the closest to the real thing, and the other is the one I want to take home with me. The new LTA amps are magnificent, and the Spatial Audio X4s do way too much for their modest price. If there was a runner-up for Best of Pacific Audio Fest 2022, it would be this system–which costs only $20K for everything."

lazbisme

« Reply #35 on: 13 Aug 2022, 07:43 pm »
and so many of the rooms with Lampizator DAC! That sucker is 44,000Euro! Clayton used the Holo May at a LOT less than $6K.

newzooreview

« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug 2022, 10:08 pm »
Spatial Audio has used the Lampizator Amber 3 DAC at shows in the past, and I heard it at LTA with the M3 Sapphires. It's an excellent DAC (the current model Amber 4 is $4385 now, while the Amber 3 was less than $3000). I have the Holo May KTE, but I've never compared them in the same system.

morganc

« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug 2022, 10:47 pm »
Spatial Audio has used the Lampizator Amber 3 DAC at shows in the past, and I heard it at LTA with the M3 Sapphires. It's an excellent DAC (the current model Amber 4 is $4385 now, while the Amber 3 was less than $3000). I have the Holo May KTE, but I've never compared them in the same system.

Would be great to hear Clayton’s or anyone else’s comparison on a spatial X series system, a comparisons to Lampizator Amber, Baltic or Big 7 and the Holo May Series.  I’ve got an Audio Mirror SE IV that is breaking in and I’d love to put it in the mix as well.

Bingenito

« Reply #38 on: 14 Aug 2022, 01:09 pm »
Yay we all saved over $900k. Adjusted for inflation we now all have enough to buy 2 weeks of groceries  :lol:

Spatial Audio

« Reply #39 on: 14 Aug 2022, 06:07 pm »
Would be great to hear Clayton’s or anyone else’s comparison on a spatial X series system, a comparisons to Lampizator Amber, Baltic or Big 7 and the Holo May Series.  I’ve got an Audio Mirror SE IV that is breaking in and I’d love to put it in the mix as well.

I have not had the bigger Lampi DACs at our place, but I can say the Amber 3 DAC we had was excellent. We will have the new Amber 4 shortly for use in our demo room at the New York Audio Show coming up in September. The May DAC is very hard to beat, so it will be interesting to compare them.

Clayton
Spatial Audio Lab