DAC here I come

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: DAC here I come
« Reply #40 on: 4 Aug 2022, 07:27 pm »
Recordings vary a lot in quality, so that's just the nature of things. 

Volume level - set the Node volume to 100% and the iPad volume to 100% and then only use your preamp for volume control - this will give you the best sound quality.

Looks like the inexpensive iFi units don't have a coax input, so they won't work with your Node.  Schiit Modi is still a good choice.

newzooreview

« Reply #41 on: 4 Aug 2022, 09:08 pm »
Cheapaudioman on Youtube compares a lot of less expensive DACs here: https://youtu.be/0Cv29Klqlsw?t=166

He will very bluntly say that he doesn't like something or doesn't think it is worthwhile for the money. He has affiliate links and makes money from his channel, but at least he doesn't find a way to praise everything he talks about and tries to compare things to each other.

I have not had any of the current iFi or Schiit DACs, so I don't have a recommendation from experience. I would only say that the DAC chip itself is only a part of the story. The whole design surrounding the chip is critical, so there is no way to say one DAC chip alway sounds better compared to another.

From the Cheapaudiophileman list I might be inclined to try the Topping E50. I have the Topping E30, and I agree with him that it is in the bottom tier, so perhaps his judgment has some merit. It is a bit confusing that and E50 model would be a lot better than an E30 model, but power supply and the analogue output stage make a huge difference, so an upgrade between two model numbers could be more significant than the naming implies.

newzooreview

« Reply #42 on: 4 Aug 2022, 09:13 pm »
Also, for a coaxial digital connection from Node to DAC, I would get a Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1694A. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

It is a solid, well made cable. With more refined equipment, a better cable will make a difference, but for the Node to a budget DAC the Blue Jeans is reliable and will not add any audible problems.

BikeFi10

« Reply #43 on: 4 Aug 2022, 11:53 pm »
I found info on the bluesound site on how to get to Node settings so hopefully I can twaek it in better. Found out it can get updated software as it becomes a available. Thats cool.

So appearently music file qualitys are like the different record pressings. Mike at In Groove Records reviews 5 to 10 different pressing of same record and they can range from bad to awesume.
I was hoping all hi rez music files would be equally good. Well, at least I can filter out the good and bad without buying first. It just stinks to pick out my fav music and some turns out to be a dud in quality.

Its the "catch 22" of a decent stereo rig. The difference between good and bad quality recordings is more exposed.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #44 on: 5 Aug 2022, 02:58 am »
If you want a warmer sound, the iFi DACs are a better option than Schiit DACS, IME.

I own a Schiit Modi 3 and it is warmer and darker.  It is not the most detailed but it sounds great for the price.  Ifi will be more detailed.  There are lots over reviews comparing ifi to schiit DAC's.

Keep in mind that usb cables can and do sound different with different DAC's.

I would look for a used Bifrost Multibit or Unison DAC.

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #45 on: 5 Aug 2022, 03:14 am »
Completely agree with regards to Schiit Multibit DACs.

Quite a while ago I got the opportunity to pick up a pre-owned Gungnir Multibit, and have not considered any digital source changes since. Plug a Bifrost Multibit into a streamer (like a Bluesound Node) or a computer, and you have a great source! :thumb:

BikeFi10

« Reply #46 on: 5 Aug 2022, 12:51 pm »
Found a used Bifrost , but turned out to be the old version AKM4490  chip.
I dont think its multibit? I havent seen any comparison reviews  to the newer version. I read where someone sent their old Bifrost to Schitt for a chip update awhile back, but again there is probably no  chip stock for this either.

I have seen a few used Modis. Crazy thing is their selling for very near same price as new, but Schitt is way backlogged due to chip shortage.

JMW73

« Reply #47 on: 5 Aug 2022, 12:54 pm »
Found a used Bifrost , but turned out to be the old version AKM4490  chip.
I dont think its multibit? I havent seen any comparison reviews  to the newer version. I read where someone sent their old Bifrost to Schitt for a chip update awhile back, but again there is probably no  chip stock for this either.

I have seen a few used Modis. Crazy thing is their selling for very near same price as new, but Schitt is way backlogged due to chip shortage.

That is not multibit.  You'll still like it and it'll be easy to upgrade because you'll be able to sell it for near what you paid for it (probably; don't know what you paid for it nor what the market will do in the near future).  What is your streaming solution?

newzooreview

« Reply #48 on: 5 Aug 2022, 02:48 pm »
There's a Bifrost Multibit on US Audiomart right now.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649881388-schiit-bifrost-multibit-gen-5-usb-silver/

I don't recall what your DAC budget was, however. It's $325.

BikeFi10

« Reply #49 on: 5 Aug 2022, 06:52 pm »
I did not buy the Bifrost AKM4490. Just seen it for sale. Just saw a review comparing it to the Bifrost multibit. Interesting, guy said one not nessarilly better than other just slightly different sound. Subjective thing I guess.
Appearently it can be upgraded to multibit which is cool.
Maybe Ill go with the Bifrost AKM 4490. Guy is asking $150. Try it, maybe upgrade if reasonably price or sell and try different down the road.
The $325 Bifrost multi is a bit much. I originally had a $400 budget for DAC/Streamer. Did good at $300 for Node 2i. But in the rabbit hole now itching for DAC upgrade.
Im trying Qobuz 1 month free. Might try Tidal next.
Thanks for following fellas!

newzooreview

« Reply #50 on: 5 Aug 2022, 07:31 pm »
It makes sense to check whether an external DAC produces a significant benefit. The Bifrost for $150 should give a clear indication of that.

I've tried Tidal and Qobuz and settled on Qobuz because of the focus on sound quality. Tidal took the route of marketing lossy compressed files as "studio quality" through their MQA branding and even charges manufacturers to license the algorithm to fully decompress them. This had the added drawback of reducing the number of high resolution albums on Tidal that were free of lossy compression.

A solidly technical, but very approachable, analysis was made by one of the Youtube channels if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/c/GoldenSound/search?query=mqa

artur9

« Reply #51 on: 5 Aug 2022, 10:54 pm »
Appearently it can be upgraded to multibit which is cool.
If you do buy it and upgrade it, the warranty gets renewed (or extended), iirc.  That's a nice thing.

I had a Bifrost Uber, which I liked a great deal.  All my other stuff prefers balanced, so I currently use a Gungnir MB.