Looking for some 'new' music,jazz oriented,but with some 'heaviness' thrown in.

Doublej

Yeah...Amazon Unlimited does the same thing.Huck

It's not a rich as AllMusic.

YMMV

simoon

My thanks to all who commented and gave suggestions.
Maybe I don't really know if what I am looking for actually exists.
Way back when I was younger,there were basically four types or genres of music..country,rock,jazz and classical...now there are so many genres,I can't keep up.
I know what I am NOT looking for and that's the 'old style' jazz, example: Buddy Rich,Gene Krupa,etc...that is not what I am looking for.
Rush to me sounds more 'Rock' than jazz.
I like a little sax thrown in and maybe some xylophone (Spyro Gyra)...maybe the genre I am looking for does not exist,but I have Amazon Unlimited,so I can try whatever titles,or genres and if I like the sound (musicianship and quality) enough,I MAY buy the CD. :scratch:Thanks,Huck

Yeah, I'm also not into the type of old jazz you mention.

And yes, Rush is not even close to jazz, in any way. Just because a band has great musicianship, plays extended songs, plays in some odd time signatures, does not make them related to jazz.

Just search YouTube for some of the recommendations from the top 2 lists off my post above. These are bands that have amazing chops, but they also have a good understanding of the jazz musical language.

Anything from this list is a good place to start:

Return to Forever - Where Have I known You Before, No Mystery, Romantic Warrior
Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior, Moroccan Roll, Masques, Product
Iceberg - Coses Nostres, Sentiments
Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun, Elegant Gypsy
Pierre Moerlin's Gong - Gazuese, Expresso II
Bruford - Feels Good To Me, One of a Kind
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean, Imaginary Voyage
Soft Machine - Bundles
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue, Road Games, I.O.U.

There is a pretty big difference between great musicians, that can play their asses off, and great musicians, that can play their asses off, but with a deep understanding of jazz language.

Huck

Yeah, I'm also not into the type of old jazz you mention.

And yes, Rush is not even close to jazz, in any way. Just because a band has great musicianship, plays extended songs, plays in some odd time signatures, does not make them related to jazz.

Just search YouTube for some of the recommendations from the top 2 lists off my post above. These are bands that have amazing chops, but they also have a good understanding of the jazz musical language.

Anything from this list is a good place to start:

Return to Forever - Where Have I known You Before, No Mystery, Romantic Warrior
Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior, Moroccan Roll, Masques, Product
Iceberg - Coses Nostres, Sentiments
Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun, Elegant Gypsy
Pierre Moerlin's Gong - Gazuese, Expresso II
Bruford - Feels Good To Me, One of a Kind
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean, Imaginary Voyage
Soft Machine - Bundles
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue, Road Games, I.O.U.

There is a pretty big difference between great musicians, that can play their asses off, and great musicians, that can play their asses off, but with a deep understanding of jazz language.

Thanks! Huck

simoon

Thanks! Huck

No problem.

I am not assuming you will like any of this stuff, but whenever someone says they are looking for heavier sounding jazz, this is the first kind of stuff that comes to mind.

There are are other forms of jazz, that are equally 'heavy', but in a different ways.

There are forms of contemporary acoustic jazz, that are heavy in that, they are very complex, and progressive.

Huck

No problem.

I am not assuming you will like any of this stuff, but whenever someone says they are looking for heavier sounding jazz, this is the first kind of stuff that comes to mind.

There are are other forms of jazz, that are equally 'heavy', but in a different ways.

There are forms of contemporary acoustic jazz, that are heavy in that, they are very complex, and progressive.
Thanks,seems like every music genre have 'sub genres',which I find hard to keep up with.Huck

Yog Sothoth

For something less than 40-years-old, try Hiromi - Alive, or any of her albums featuring her trio. Lot's of fun listening there.

I got Hiromi's Trio album Alive on your suggestion.  It's very good!  I'll definitely be getting more.  Thanks!

Huck

I got Hiromi's Trio album Alive on your suggestion.  It's very good!  I'll definitely be getting more.  Thanks!

Simon Phillips on drums....Nice!! What do I look up..Hiromi or Hiromi Trio??...can't find that( or they don't have it?) 'Alive' on Amazon Unlimited?!Huck

Yog Sothoth

Simon Phillips on drums....Nice!! What do I look up..Hiromi or Hiromi Trio??...can't find that Alive on Amazon Unlimited?!Huck

Don't know about streaming sources.  I got this:

https://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=9204889&style=music

Yog Sothoth

Simon Phillips on drums....Nice!! What do I look up..Hiromi or Hiromi Trio??...can't find that( or they don't have it?) 'Alive' on Amazon Unlimited?!Huck

I see quite a few copies on Ebay right now.

Huck

I see quite a few copies on Ebay right now.
I like streaming 'only' due to the fact that it's convenient,plus I can 'try before I buy".Huck

Yog Sothoth

I like streaming 'only' due to the fact that it's convenient,plus I can 'try before I buy".Huck

Your search must continue then!

Huck

Your search must continue then!

Found it on Discogs....Telarc 2014.Series: The Trio project....too much work to find! LOL. Huck

Yog Sothoth

Found it on Discogs....Telarc 2014.Series: The Trio project....too much work to find! LOL. Huck

I'm really enjoying it.  Just set up a small stereo in my garage after cleaning it out from 10 years of constipation, and I'm listening to it right now.  Now I can move forward on building my BMR speakers with the garage/shop organized.

Huck

I found it on AMZ,did a search for Hiromi 'Alive " and it came right up.Gonna check it.Huck

Yog Sothoth

I found it on AMZ,did a search for Hiromi 'Alive " and it came right up.Gonna check it.Huck

Great!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been.