Anyone here using hearing aids to listen to music?...music,not streaming

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I asked for a copy of my audio exam and they give it to me no problem,which surprised me. I definitely need HA's.
The exam only tests at 250,500,1000,4000,8000Hz which I guess is the range for speech,surely not music.
Gonna go with at least one more AO then shop for a pair of HA's and a phone(looking at the iPhone SE,any good?).Huck :thumb:
I'll say this one last time, and then I'm out. 
The provider is more important than the hearing aid.  If you buy at a discount house, expect discount results.  If your audiologist isn't supportive of your goals, then you won't be happy with the results. 
Best of luck with you search for better music. 

Huck

Bought the SE for my wife due to her vision impairment.
She doesn't use it for much anything than to make calls and as Siri questions but I think it's great for what it's intended for.

Don

Yeah..I don't need a fancy shmancy phone that has the best 3 lens camera or has the best graphics,bells and whistles,all I want it for is maybe a do/answer a few phone calls,I just want it mainly for the HA apps.
My wife has a newer phone,maybe an Android,I dunno,but she makes me take it when I go for walks...I hate it!..it's frickin huge,sticks out of my pocket and weighs my shorts down,but this SE is only 5 1/2" X 2 3/4",just nice,small and as long as I can see the characters with these old eyeballs.Huck
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2022, 01:29 am by Huck »

Mariusz Uszynski

Yeah..I don't need a fancy shmancy phone that has the best camera or best graphics,bells and whistles,all I want it for is maybe a few phone calls,mainly for the HA apps.
My wife has a newer phone,maybe an Android,I dunno,but she makes me take it when I go for walks...I hate it!..it's frickin huge,sticks out of my pocket and weighs my shorts down,but this SE is only 5 1/2" X 2 3/4",just nice,as long as I can see the characters with these old eyeballs.Huck

Huck, the iPhone 13 Mini 128GB (UNLOCKED-that's important) is the SMALLEST and LIGHTEST and NEWEST (so shorts stay up) iPhone and costs $949 with newer technology and has better screen.Keep in mind, this phone will serve you for years to come.My father's iPhone 6 128GB (8 years old, that's right!!!) is still kicking, I replaced the battery only one time.iPhone SE 64GB is $579 or 128GB is $649, smaller screen, older technology.You know, 13 Mini sounds like small Cadillac, one of those cute S.U.V.'s, where iPhone SE reminds me of russian Lada S.U.V.Remember those???Anyway, whatever you decide to buy, make sure to invest in Belkin Screen Protector $24.95 and Silicone Case $24.99 (light one, for shorts still up), because those two components will protect your phone.Another good feature is cordless charger $55, but not sure if you can use it on iPhone SE.It's very convenient feature though.Shit, I wonder if Apple is hiring???

Huck

Yeah..I don't need a fancy shmancy phone that has the best camera or best graphics,bells and whistles,all I want it for is maybe a few phone calls,mainly for the HA apps.
My wife has a newer phone,maybe an Android,I dunno,but she makes me take it when I go for walks...I hate it!..it's frickin huge,sticks out of my pocket and weighs my shorts down,but this SE is only 5 1/2" X 2 3/4",just nice,as long as I can see the characters with these old eyeballs.Huck

Huck, the iPhone 13 Mini 128GB (UNLOCKED-that's important) is the SMALLEST and LIGHTEST and NEWEST (so shorts stay up) iPhone and costs $949 with newer technology and has better screen.Keep in mind, this phone will serve you for years to come.My father's iPhone 6 128GB (8 years old, that's right!!!) is still kicking, I replaced the battery only one time.iPhone SE 64GB is $579 or 128GB is $649, smaller screen, older technology.You know, 13 Mini sounds like small Cadillac, one of those cute S.U.V.'s, where iPhone SE reminds me of russian Lada S.U.V.Remember those???Anyway, whatever you decide to buy, make sure to invest in Belkin Screen Protector $24.95 and Silicone Case $24.99 (light one, for shorts still up), because those two components will protect your phone.Another good feature is cordless charger $55, but not sure if you can use it on iPhone SE.It's very convenient feature though.Shit, I wonder if Apple is hiring???

Thanks but not sure I 'want' the smallest or lightest,I just want something that is "enough' to make the HA apps work and maybe answer a few calls,maybe the flashlight,plus it's gonna cost me a 'G'$ note just to control my HA's...I dunno....I just want a 'basic', bottom of the line as long as it can do the app thing...I'm good.Huck
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2022, 12:51 am by Huck »

Huck

This may seem like a few stupid questions but.....how you manage when you want to listen to headphones,(if you listen to hp's),do you listen with 'em' in or out(aids)...?
Also,does your hearing change from one day to the next,as today my hearing is bad,but last night it was better,so does your hearing have 'good' and 'bad' days,or this just something that goes with the hearing loss territory?

Another one...tonight I could not get 'enough' volume from my headphone amp,where it sounded right(probably it's too loud already and I just can't hear it!) but the other night I could easily listen at half volume,so does your hearing 'quality' alternate daily?

One more...Is that how it all starts out (alternating with good/bad days) and will it finally stop alternating or changing. :scratch:Huck
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2022, 08:31 am by Huck »

Mariusz Uszynski

This may seem like a few stupid questions but.....how you manage when you want to listen to headphones,(if you listen to hp's),do you listen with 'em' in or out(aids)...?
Also,does your hearing change from one day to the next,as today my hearing is bad,but last night it was better,so does your hearing have 'good' and 'bad' days,or this is something that goes with territory?
Another one...tonight I could not get enough volume from headphone amp,where it sounded right(probably it's too loud already and I don't know it!) and the other night
I could listen easily at half volume....does hearing alternate daily, is that 'normal' or is that unique to just me or that just goes with hearing loss?
One more...Is that how it will start with me,the 'newbie' hearing loss guy,start like that (alternating good/bad days) and finally stop alternating those good and bad days,or should I say 'bad' days and 'worst' days :scratch:Huck

-Headhpones with or without HA, if your HA is ITE (in the ear) maybe, BTE (behind the ear) I doubt it.
-Good day/bad day hearing exist?There're bad days, when even HA doesn't help with listening to music, I just don't bother and
 watch TV.
-The volume; perhaps if you listened to cd player, each cd is recorded differently, volume wise.Maybe bad day hearing, your ears
 were plugged.It's just a theory.
-That's all I have.

Huck

Also,does your hearing change from one day to the next,as today my hearing is bad,but last night it was better,so does your hearing have 'good' and 'bad' days,or this is something that goes with territory?
Another one...tonight I could not get enough volume from headphone amp,where it sounded right(probably it's too loud already and I don't know it!) and the other night
I could listen easily at half volume....does hearing alternate daily, is that 'normal' or is that unique to just me or that just goes with hearing loss?
One more...Is that how it will start with me,the 'newbie' hearing loss guy,start like that (alternating good/bad days) and finally stop alternating those good and bad days,or should I say 'bad' days and 'worst' days :scratch:Huck

-Headhpones with or without HA, if your HA is ITE (in the ear) maybe, BTE (behind the ear) I doubt it.
-Good day/bad day hearing exist?There're bad days, when even HA doesn't help with listening to music, I just don't bother and
 watch TV.
-The volume; perhaps if you listened to cd player, each cd is recorded differently, volume wise.Maybe bad day hearing, your ears
-That's all I have.
I don't know if situation is normal for me and just "goes with the territory',but last night hearing was good,I could hear the wife cooking,tonight,I can stand in front of microwave and I won't hear the beep!....plus last night, I did some listening to some streaming,the volume was half/way,tonight,I couldn't get enough V...go figure?!Huck
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2022, 07:44 am by Huck »

Huck

watch TV.
-That's all I have.
When you say "bad days",what does that mean?.Thanks,Huck

Huck

Mariusz...how come all your 'quote' posts all end up together in the same grey box? :scratch:Huck

Mariusz Uszynski

I press "Quote" on right top, whenever I try to follow your train of thought.I don't really know, how to put it better in English.

DannyBadorine

I know that you're located in Canada but I have worked with this doctor in Chicago before.  He specializes in musicians, hearing loss and in-ear monitors.  He's an amazing guy and if you can get to him, I would highly recommend it.  You could also ask him if he knows anyone in Canada who could help you better.
https://www.sensaphonics.com/pages/dr-michael-santucci-audiologist

Huck

I know that you're located in Canada but I have worked with this doctor in Chicago before.  He specializes in musicians, hearing loss and in-ear monitors.  He's an amazing guy and if you can get to him, I would highly recommend it.  You could also ask him if he knows anyone in Canada who could help you better.
https://www.sensaphonics.com/pages/dr-michael-santucci-audiologist
Thanks,I sent him a note.Huck

Huck

Do different brands of HA's have their own phone system,as far as apps that they are compatible with?...for example Widex may be using strictly Apple iOS,or say,Phonak
only uses Android,or are most HA brands compatible with various other operating systems?.Huck :scratch:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Do different brands of HA's have their own phone system,as far as apps that they are compatible with?...for example Widex may be using strictly Apple iOS,or say,Phonak
only uses Android,or are most HA brands compatible with various other operating systems?.Huck :scratch:
Your audiologist should have covered this with you (If not, pick another audiologist). They will know the answers better than any of us.
Having said that, most HA manufacturers work more closely with Apple, but still have some functionality with Android. 

Huck

Your audiologist should have covered this with you (If not, pick another audiologist). They will know the answers better than any of us.
Having said that, most HA manufacturers work more closely with Apple, but still have some functionality with Android.

I go next week to pick and choose HA's.
Just thought I could get some real answers from actual users first.Thanks,Huck

artur9

Here's a new source of annoyance in this space:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00587/full

HFE is sound above 5KHz.

The historical and physical factors reveal that, while HFE was believed to be unnecessary and/or impractical for applications of interest, it was never shown to be perceptually insignificant. Rather, the main causes for focus on low-frequency energy appear to be because the low-frequency portion of the speech spectrum was seen to be sufficient (from a perceptual standpoint), or the difficulty of HFE research was too great to be justifiable (from a technological standpoint).

Huck

This question is for people who use the RIC type HA...do use different domes for different 'acitivities',example, using 'closed' or 'open'  domes for speech or 'power domes' for mainly listening to music?Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2022, 02:44 pm by Huck »

Craig B

I press "Quote" on right top, whenever I try to follow your train of thought.I don't really know, how to put it better in English.

When you use the "Quote" button, make sure you start typing your reply after the bracketed code that closes the quote. Otherwise your comments end up in the same box as the quoted text.

Huck

This question is for people who use the RIC (BTE) type HA's...do use different domes for different 'acitivities',example, using 'closed' or 'open'  domes for speech or 'power domes' for mainly listening to music?Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2022, 08:52 pm by Huck »

Huck

Just wondering if anyone here is using the Widex Moment 330RIC HA's,as I am trying out a pair and I have the Widex app,whereby I can control the volume and add or cut bass,midrange and treble.My AO set me up with a speech and music program which use no equalization and she just added what I was missing up top.
I tried listening to my main stereo system with speakers and subwoofer and to be honest,it sounded like a cheap alarm clock and had the bass all the way up,mids and treble as low as I could go using the Widex app.I listened for about 2 minutes and I shut everything off...what am I doing or not doing??...seems like all I am listening to is the HA's and not my stereo.
I understand that most HA's only go up to 8-10K,but how low do most HA's go...maybe that's why I can't squeeze anymore bass out of them.
My "normal" volume was around 60 on the volume control on my pre-amp with tons of bass,with a 12 inch RCF subwoofer...but I tried at that 'normal; volume and it was unlistenable and I am highly disgusted with the whole HA thing...I thought my stereo would sound waaay better with HA's..I was wrong!!
I can play around with some of the different settings,but I don't think I will be getting anywhere near what I had before my hearing went out.
These HA's I am trying are one down from the top and are not cheap,so maybe I can get a 'little closer' to the sound I want by going up to the top of the line ,which was my original plan...I dunno,maybe I need to look at a different brand?..From one AO I talked to,these Widex Moments are supposed to be the 'go to' for musicians,audiophiles.
My AO kinda 'gets' what I am after,music wise,but I think her main 'bread and butter' is dealing mainly in speech recognition.
Maybe these HA's are made to be streamed from a Smart phone or some other portable device,but sure as Heck,they aren't any good for straight speaker listening,as far as I can tell...any ideas??!!
These Widex Moment 330's are $5546.00 CAN per pair,next ones up(440's) are another $1K extra,so they ain't cheap! :(Thanks,Huck

« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2022, 10:05 pm by Huck »