New OS3 to replace Manic Moose

gbaby

Re: New OS3 to replace Manic Moose
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jul 2022, 01:44 pm »
Have you been in touch with Chris Rice? ( crice@bryston.com )
He’s helped me a lot with several issues.

I have been in contact with Chris. We never could get the wi fi working on the BDP3, and as far as the two from USB inputs not working, he sent me a "harness" to put in the BDP3, and I have been trying to get instructions no how to put it in. I am seriously considering buying a portable hard drive, and use it rather than bother with the two front USB inputs.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #61 on: 21 Jul 2022, 02:19 pm »
I have been in contact with Chris. We never could get the wi fi working on the BDP3, and as far as the two from USB inputs not working, he sent me a "harness" to put in the BDP3, and I have been trying to get instructions no how to put it in. I am seriously considering buying a portable hard drive, and use it rather than bother with the two front USB inputs.

Disappointing to hear!
What’s the harness supposed to do? Is it a replacement or an add-on?
Chris should have sent you pics and instructions with the harness! If not…👎🏼👎🏼

I definitely think a portable HD is the way to go. I’m using a 1Tb Samsung SSD and it’s flawless. Plenty of capacity for my library (the part I listen to that is!) I have a 6TB & a 2TB desktop HD for everything music, so I can backup and shuffle what’s on my SSD, at will.

gbaby

« Reply #62 on: 21 Jul 2022, 07:31 pm »
Disappointing to hear!

I definitely think a portable HD is the way to go. I’m using a 1Tb Samsung SSD and it’s flawless. Plenty of capacity for my library (the part I listen to that is!) I have a 6TB & a 2TB desktop HD for everything music, so I can backup and shuffle what’s on my SSD, at will.

I have absolutely no idea. And, I am not going to open up the unit just to experiment. I am using 4 USB drives in the back for music an the other two USB drives in the rear are used to connect USB to the SP3 and the BDA3. I have run out of space for my 4 USB drives in the rear that I use for music. I think that if I copy one of the rear USB drives to a hard drive, it will be enough space for me forever. For the record, I am not upset with Bryston or Chris. I figure working on the new operating system is keeping him busy.

zoom25

« Reply #63 on: 21 Jul 2022, 07:39 pm »
I have absolutely no idea. And, I am not going to open up the unit just to experiment. I am using 4 USB drives in the back for music an the other two USB drives in the rear are used to connect USB to the SP3 and the BDA3. I have run out of space for my 4 USB drives in the rear that I use for music. I think that if I copy one of the rear USB drives to a hard drive, it will be enough space for me forever. For the record, I am not upset with Bryston or Chris. I figure working on the new operating system is keeping him busy.

I have no idea of your setup, but having permanent music library split up on multiple drives seems like a headache to maintain. Go for a NAS with a big drive and get all the noise away from the unit. Portable drives go as big as 5TB. WD Easystores 14TB goes on sale every Black Friday and it's the most economic pricing per TB. It was around $18-19/TB which is insane.

gbaby

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jul 2022, 09:38 pm »
I have no idea of your setup, but having permanent music library split up on multiple drives seems like a headache to maintain. Go for a NAS with a big drive and get all the noise away from the unit. Portable drives go as big as 5TB. WD Easystores 14TB goes on sale every Black Friday and it's the most economic pricing per TB. It was around $18-19/TB which is insane.

I am using four (4) separate USB 512 USB drives. It works great. However, I ran out of space which is why I may get a 1 or 2 gig hard drive. I will not be buying enough music to load a hard drive.

gbaby

« Reply #65 on: 5 Aug 2022, 02:12 am »
Disappointing to hear!

I just added a 2 Terabyte Toshiba USB drive to one of the rear USB inputs and I believe I will never need any more space for music with what I already own. Whatever complaint I may have had about not being able to use the front USB drives are irrelevant. Plus I get to keep the front clean without the USB drives sticking out. I cannot expect too much more from Manic Moose. It serves all my needs for delivering uncompressed digital music in a simple yet elegant form.
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2022, 01:19 pm by gbaby »

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #66 on: 5 Aug 2022, 02:14 am »
I just added a 2 Terabyte Toshiba USB drive to one of the rear USB inputs and I believe I will never need any more space for music with what I already own. Whatever complaint I may have had about not being able to use the front USB drives are irrelevant. Plus I get to keep the front clean without the USB drives sticking out. I cannot expect to much more from Manic Moose. It serves all my needs for delivering uncompressed digital music in a simple yet elegant form.

Excellent! Glad you’re happy with your setup 👍👍👍✌🏻

gbaby

« Reply #67 on: 12 Aug 2022, 01:19 pm »
Excellent! Glad you’re happy with your setup 👍👍👍✌🏻

On second thought, the 2 terabyte hard drive may not be the solution. I loaded music on it and it takes about 30 seconds for the music to play once you load it and hit play. I think this is because I need to use USB flash drive and not a USB hard drive. At this point, my only solution will be to send it back to Bryston and get them to fix the two front USB inputs. I also noticed with the hard drive there was a few pauses in the music.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #68 on: 12 Aug 2022, 04:45 pm »
On second thought, the 2 terabyte hard drive may not be the solution. I loaded music on it and it takes about 30 seconds for the music to play once you load it and hit play. I think this is because I need to use USB flash drive and not a USB hard drive. At this point, my only solution will be to send it back to Bryston and get them to fix the two front USB inputs. I also noticed with the hard drive there was a few pauses in the music.

Sounds like Bryston might be your best bet 🫤

drummermitchell

« Reply #69 on: 13 Aug 2022, 12:59 am »
Have had my bdp-2 for years and no problems front or back.
Also have a 2 terabyte seagate and always showtime as I delete and make new playlists.
No pauses here.
Today received some infinity s7 fans(usb)and plugged them into the bdp-2!
All’s good.
She should have been good from the start.

gbaby

« Reply #70 on: 13 Aug 2022, 03:02 pm »
Have had my bdp-2 for years and no problems front or back.
Also have a 2 terabyte seagate and always showtime as I delete and make new playlists.
No pauses here.
Today received some infinity s7 fans(usb)and plugged them into the bdp-2!
All’s good.
She should have been good from the start.

Thanks for the information. 8)

jcn3

« Reply #71 on: 13 Aug 2022, 04:35 pm »

the bdp-2 manual states that the usb ports can only supply 50ma to power devices.  this is a VERY small amount.  if you're using anything other than a flash drive, i would expect issues because of the lack of available current.  anything other than a flash drive should be powered externally.

gbaby

« Reply #72 on: 15 Aug 2022, 01:29 pm »
the bdp-2 manual states that the usb ports can only supply 50ma to power devices.  this is a VERY small amount.  if you're using anything other than a flash drive, i would expect issues because of the lack of available current.  anything other than a flash drive should be powered externally.

Thanks for your post. It makes sense to me.  8)

zoom25

« Reply #73 on: 15 Aug 2022, 06:39 pm »

That's a typo. It should be 500ma. I've powered flash drives, spinning portable hard drives from WD/Seagate, and portable Sandisk SSDs off every port from the BDP-1. The BDP-1 had the 500ma split across 3 of the USB ports and the 4th one was a dedicated one (rear bottom).

The BDP-2 has even more juice. That 50ma is a typo.

gbaby

« Reply #74 on: 16 Aug 2022, 04:02 pm »
That's a typo. It should be 500ma. I've powered flash drives, spinning portable hard drives from WD/Seagate, and portable Sandisk SSDs off every port from the BDP-1. The BDP-1 had the 500ma split across 3 of the USB ports and the 4th one was a dedicated one (rear bottom).

Thanks. Do you think the BDP 2 or 3 have enough power to access a 2 terabyte USB hard drive?

drummermitchell

« Reply #75 on: 16 Aug 2022, 05:37 pm »
My bdp-2 has to be 5yr or more and have had the 2T Seagate ext drive for the same amount of time.

jcn3

« Reply #76 on: 16 Aug 2022, 07:34 pm »

that's a rather significant typo.  i was surprised to see such a small amount.  500mA is much better, 1 amp would be ideal.

gbaby

« Reply #77 on: 17 Aug 2022, 06:40 pm »
My bdp-2 has to be 5yr or more and have had the 2T Seagate ext drive for the same amount of time.

I am now thinking that power to the hard drive is not the problem as I put about 300 gigs of DSD files on the Toshiba hard drive and they all play perfectly without skipping or pausing. Subsequently, I put the entire catalog of music by a smooth jazz Artist named Vincent Ingala and this is when my problems started. I am thinking that the files may have been corrupted on installation so I am going to delete this file and start all over with installing them. This will be done tonight and I will let you know what happened. If your 2T Seagate works, so though my 2T Toshiba.  :oops:

zoom25

« Reply #78 on: 17 Aug 2022, 08:25 pm »
Thanks. Do you think the BDP 2 or 3 have enough power to access a 2 terabyte USB hard drive?

Yes, it will power any modern portable 2.5" drives from the likes of Seagate, Sandisk, or WD. As you go up in TB size, the power requirements do increase a little bit, but nothing that will cause issues. On my BDP-1 which had a far weaker power supply, I could simultaneously power 2 x 2.5" portable drives (2TB and 4TB) and also a flash drive.

The power limit of the USB ports was more of an issue back then because the BDP-1 had a weak power supply and the drives weren't as efficient and were bulkier as well. Nowadays, the drives have gotten more efficient and Bryston made sure to juice up the power supply with BDP-2 and BDP-3 to avoid the issues of BDP-1 and its smaller power supply.

zoom25

« Reply #79 on: 17 Aug 2022, 08:27 pm »
that's a rather significant typo.  i was surprised to see such a small amount.  500mA is much better, 1 amp would be ideal.

BDP-3 has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports. I'm not sure how much those USB 3.0 can supply, but that can potentially be close to 1A/900mA.

Bryston can maybe clear it up rather than us speculate.