Anyone want to help a young, budding audiophile?

popthinker

Re: Anyone want to help a young, budding audiophile?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2021, 09:23 pm »
Vance

I didn't realize he needed a phono input. Here are a couple choices from Craiglist

NAD 7140 - $250
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/chesterfield-nad-7140-stereo-receiver/7325249687.html

If I needed an integrated, I'd grab that NAD in a heartbeat.

I loved my NAD 7175pe, so I'm an advocate for the 7140, too. Lots of headroom. Sounds both revealing and a trifle warm, perfect for vinyl. The downside to these NADs is that the tuner never seems to hold the stations, but these days that's not really the issue it used to be.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2021, 12:38 am by popthinker »

vhiner

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2021, 04:53 am »
So, guys. Here’s an update. That cherry NAD was gone within 24 hours. So, we snoozed and loozed. Dang.  David’s decided to turn the Philips over for repair and use a loaner amp/preamp combo from Blackmore. It’ll buy him some time, giving him an opportunity to hear how the Philips sound compares to something completely different. Thanks to everyone who’s offering suggestions. Now David can consider all the options without feeling pressure.

Please don’t hesitate to post or PM me any leads for good deals you see for $300 and under. David’s very early in his audio journey, but so far, he prefers a “fat” warmer sound as opposed to stuff that edges toward analytical. He likes quite a bit of “thump” in his playback and has the good taste to prefer vinyl. ;-) His starter turntable, which he saved up for from his meager paycheck is a Fluance RT81 with the stock Audio Technica MM cartridge. When he was in California last month, he bartered with a record store owner and snagged a first edition mono copy of Revolver. Huge smile on his face when he dropped the needle back in St. Louis. He’s got years of fun ahead of him.  Thanks again to everyone who’s helping out.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2021, 05:21 pm »
I'm a bit late but have a Parasound 750 power amp and Emotiva USP-1 preamp, both work great just not using them, the preamp remote doesn't work.  I'd sell the combo for $200.00.  The 50 can e bridged if he ever came across another.  I bought the USP-1 for the sub out with crossover.

vhiner

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jul 2021, 06:40 am »
I'm a bit late but have a Parasound 750 power amp and Emotiva USP-1 preamp, both work great just not using them, the preamp remote doesn't work.  I'd sell the combo for $200.00.  The 50 can e bridged if he ever came across another.  I bought the USP-1 for the sub out with crossover.

Mr. Peabody, thanks so much for that generous offer, but it looks like we’re set at this point. That’s a killer deal and much appreciated.

Since last posting GAS member CZ606 (Christian) has made his vintage Luxman R-117 integrated amplifier with MM and MC phono stage available to young David. Smiles ear to ear! Between that and Blackmore’s gear, David is having a great time making comparisons and saving cash to get his vintage Philips repaired by Mike Missel.

I want to thank everyone for all of the great tips and offers of assistance. It proves once again that the Gateway Audio Society and Audio Circle are where the good folks hang out. David said to me the other day, “Dude, these guys are awesome!”  Couldn’t have said it better!

Best,

Vance

Cz606

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jul 2021, 09:52 pm »
It was really nice to meet David and is great to see another generation interested in audio. Interestingly, I think my wife was happiest as she got to see a piece of stereo equipment leave our house for once  :).