The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

BobRex

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #920 on: 9 Aug 2022, 10:55 pm »
If you really want to get pedantic - Roger developed the curved electrostatic panel and decided it wasn't worth the effort.  Gayle (and Ron) took Roger's design and flew with it.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #921 on: 9 Aug 2022, 11:01 pm »
Do the super 7's use neo 8's or neo 10's?

Danny Richie

« Reply #922 on: 9 Aug 2022, 11:03 pm »
Do the super 7's use neo 8's or neo 10's?

Each speaker used four Neo 10's.

mkane

« Reply #923 on: 10 Aug 2022, 02:11 am »
 And there missing in action

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #924 on: 10 Aug 2022, 02:47 am »
Each speaker used four Neo 10's.

Thanks...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #925 on: 12 Aug 2022, 02:41 am »
OK, back to our Super-7 systems, please.

The Allnic A-6000 amps--see post 907 above--are ordered, the bank transfer will be issued tomorrow (Friday the 12), and I'm very excited.. I've talked to my electrician about converting two of my dedicated 20A. dedicated lines in a single 24-VAC line, and I'll be using, initially, the original British-standard 1363 outlets, outlet boxes, and powercords.  Tubes supplied are NOS Philips ECL85 input/drivers and a set of Psvanne 300Bs.. I also have a pair of NOS Tesla ECL85s coming.

The retailer is having custom shipping crates built (for £200).  With these 3000Bs in them, max continuous power is 50 Watts per chassis, PLENTY-much for S7s.

More later.. Meawhile my S7s, driven by the new-to-me (and 'stock') Atma-Sphere M-60s, are sounding excellent, and I think the new positioning is the best ever.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2022, 04:32 am by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #926 on: 12 Aug 2022, 11:03 pm »
The Allnic A-6000 50-Watt, SET monoamps were ordered this week and the bank transfer was done today.. These amps are unique in that they use four 300B D(irectly)H(eated) triodes in parallel and that a pentode is used to drive the 300Bs with as much as 150 Volts (I think that's p-to-p) to get 12-1/2 Watts per tube instead of the normal 8 Watts per tube.. With Emission Labs' 300B-SLXs, the amp will make 60 Watts.. They use Permalloy cores in the output transformer and two chokes (and maybe power t-former too).. Tube complement is an 6GV8/ECL805 triode/pentode plus the 300Bs.

They're also graced with an XLR input to accommodate those of us who use only balanced cables.

Should be here by end of August.

bernardo

« Reply #927 on: 13 Aug 2022, 01:55 pm »
Can anyone tell me whether the resistor in the Super-7 passive crossover is in the signal path to the Neo-3 driver?

Also what is the crossover frequency between the Neo-10s and the Neo-3?

mkane

« Reply #928 on: 13 Aug 2022, 02:16 pm »
 I would think that would depend on sub-adjustments. Dial down at 120 on the plate amp and in real life, measured probably around 175Hz.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #929 on: 13 Aug 2022, 02:26 pm »
Can anyone tell me whether the resistor in the Super-7 passive crossover is in the signal path to the Neo-3 driver?

It is not in the signal path and it’s not on the tweeter circuit.

Jaytor

« Reply #930 on: 13 Aug 2022, 03:04 pm »
The Allnic A-6000 50-Watt, SET monoamps were ordered this week and the bank transfer was done today..

They're also graced with an XLR input to accommodate those of us who use only balanced cables.

Should be here by end of August.

That looks like a very nice amp.  Congrats.

I wonder about the XLR input though. From the photos in the 6 moons review, it sort of looks like only one phase of the balanced connection is used, but it's not the sharpest photo so I could easily be missing something. I took a look at it to see if they were using a transformer, but didn't see anything. It could be that the shielded input cable that goes from the input connectors to the input circuit is actually a balanced cable, but it doesn't look like it too me. Perhaps there is an option to add an input transformer.

At any rate, beautiful amp.

bernardo

« Reply #931 on: 13 Aug 2022, 03:12 pm »
Thank you corndog.

mkane - I am asking for the crossover frequency between the midrange and treble drivers, not between the bass and midrange.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #932 on: 13 Aug 2022, 08:25 pm »
That looks like a very nice amp.  Congrats.

I wonder about the XLR input though. From the photos in the 6 moons review, it sort of looks like only one phase of the balanced connection is used, but it's not the sharpest photo so I could easily be missing something. I took a look at it to see if they were using a transformer, but didn't see anything. It could be that the shielded input cable that goes from the input connectors to the input circuit is actually a balanced cable, but it doesn't look like it too me. Perhaps there is an option to add an input transformer.

At any rate, beautiful amp.

TY and TY.

"... it sort of looks like only one phase of the balanced connection is used".. I expect that's correct; I'll know in a couple weeks.. But that makes sense, as it's a single-ended amp and has no 'use' for the negative-polarity half of the balanced signal.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #933 on: 13 Aug 2022, 09:01 pm »
I have a tube preamp that's the same way.

Jaytor

« Reply #934 on: 14 Aug 2022, 03:14 pm »
TY and TY.

"... it sort of looks like only one phase of the balanced connection is used".. I expect that's correct; I'll know in a couple weeks.. But that makes sense, as it's a single-ended amp and has no 'use' for the negative-polarity half of the balanced signal.

It looks like there is plenty of room to add an input transformer on the XLR inputs. If you are using a balanced preamp, you might consider seeing if they will add one for you. I am using a Jensen transformer in my 300B PSET amps and it sounds great.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #935 on: 20 Aug 2022, 08:39 pm »
It looks like there is plenty of room to add an input transformer on the XLR inputs. If you are using a balanced preamp, you might consider seeing if they will add one for you. I am using a Jensen transformer in my 300B PSET amps and it sounds great.

OK...I'm a little foggy here...what is the benefit of a transformer if the amp NEVER uses the negative waveform?
------------------------------
For whatever it's worth, I'm getting typical-for-this-dealer noncommunications on his progress of building shipping cases and actually shipping the amps.. Oh well...his previous behavior warned me.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2022, 03:08 am by jeffreybehr »

BobRex

« Reply #936 on: 20 Aug 2022, 09:39 pm »
I think you are getting a little confused.  The amplifier MUST use the negative wave, otherwise you have a rectifier (half wave at this point).  Keep in mind a single ended signal carries the full signal (positive and negative) on one line.  I would think that if you connected a balanced output from a pre or DAC via a true balanced cable, you are going to have problems.  Are the Allnic pre outs true balanced or are they cheating there?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #937 on: 20 Aug 2022, 10:45 pm »
The negative polarity is just the original signal 180deg inverted in phase.   The positive polarity is the original signal. 

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #938 on: 21 Aug 2022, 03:25 am »
I think you are getting a little confused.  The amplifier MUST use the negative wave, otherwise you have a rectifier (half wave at this point).  Keep in mind a single ended signal carries the full signal (positive and negative) on one line.  I would think that if you connected a balanced output from a pre or DAC via a true balanced cable, you are going to have problems.  Are the Allnic pre outs true balanced or are they cheating there?

WOW; I think both of us are really confused.. First, ALL the musical info is included in the complete positive-polarity wavefom and also the complete negative-polarity waveform; neither signal is half-wave, both are full-wave.. Single-ended amplifiers use only the positive-polarity waveform; that's why they're called single-ended instead of balanced or push-pull.. The line-level negative-polarity waveform is never used even if it's sent down a balanced cable and inputted thru an XLR connector.. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see the negative pin grounded with a 100K resistor.

I'm using a Marantz pre/pro, and even tho it does have balanced inputs, I don't know if it's truly balanced (all the way thru) or if the negative-polarity waveform of the balanced signal is created at the output stage simply to 'have' balanced outputs.

Read HAL's beautifully concise explanation above if you're still confused.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2024, 09:56 pm by jeffreybehr »

Jaytor

« Reply #939 on: 22 Aug 2022, 03:11 pm »
With a differential input (such as using a input line transformer), the audio signal is the difference between the two input signals (+ and = phase) and is independent of the ground connection. This can provide two advantages. 1) any common mode noise, such as what might be picked up by the interconnect, is eliminated, and 2) any noise or offset between the ground connection at the source and the amp is ignored (minimizing any ground loop problems).

If your pre/pro and your amp are plugged into the same outlet or conditioner, and your interconnects are fairly short, these advantages are not significant, and you are probably better off using single ended connections. I believe that most good RCA interconnects will work better than a comparably priced XLR cable if you are not using the negative phase signal. RCA interconnects are designed assuming that the common ground will also be used as the signal return. XLR interconnects are not designed with this in mind.

But if you plan to (or ever expect to) place your amplifier near your speakers and separate from the rest of your gear, the ability to take full advantage of balanced connections might be worthwhile.

I use 7M balanced interconnects from my preamp to my monoblock amps, and while they are plugged into the same dedicated circuit, the outlet (for my right amp) is on the other side of the room from my preamp. Balanced interconnects sound noticeably better with a blacker background and better overall sound quality. Looking at the signal to the driver stage (after the input transformer for balanced) on my amp with my inexpensive oscilloscope showed an obvious reduction in background noise.