I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #360 on: 2 Aug 2022, 08:44 pm »
Audyn, Jantzen and Solen are some good alternatives on a budget, with Mundorf Evo caps are also pretty good as well. Then Sonicaps in $30-50 range for great clarity and detail, and then Miflex or Jupiter copper caps and VCap ODAMs being killer at the top end price of of things, depending on the "flavor" / tone you want from them.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #361 on: 3 Aug 2022, 12:38 am »
I will probably try some Jantzen and the new Obbligato Gold Ultra premium caps.  I need 15 and 22uf caps at minimum 250v.  And they can't be huge.

RAART

« Reply #362 on: 13 Aug 2022, 05:59 pm »
Thank you for reply.

I just didn't realize that someone responded here (new to this forum) as I was thinking I will get email alert. Anyway I will think about that no-res option as well but still curious about upgrading the x-overs. I am not worried about the glued x-over since I can re-glue them after as well. In the past I have upgraded old Kef iQ30 and used hot glue after I put them back on the pegs. They are long gone now but I did enjoyed much better sound after the modification. I have upgraded everything with slightly changed x-over that I have received instructions from nice gent from UK (I think that he even worked for KEF since he had service manual with all schematics handy). I have ordered parts from Jantzen audio, custom made inductors, and some mundorf capacitors. Do not remember the brand I used to replace the resistors but the improvement was amazing. Totally transformed the speaker. I am still missing those but karma struck and they are gone. They got stolen when I was moving the household to another location. Never trust the "professional movers"...

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #363 on: 13 Aug 2022, 06:20 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, RAART!

To receive email notification for new posts in any thread, press the ‘Notify’ button at the bottom of the page.

elgato3

« Reply #364 on: 14 Sep 2022, 11:26 pm »
Hello Danny,

It's my first time posting here... I like to know if you still have an x-over upgrade kit available for Bohlender Graebener Radia FS-520 speaker.

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #365 on: 15 Sep 2022, 08:08 pm »
Hello Danny,

It's my first time posting here... I like to know if you still have an x-over upgrade kit available for Bohlender Graebener Radia FS-520 speaker.

Thanks

No, I have not designed anything for that model.

elgato3

« Reply #366 on: 19 Sep 2022, 11:18 pm »
Thank you, Danny.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #367 on: 24 Sep 2022, 12:07 am »
No, I have not designed anything for that model.

Was it my speakers or some speakers that you can make sound better?

I have Bryston Middle-T passive loudspeakers and really have no complaints about their performance yet, as an always questioning audiophile, has something been left on the table? As far as I know, none of the caps are bypassed, it uses iron core inductors and normal binding posts. Internal methods for resonance attenuation is unknown although likely not on the scale of your hi-rez product I would assume.

Is it necessary that you be familiar with any particular make/model of loudspeaker to improve the sound or could you provide premium components as replacement given the manufacturers standard values, available in an air core type, bypassed, non-electolytic, etc.

Confirmation of improvement by measurements means little to me. If it sounds better and it can be done at a reasonable price why not?

What do you think?

Danny Richie

« Reply #368 on: 24 Sep 2022, 08:48 pm »
Was it my speakers or some speakers that you can make sound better?

I have Bryston Middle-T passive loudspeakers and really have no complaints about their performance yet, as an always questioning audiophile, has something been left on the table? As far as I know, none of the caps are bypassed, it uses iron core inductors and normal binding posts. Internal methods for resonance attenuation is unknown although likely not on the scale of your hi-rez product I would assume.

Is it necessary that you be familiar with any particular make/model of loudspeaker to improve the sound or could you provide premium components as replacement given the manufacturers standard values, available in an air core type, bypassed, non-electolytic, etc.

Confirmation of improvement by measurements means little to me. If it sounds better and it can be done at a reasonable price why not?

What do you think?

I think those were built by Axiom. I have tested, measured, and worked on several of those.

I would suspect if fairly to budget level crossover. So I would image there is a lot of room for improvement.

You can send pics of the crossovers to get some feedback, or send in one of the speakers and we can measure it to see what it is doing.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #369 on: 25 Sep 2022, 04:11 am »
I think those were built by Axiom. I have tested, measured, and worked on several of those.

I would suspect if fairly to budget level crossover. So I would image there is a lot of room for improvement.

You can send pics of the crossovers to get some feedback, or send in one of the speakers and we can measure it to see what it is doing.

I found out that a premium version of the xover is already available from Bryston.
Thanks

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #370 on: 25 Sep 2022, 04:10 pm »
If their “premium” crossover is like the Model T’s external crossover pictured below then you’re still looking at a crossover that could use some tweaking.  They use cheap resistors, don’t arrange their coils to minimize interference, although they do use Clarity Caps but no telling which version.  Looks like their SA series.  Oh, and there’s all of those bulky binding posts.  Having a circuit board looks nice but is unnecessary.  I wonder how much it costs versus what Danny could provide. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #371 on: 25 Sep 2022, 06:20 pm »
It's the issue same with a lot of the Crites crossover upgrades.
They are often improvements in some areas, but there are often still parts that hold it back, especially using the steel screw posts to connect the wires to the crossovers to the drivers/input.

It's handy cuz they're already built on nice clean boards with no soldering required, but there are compromises still being made that will hold it back.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #372 on: 26 Sep 2022, 08:43 pm »
If their “premium” crossover is like the Model T’s external crossover pictured below then you’re still looking at a crossover that could use some tweaking.  They use cheap resistors, don’t arrange their coils to minimize interference, although they do use Clarity Caps but no telling which version.  Looks like their SA series.  Oh, and there’s all of those bulky binding posts.  Having a circuit board looks nice but is unnecessary.  I wonder how much it costs versus what Danny could provide. 

I see a highly polished example of premium quality components competently assembled in a secure and repeatable package. Gold plated, 5 way binding posts, heavy gauge wires, decent caps, a nice looking metal case, and some coils at 90 deg. (in spite of your claims). Maybe you should have a look at the recent high pass filter thread here and tell me that a PC board isn't necessary. Thanks for showing what the signature xover actually looks like, this only confirms my suspicions that some opinions on the fringe are truly incomprehensible.
Shit, even the resistors are elevated so as to not discolor and damage the board from heat transfer. What more do you want?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #373 on: 26 Sep 2022, 09:51 pm »
If it were me, I’d want better parts quality.  The ones in the pic are decent but can be better and for not a whole lot more $$.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #374 on: 27 Sep 2022, 02:21 pm »
What more do you want?

I want to see point to point wired parts directly connected to their respective drivers with as little extraneous stuff as possible for the most direct signal transfer. 

But if that crossover impresses you then by all means go for it.  It’s your money.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #375 on: 28 Sep 2022, 11:15 pm »
I want to see point to point wired parts directly connected to their respective drivers with as little extraneous stuff as possible for the most direct signal transfer. 

But if that crossover impresses you then by all means go for it.  It’s your money.
If it were me, I’d want better parts quality.  The ones in the pic are decent but can be better and for not a whole lot more $$.

Great, you've convinced me to go fully active.
Direct connections with zero extraneous stuff is better than a little bit of extraneous stuff.
Not having to be concerned with parts quality by eliminating the parts altogether and devoting my money to an efficient method of filtering also makes things simpler.
The beauty of this approach is no more guessing about what assembly methods or component brand is optimal because those questions are now superfluous.

Thanks guys, you did me a solid. Even if it wasn't intended.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #376 on: 28 Sep 2022, 11:29 pm »
Great, you've convinced me to go fully active.
Direct connections with zero extraneous stuff is better than a little bit of extraneous stuff.
Not having to be concerned with parts quality by eliminating the parts altogether and devoting my money to an efficient method of filtering also makes things simpler.
The beauty of this approach is no more guessing about what assembly methods or component brand is optimal because those questions are now superfluous.

Thanks guys, you did me a solid. Even if it wasn't intended.

Cool.  I ran an active setup for several years, it's a good solution.  If you want a good quality solution by a quality vendor here on AC, check out the HAL forum.  He's got a great sounding active control system for a speaker. 

whydontumarryit

• Restricted

GreenBlood

« Reply #378 on: 2 Oct 2022, 07:20 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on Danny’s RF7 ii upgrade. Hopefully it will tame the harshness but I do admit I am worried that I will lose some of the clarity I love so much. But that are fatiguing when listening to music, but oh so detailed ! I also use them for movies, if they were just for movies I’d leave them as they are.
Do such extensive crossovers like Danny shows on his video have any negative effects on the forensic detail?
Cheers
Steve

morganc

« Reply #379 on: 3 Oct 2022, 03:15 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on Danny’s RF7 ii upgrade. Hopefully it will tame the harshness but I do admit I am worried that I will lose some of the clarity I love so much. But that are fatiguing when listening to music, but oh so detailed ! I also use them for movies, if they were just for movies I’d leave them as they are.
Do such extensive crossovers like Danny shows on his video have any negative effects on the forensic detail?
Cheers
Steve

Not in my experience.  I just upgraded crossovers on a center channel X Voce and clarity, detail, tone and harmonics all improved dramatically.