Corona Virus update (See latest update).

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Corona Virus update (See latest update).
« Reply #40 on: 16 Sep 2020, 10:41 pm »
Looks like Parts Express is selling their own branded version of the Neo 3 tweeters, versions of the Neo 8 and Neo 10 will be available. Pricing looks really good, not sure where they are sourcing them or how they will measure.

Oh! Thats pretty interesting..
Here's a link for those interested: https://www.parts-express.com/grs-pt2522-4-3-1-2-planar-tweeter-4-ohm--272-122

That's actually pretty cheap, and about $80 cheaper than the official BG neo 3 tweeter.
I suspect that they're the same as the Chinese clones that have been popping up lately.

But for the price, I might pick one up just to do some testing on my own for comparing it against my own BG Neo3..

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 17 Sep 2020, 02:08 am »
Update: I ordered one along with some accessories to make testing a little easier for myself. Not expecting much, but for ~$35 is worth a shot.

Looking at the pictures, it also seems to use bolts and nuts instead of rivets. Ill post further updates on it in my Neo3 back cup thread sometime next week: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171314.0

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2020, 04:10 pm »
It also appears to have a dampening material in the outer slots, which is something that Danny Richie recommends, to get the highs to have wider dispersion.

I am tempted!

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 17 Sep 2020, 04:24 pm »
Looks like Parts Express is selling their own branded version of the Neo 3 tweeters, versions of the Neo 8 and Neo 10 will be available. Pricing looks really good, not sure where they are sourcing them or how they will measure.

Where do you see that information?

ccomplete

« Reply #44 on: 17 Sep 2020, 04:40 pm »
Pretty coincidental timing... Danny passes on a sub-par driver and then they pop up on PE with his own recommended tweaks... let’s maybe not jump on these and wait for the legit ones Danny has been throwing his time and effort into?  :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: 17 Sep 2020, 04:43 pm »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 17 Sep 2020, 05:43 pm »
Pretty coincidental timing... Danny passes on a sub-par driver and then they pop up on PE with his own recommended tweaks... let’s maybe not jump on these and wait for the legit ones Danny has been throwing his time and effort into?  :scratch:

Im only buying one cuz its introduction price is like 60% off and i have a BG Neo3 (non PDR) I can directly compare it to, which ill be installing some yarn into for a direct comparison.

But expect plenty of pictures, & hopefully some graphs once I have them on hand.

EDIT:
Reading the full description, it is a full Neo 3 PDR replacement driver, it only has 6 magnets instead of the original 10 magnet models)
Even so i can still use it for back-cup/waveguide testing.
Looking at the Neo8 replacement, it is also a PDR model with 18 magnets instead of 30.

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 17 Sep 2020, 07:12 pm »
The mechanical drawings look exactly the same as the ones I got from the company in China that made me samples.

The problem that I had with the Neo 10 samples was that they used no damper on the diaphragm. So there were little resonance traces all over the place. And getting them to understand how to fix it was almost impossible. So there is some ringing in them all over the place.

Also, all of the pictures, measurements and graphs weren't of their own products. They were all pictures of BG products.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 17 Sep 2020, 07:22 pm »
The mechanical drawings look exactly the same as the ones I got from the company in China that made me samples.

The problem that I had with the Neo 10 samples was that they used no damper on the diaphragm. So there were little resonance traces all over the place. And getting them to understand how to fix it was almost impossible. So there is some ringing in them all over the place.

Also, all of the pictures, measurements and graphs weren't of their own products. They were all pictures of BG products.

No surprise there, i guess. lol

But you mentioned that they didn't add a damper to the Neo10 sample, that makes me think thats what they did here as well with the Neo8 replacement:

The pictures also show the felt being added to the outer back rows but not the front also?? :scratch:

So I'm guessing that the Neo10 replacement has the same issues that the above Neo8 PDR replacement does?

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 17 Sep 2020, 07:39 pm »
Yes, you can see the yellow film of the diaphragm with no damper. Those babies will ring.

The BG units used a thin black damper on the diaphragm. Mine uses a thin white damper.

studiotech

« Reply #50 on: 17 Sep 2020, 08:59 pm »

Danny, the Neo8 style copy is significantly narrower than real Neo8 drivers from BG which is odd.  And PE's listed freq. response is unusual to say the least.  The spec sheet makes no mention of the measurement conditions, but it's certainly NOT free air dipole given low end response.

studiotech

« Reply #51 on: 17 Sep 2020, 09:01 pm »

I see the Neo8 style, but can't find the Neo10 from GRS.  You got a link?

Thanks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 17 Sep 2020, 09:09 pm »
You're right, they're quite different.
NEO 8 VS GRS

It also classifies itself as a "slim" tweeter so im guessing that there will be a more "stanard" model in the future. But if its going to be a ringing mess, probably best to avoid them until a DIY solution is made.

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 17 Sep 2020, 10:38 pm »
Are you sure that thing isn't just turned at and angle or a skewed picture? 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 17 Sep 2020, 10:54 pm »
Are you sure that thing isn't just turned at and angle or a skewed picture? 
Nah, while it is slightly skewed, the main difference is in the width from the outer holes to the lip where it drops off to the area with the terminals/rivets, it looks as tho about its been made about an inch narrower than the one on the right.. (24mm according to the schematics below)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 17 Sep 2020, 10:55 pm »
(Lets just use this post instead of posting a 3rd in a row)

Looks like the page for the GRS Neo-8 replacement just dropped:
https://www.parts-express.com/grs-pt6825-8-8-planar-mid-tweeter-8-ohm--272-126

$50 introductory price, and seems to have the proper buffer layer that the "slim" model doesn't.
Tho I'm more curious about the upcoming "Neo10" model, & may pick up a pair if they aren't overly expensive. Just to do my own testing, so long as it has the proper damper layers
It also has the full 30 magnets, & does not use PDR layout.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2020, 12:15 am by Hobbsmeerkat »

lancruiser_

« Reply #56 on: 18 Sep 2020, 11:09 am »
Looks like the rest of the Neo series is available. Will be interesting to see how they measure compared to the original BG drivers. The page HTML code showed place holders for 5 models.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 18 Sep 2020, 01:09 pm »
Looks like the rest of the Neo series is available. Will be interesting to see how they measure compared to the original BG drivers. The page HTML code showed place holders for 5 models.

Youre right, it must have dropped someone last night.

Here's the GRS Neo 10 replacement:

My only confusion with this model is that it says it uses "42" magnets?? That's 21 per side... But looking at the info for fhe BG Neo10, it shows as tho it should have 72 magnets at 36 per side...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 18 Sep 2020, 02:53 pm »
Looking at the two response graphs, i believe the GRS 10 has been tested in a traditional cabinet. In the paperwork for the Neo10 it says the response is boosted in the 300-1K range when used in a box, which is what the GRS graph shows. The Neo10 has been likely been tested in a OB setup.

I was hoping they'd come in closer to the $100 range, but even at $130 they're still ~55% cheaper than the Neo10.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #59 on: 18 Sep 2020, 03:46 pm »
Another odd thing is that the GRS 10" planar shows an 8 ohm impedance in the PE add, but the datasheet shows 4 ohms.  The BG NEO10 is 8 ohms, so that would change the passive XO design, if the datasheet is correct.