Use Case question.

RoadTripper

Use Case question.
« on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:50 pm »
Not having any understanding of how power cables do their thing, I have a question. Since I have a shortage of open wall sockets in my listening room I use a "power strip". There are thus two ways to use this equipment: 1) Plug the Triode Wire Labs power cable into the wall and plug the power strip on its end. (This would seem to benefit all the appliances hooked to the power strip) 2) Plug the power strip in the wall and plug the Triode Wire Labs power cable into the power strip.

Or does having a power strip anywhere in the chain obliterate the benefits of using any Triode Wire Labs cable?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dpatters

Re: Use Case question.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2016, 07:10 pm »
Which Triode pc do you have? What type of power strip?  If the power strip is just a basic type then that needs to be replaced first.  If just more outlets are needed I would recommend taking a look at the PI Audio products. UberBuss, MiniBuss, and DigiBuss.

I use a Triode 7+ from outlet to an Uberbuss.  My analog front end and amps are plugged into the Uber.  DigiBuss plugged into Uber with digital front end plugged into DigiBuss.  All other pcs are appropriate TWL model for the component. HP Digital Americans for amps, standard Digital American for DAC and transport, 10+ for preamp.

Pete is one of the great guys in audio.  If you send him an email or PM I'm sure he would be able to answer any questions you may have.

Don P.

RoadTripper

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:36 pm »
Thanks for that answer. It appears the Uberbuss is not supplied with a power cable like any normal power strip. Am I right, or am I reading the PI Audio blurb on the product incorrectly? If I am right and PI audio doesn't see the need to supply the power connector (cable), why would you need to use a Triode Wire Labs cable for power conditioning if the Uberbuss is just waiting in line to clean the power for you? Isn't having both in the chain overkill?

Triode Pete

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2016, 02:18 pm »
Dave Elledge, owner of P.I. Audio, recommends Triode Wire Labs power cords for his BUSS line of products. Most BUSS owners utilize the "Seven Plus" or the High Power "Digital American" power cords; a few have the top of the line "Obsession" and "Silver Statement" power cords with superb results. The key here is synergy. The use of Triode Wire Labs power cords coupled to many power conditioners, such as the UberBUSS, provide a splendid integration of elements that when combined produce a total effect that is greater than the sum of the individual components. Simply put, they work very well together.

Many have found similar synergistic results with power regenerators (PS Audio, Isotek, APC, etc.)  and other types of power conditioners (Furman, BPT, Torus, Bybee, Shunyata, etc.)...

To answer you original question, if only using one TWL power cord, I would recommend your Option #1, to "Plug the Triode Wire Labs power cable into the wall and plug the power strip on its end" for the best results.

Your other question was "Or does having a power strip anywhere in the chain obliterate the benefits of using any Triode Wire Labs cable?" ... I have numerous customers, especially in Europe, that utilize "power bars / power strips" with magnificent (at least they tell me) results. In Europe, with Schuko-style mains connectors, they are usually limited in the amount of receptacles available. Also, the better designed & higher quality "power bars / power strips" will sound better...

My $0.02,
Pete