Poll

Should we list recommended dealers in the NC circle?

Yes!
2 (25%)
No!!!!
1 (12.5%)
Yes!!!  And also non-recommended dealers!
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: 25 Feb 2004, 02:40 am

Recommended Dealers. . . ????

Hantra

« on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:40 am »
C:

I think you should a sticky.  I think we should all post names and contact info of dealers that we all recommend in our area.  That will help the group.  Don't you think?

Good idea, or bad idea?

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2004, 01:59 pm »
Would this just be a list of dealers?  Or is it a discussion area?  I don't want it to get personal.... just a list is fine with me.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2004, 04:42 pm »
Hmm. . .

Well. . .  I was thinking maybe if everyone posted dealers they like, and what they carry, that'd be enough.  It would be nice if we could post bad experiences with dealers too so we know who to avoid in NC.  I understand your concern.  It's just hard to find dealers around here unless you know about them from somewhere. . .

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2004, 05:09 pm »
I think this should just be a 'recommended' list.

Anything can change with a dealer; one day they're great, then they have a bad day... And then some people like to make a big deal out of one bad experience and be really vocal about it.  Whereas not many people like to go on and on about how great they were treated.  So, it never balances out.  That's why I don't mind strictly a list, not a lot of comments, etc.  

Also, this is an internationally public place.  It's my main consideration to not underestimate the weight of negative comments posted here.  I don't want it to get heated... AT ALL... Just a list is fine.  If someone wrongs you, PM me and vent.  You can even call me.  

If there is someone to avoid and someone has a real problem with a dealer on our list, PM me and we can decide if they should be taken off the list.  We still have to abide by AC's laws here which is not air dirty laundry.

So, that's my stance.  I voted on the recommended and not recommended only because I think ALL should be included intially.  Not because I want to see negative comments about a dealer.

-C

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2004, 05:14 pm »
Let's see, for my area audio group we (me, myself and I) have
best buy
Sears
Wallmart
 :lol:

We have to drive 45 min. for a Classic Stereo type of shop then to Chicago or Grand Rapids to better than that.  Plus we start arguing on the way back as to which cable sounded better. :roll: ...I'm thinking about quiting this group!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2004, 05:53 pm »
Is Robert Taylor (Taylor House) still operating near Lake Norman? When I lived in Charlotte I bought some equipment from him.

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2004, 05:54 pm »
We too, have BB, Sears, and Walmart!  Other than 1 'classic' hifi shop, chances are you'll be going to someone's house.  That seems to be the way of the market these days... here, anyway... most dealers here are working out of their basements.... I'd never heard of it until I moved here.  I kept seeing 'by appointment only' in their Yellow Pages listings thinking it was super snobby.  But, they're not... they just want to be home when you show up!

Look in your phone book for Stereo's... I'll bet there's a few you didn't even know existed!  Or maybe not. ;)

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2004, 06:07 pm »
C:

Sounds good to me.  Are you going to make a sticky?   :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2004, 06:30 pm »
Carl, that is what I assumed when I see "buy appointment only" too.  Thanks for the tip.  I envey the fact that you guys are "close" enough to have gatherings and agree that more is usually learned from hearing others sysytems in different rooms.  Sorry to intrude on your guys' circle :wink:

Have fun !!!

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2004, 06:31 pm »
What about direct-sales (NOT direct-marketing), manufacturers :?:

Carlman

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2004, 06:41 pm »
Quote from: Shamrock Audio
What about direct-sales (NOT direct-marketing), manufacturers :?:

If I understand the difference, you're separating manufacturers from dealers... In that case, I think both would be preferable because some gear you can only buy from a local dealer... if one exists.  

I'll start a new thread and make it a sticky after we get a list of names to start... I'll consolodate it into 1 post.

So, list away.

-Carl

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2004, 07:44 pm »
Quote from: Carlman

If I understand the difference, you're separating manufacturers from dealers... In that case, I think both would be preferable because some gear you can only buy from a local dealer... if one exists.  

I'll start a new thread and make it a sticky after we get a list of names to start... I'll consolodate it into 1 post.

So, list away.

-Carl

No, my reference was made to emphasize the difference between a company that you make purchases directly from (as opposed to buying those products through a local dealer), and companies that market/advertise their products directly to the consumer. Not a huge issue in this case I admit. I don't get many cold-calls from someone asking me if I want to buy some speakers :)

Nevertheless, it may be of value to folks to include companies whos products are not represented by a dealer network.

Carlman

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2004, 08:09 pm »
I guess I sort of understand what you're trying to differentiate so, when you put together your list, be sure to indicate the direct marketers.

So, where's the dealers?

Please provide:
name, city, website, and specialty.
If they don't have a website, maybe an email address or at least a phone number.

For example:
HomeTheaterDocShane Sangster
Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919-632-2569
Email: sales@hometheaterdoc.com
Hi end dealer, does demos at his house

Audio Broker
John Ciccarelli
Apex, NC  27523
Phone: 919-363-0913
Email: sales@audiobroker.net
Hi end dealer, does demos at his house

sheadlee

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2004, 07:12 pm »
My personal favorite (have been buying stuff there for 20+ yr), is:

Audio Advice
    8621-117 Glenwood Ave.
    Raleigh, NC 27617
    (919)881-2005
    http://www.audioadvice.com
    High end audio, video, home-theatre, etc.