Vitamin Q's for Piccolo

JayB

Vitamin Q's for Piccolo
« on: 7 Dec 2009, 07:16 pm »
I just ordered a Piccolo board and have some Vitamin Q caps (NOS I think) that I would like to try on it. They are marked .1 - 100 DC. I assume this means .1uf - 100VDC. If so they should work. Can anyone tell me if I am right in my assumption?

amandarae

Re: Vitamin Q's for Piccolo
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2009, 12:56 am »
Specs wise, it should be fine.  Looking at the schematic, the highest voltage rating listed is 25Vdc.  So, 100 is like tickling the caps! :D

I tried VQ's also, so are Gudemanns, Russian PIO's, Auricap, Orange Drop 75X series, Russian Teflons, John E. Fast, Aerovox, Angela Instruments PIO's, Jensen, Hovland, and Illinois film caps to name a few.

For the life of me, I cannot hear any "distinct change" of the sound from say, Auricaps.  Maybe in your system you will get different results.  But I think, the phono preamp output coupling caps are the ones that will give you most bang for the buck in selecting the type of capacitors to your liking.

YMMV.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:37 am »
I have 2 lefover Russian Teflon .1uF's that I'm going to use in my upcoming Piccolo project. They're burning in now so I know they'l be opened up and ready when I begin my build. They just fit into the box under the board. These are some of the open caps I've ever heard. I've used them successfully as coupling cap bypasses in lots of other equipment and never been happier.

good luck,
Bob

JayB

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2009, 02:09 am »
Thanks for your responses. I've got some teflons that I will be trying as well.

By the way amandarae, on a side note, I was viewing your Garrard 301 youtube video and was wondering if I could get a diagram of Ding's crossover. I have a 604 that I am getting ready to use and want to try something simpler than the Markwart. It would be greatly appreciated.   

amandarae

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2009, 06:47 am »

By the way amandarae, on a side note, I was viewing your Garrard 301 youtube video and was wondering if I could get a diagram of Ding's crossover. I have a 604 that I am getting ready to use and want to try something simpler than the Markwart. It would be greatly appreciated.

Sure!  PM me at arevz@msn.com   when you are ready? 

Abe

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:31 pm »
Well the Russian Teflons had a clear and open top end with great soundstaging. They also had deep bass, but there was a hole in the mid bass region. So I threw in some Relcap RT's and that midbass ghole was filled in nicely. Good balls and transient response, but now the top end was way forward and a bit harsh.

So back to my trusty Sonicap II's - these things just seem to work so right everywhere I've tried them. Yup, now the image is farther back and not in my face. The top is extended and smooth. The bottom has balls and dynamic response. All in all, this cap is the one I'm keeping in there.

Enjoy,
Bob