I did the unthinkable, Chinese MBL preamp 'clone'

simoon

I did the unthinkable, Chinese MBL preamp 'clone'
« on: 8 Jun 2020, 10:48 pm »
My old Counterpoint preamp finally failed. And when I say it failed, I mean catastrophically. It is almost unrecognizable as electronics any longer. Way too expensive to repair.

So, while I am waiting to figure out what I want to replace it with, I needed to get something.

As a temporary stopgap solution, I purchased one of the various Chinese MBL 6010 'clone' preamps available all over the internet. I got one of the least expensive, in that it only has one set of inputs, one set of outputs, and a volume control. But it does have excellent OP amps, and other components. Cost about $250 shipped. Took about 3 weeks to arrive.

And no, I don't believe for a second , that other than the basic preamp circuit, it is a clone.

While I was waiting for it to arrive, I had my DAC directly feeding my amps. I could not listen to vinyl, obviously.

It's now in my system. And I have to say, this thing sounds fantastic. Immediately I noticed that the soundstage is huge, bigger than my Counterpoint. And it is dead quiet, which I worried would be the most likely aspect that would be a problem. I haven't noticed any problems with dynamics, distortion, etc. The only problem I found, is a slight turn on thump, but I just leave it on all the time, problem gone.

Do I feel guilty? Not really. There is no intellectual theft going on, since this is an old design and the schematic has been available online for years. I am not taking any money our of MBL's or any MBL dealer's pocket, since ther is no way, even used, I could afford an MBL preamp. But since this thing sounds so good, it allows me to take more time, and save more money to get a better preamp when I finally do decide.

So, go ahead, flame me, deride me, take away my 'audiophile card', All I know, is I am good for a few or more months until I get a replacement.

ric

Re: I did the unthinkable, Chinese MBL preamp 'clone'
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2020, 01:16 pm »
Hey, if it sounds good it IS good. Should I feel guilty if I copy a library cd, buy a used piece of equipment? None of that money goes to it's creator and I will burn in hell. We can both burn in hell, let's just hope they have a killer sound system when we get there!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2020, 03:35 pm »
I’m sure not going to give you a hard time for what appears to be a great little ‘cheap and cheerful’ buy. I know plenty of audiophiles in Taiwan who buy gear like this because they cannot possibly afford more expensive gear. 

I wish you would provide a link!  :thumb: It may not be appropriate for what I have in mind, but I’ll wager the manufacturer or eBay/AlliExpress, etc. will provide more models at the bottom of the page.

Good find!

Michael

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2020, 06:50 pm »
I’ll go the other way , if it sounds great ?,   Why not keep it as your end game preamplifier?
I’m over the moon with my $60 (paid $39 on sale) Phillips 9500 open back headphones, and I am super content with the sound they deliver to me !!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2020, 07:50 pm »
  Your money your choice. Go for it. I guess point of origin is as well subjective.

charles

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2020, 07:51 pm »
Congrats on the preamp.  I may buy one myself for a bedroom system.  I don't believe for a second that it is a clone.  The original MBL6010D was about 5 times the size of yours and weighed 77 pounds and cost over $20K.  I would love a shot at modifying it with better caps and resistors.

simoon

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2020, 08:26 pm »
I’m sure not going to give you a hard time for what appears to be a great little ‘cheap and cheerful’ buy. I know plenty of audiophiles in Taiwan who buy gear like this because they cannot possibly afford more expensive gear. 

I wish you would provide a link!  :thumb: It may not be appropriate for what I have in mind, but I’ll wager the manufacturer or eBay/AlliExpress, etc. will provide more models at the bottom of the page.

Good find!

Michael

This is the one I purchased:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32454538674.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.61224c4dvaDpAq

And yes, there are other models with more inputs, remote control, different OP amps, etc.

They also have: Mark Levinson, Jadis, FM Acousics and other clones.

simoon

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2020, 08:31 pm »
Congrats on the preamp.  I may buy one myself for a bedroom system.  I don't believe for a second that it is a clone.  The original MBL6010D was about 5 times the size of yours and weighed 77 pounds and cost over $20K.  I would love a shot at modifying it with better caps and resistors.

True.

But for sure, on original has a much different power supply, more features, etc.

SV1KN

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2022, 02:40 am »

This is the one I purchased:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32454538674.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.61224c4dvaDpAq

And yes, there are other models with more inputs, remote control, different OP amps, etc.

They also have: Mark Levinson, Jadis, FM Acousics and other clones.

I know this is an old post, but was just looking st this preamp and Googled reviews on it, which lead me here.

Curious as to what your long term thoughts were about it.

Thanks.

unfairlane

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2023, 01:58 pm »

Have this in my system now and it is a giant killer. 4 inputs + xlr, mute function via remote and that`s it. High-end performance, nothing less but simple.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170698.0

munosmario

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2023, 08:12 pm »

Have this in my system now and it is a giant killer. 4 inputs + xlr, mute function via remote and that`s it. High-end performance, nothing less but simple.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170698.0

Sorry, valid link?

MttBsh

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2023, 08:17 pm »
Link from Simoon shows the unit is no longer available.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32454538674.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.61224c4dvaDpAq
WEILIANG AUDIO refer to MBL6010D fully balanced preamplifier deluxe version
Sorry, this item is no longer available!

I am intrigued how some of these Chinese knockoff preamps can compete with far more expensive, well known models.

munosmario

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2023, 05:04 pm »

Oops, sorry, here`s one to ebay:    https://www.ebay.com/itm/255122499405

Alixpress:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004874382879.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.315738daQqyTVD&mp=1

Thank you very much...which one did you get? The aliexpress is a branded product, the ebay is not; circuit layout appears to be the same but the color and shape in most parts are different.

Mario

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2023, 08:47 pm »
I won't flame you but be sure to unplug the darn thing when you're not around so your house doesn't burn down !   :nono:

unfairlane

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2023, 11:40 pm »
I won't flame you but be sure to unplug the darn thing when you're not around so your house doesn't burn down !   :nono:

Tryin to be funny? This thing is among the safest units you can put in a system unlike many US-made components, and on top of that it sounds better and costs less.

Had a hifi-friend stopping by today and he was off course curious about this Chinese clone. Didn`t need to ask, his face was a big WOW as he sat listening to some Pink Floyd I had on my turntable. He told me that he in all his years had never heard this record play anything like this. (The Wall, Harvest)

This simple pre is a true giant-killer. Absolutely open and killer dynamics.

unfairlane

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2023, 11:44 pm »
Thank you very much...which one did you get? The aliexpress is a branded product, the ebay is not; circuit layout appears to be the same but the color and shape in most parts are different.

Mario

Mine is branded but as you say I think they`re all from the same factory, the Aliexpress-site gives us a hint

viggen

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2023, 04:11 pm »
wonder whether the upgraded op amps version is worth it.  or, hunting down your own opamps like bursons.

Jon L

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2023, 08:18 pm »
wonder whether the upgraded op amps version is worth it.  or, hunting down your own opamps like bursons.

For $55 upcharge, 10pcs opa627+4pcs muse8820 is a real bargain, provided that they aren't fake op-amps.