Possible comparisons to come

Carlman

« on: 22 Feb 2005, 05:59 pm »
I have recently completely revamped my entire audio system.  I experimented with room placement and configurations for the past few months and settled on something I like for the dedicated 2-channel room I have.

So now what?  I've got some Usher X-718's that I think are the cat's pajamas.  However, they were merely the cat's nightcap until I got new crossovers for them from Usher.  What's more, I'm getting the 'Ultimate' upgrade to them from Bill at Response Audio.

When they get back, I'd like to compare them to a stock set of Usher x-718's that have the newer crossover.  The only person I know with a pair is Shane/HTDoc.  It will depend on his stock when I get the speakers back as to whether/when we can do this.  I'm not sure if I'd rather do it at his place or mine... or somewhere else.

I also have the DK integrated up and running.  Anyone who hasn't heard this amp owes it to themself to hear it.  I'd compare it to any 7,k amp you've ever heard.

Also, I have a cheap audio PC that I think sounds very good.  Not as good as Hantra's.. but in the ballpark.  I'd really be interested to hear how it sounds compared to something big... like Shane's new Bel Canto multi-thousand dollar player.  

So, if anyone's interested in hearing any of this, let me know and we can put something together.  I know Rick's putting together something and I am in no big hurry to do this comparison... could be April as far as I'm concerned.... but just thought I'd throw these ideas out there.

I've been under-the-weather for about a week and am getting all sorts of crazy ideas now that I'm getting better. ;)

-C

BrunoB

Re: Possible comparisons to come
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2005, 01:57 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I have recently completely revamped my entire audio system.  I experimented with room placement and configurations for the past few months and settled on something I like for the dedicated 2-channel room I have.

So now what?  I've got some Usher X-718's that I think are the cat's pajamas.  However, they were merely the cat's nightcap until I got new crossovers for them from Usher.  What's more, I'm getting the 'Ultimate' upgrade to them from Bill at  ...

Interesting upgrade.

Quote from: response audio

Custom tailoring of the crossover. Basically, this is a custom arrangement for the attenuation of the tweeter to meet the desired personal listening habits of the end user

Carl, did you ask for a special tweeter attenuation? I wonder how this is done and how it could be done by the end user?

Has anyone experience with the V-Cap OIMP capacitors?

Glad to hear that you like your new system,

Bruno

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2005, 06:06 am »
Carl,
    Have you done any tube rolling in the DK Audio Intergrated ? I know that Hantra (B) is trying different tubes in his . :) [/list:u]

claud

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2005, 07:03 pm »
I have several 6922/6DJ8/7308 pairs you could try including the Siemens CCa s that the manufacturer likes. If you want to borrow some, PM or call me. I'm in the phone book. I'm not trying or even willing to sell these tubes. Just trying to help you find that special tube that works with your system.

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2005, 01:24 am »
I've rolled some tubes and so far here's my results:

Russian 6DJ8 w/ Rocket Logos
Lively, detailed, touch of warmth, slightly forward, slightly etched highs

Philips Gold Pin SQ
Warm but not rolled off, bordering on lush sounding.  A ‘round’ sound and buttery smooth

Siemens 7308? (orange and blue box with “Röhre” on side)
Very detailed, forward to the point that I felt inside the singer’s mouth

Stock Chinese Star
Neutral and clean but not clinical… rolled off highs and lows gracefully but the extension just wasn’t there

Matsushita 7DJ8
Neutral, clean and a bit rolled off in the highs, similar to Chinese Star's but a little better extension

So far, that's what I've rolled.  Hantra has some Mullards I'd like to hear.

Claud, you have PM.

Thanks,
Carl