Magnepan easy to drive??

Pretender

Magnepan easy to drive??
« on: 9 Oct 2009, 02:57 pm »
<<A mostly resistive speaker like a Magnepan looks like a resistor (long piece of aluminum wire) with no significant inductance, capacitance or back EMF.  It's about the easiest thing to drive and closest to the load resistors we use to specify and measure amplifier power.>>

I was browsing through the older postings, and came across this quote from Roger. I am currently trying to decide whether to sell my tube amp (PrimaLuna Dialogue 2), and get a high powered solid state amp to drive my Magnepan MMGs...

I have often wondered about Magnepans and amplification--It does seem as though they were made for tube amps because of their steady 4 ohm impedance. However, it also seems to be generally agreed upon that they need a lot of current--This makes it hard to decide which way to go.

I would love to take advantage of the RM-10 special offer, with the goal of eventually getting another one to use as monos--but I don't know if I would gain that much from what I already have...

Thanks for any and all input!

ken

Re: Magnepan easy to drive??
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2009, 04:11 pm »
Although Maggies will sound good with lower powered amps / receivers they sound their best with "mo better power"  - as much as your budget allows.  I would recommend at least 100 wpc with tubes and even higher with SS  It's not so much for SPL as it is for the added refinement and resolution you'll be rewarded with.  Just my 2 cents

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2009, 04:39 pm »
I agree with Ken.  Several of my audio buddies own Maggies and they all eventually went with higher powered amps, after hearing squash dynamics with the lower powered ones.  The higher powered amps allow the Maggies to breathe and reduce strain. 

Brown

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2009, 05:06 pm »
Maggies perfprm best with lots of power. Wether tubed or SS components. Having owned Maggies for over 20 years the combo that worked wonders for me is the use of a tubed Preamp and a SS amp. Slam and air we like to call it.
   A used CJ Pre and a Bryston [ or whatever] amp and your done for a while. The sad part using a tubed amp is the cost of enrty. Big power equals big money. Not only the initial cost of the amp but the tubes will get ya every 3 to 5 years. If you use NOS the cost can be insane.
   My advice get a powerfull SS amp say 250W or more / channel and a good tubed Preamp.   

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:34 am »
The RM-200 will drive maggies to very high levels. We have lots of happy maggie owners.

In my amplifiers the tubes last 5-10 years and a complete set of outputs can be had for $160. That's far less than the cost of replacing one transistor in a SS amp. AND you can do it yourself.

boycephoto

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2009, 01:49 am »
I have Maggie 3.6's. I have 4 different amps that I have used with them.  An Audio by Van Alstine 220 w/ch ss amp and the small AVA Utimate 70 (33 w/ch)tube amp.  I also have two large Audio Research amps one tube and the other ss both 200 w/ch.  The large ARC tube amp definately sounds the best but, it by far cost the most, generates a lot of heat, cost $300 just for shipping alone one way to ARC for repairs, cost almost $1900 to retube and takes two people to move.  The small AVA tube amp sounds really good but not quite enough power for the Maggies, the two ss amps are pretty even with a few trade offs either way.  If I did it all over again I would buy one amp and get the Van Alstine Utra 550 (250 w/ch) hybrid valve/ss amp to drive my Maggies.   
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 08:02 pm by boycephoto »

DustyC

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2009, 08:30 pm »
Yep, maggies are an easy 4 ohm (more like 3.5) load. It boils down to how loud you listen. I powered my 3.6's with a single 75 watt tube amp for awhile.  aa
The lower bass range was a little "tubby" at higher volume but at reasonable range (80-85db) it was fine.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:55 pm »
I recently heard  RM200 on my plunger speakers, mostly 4 ohm, it sounded much like a 500W SS (Mac, McCormack, Spectron) in authority and slam. Current delivery is very good, and Roger's transformers are a big part of that. Very different than other tube amps of similar power rating I have used. 

flintstone

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:19 pm »
I think a lot of people that buy dipoles are box speaker lovers by ear, and only dipole lovers by heart. Dipoles don't thump ...they want bass thump....and how do you make a dipole thump? (or at least try to, and you can replace the word thump with slam if you like).....you simply over drive them with massive amounts of power.

Note: I don't own Maggies

Good luck,

Dave

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2009, 03:49 am »
Dipoles don't thump ...they want bass thump....and how do you make a dipole thump? (or at least try to, and you can replace the word thump with slam if you like).....you simply over drive them with massive amounts of power.

Or you pair them with a subwoofer. :wink:

Note: I own Maggies.

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:10 am »
I started out with a pair of MG-2 way back in the day and had SMG, 1.5, 1.6, 2.6 and 3.6. I've always got the best results with at least 300wpc. The best sound I got out of them were with a pair of Classe' 400 watt monos.

Regards,

flintstone

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:39 pm »
Dipoles don't thump ...they want bass thump....and how do you make a dipole thump? (or at least try to, and you can replace the word thump with slam if you like).....you simply over drive them with massive amounts of power.

Or you pair them with a subwoofer. :wink:

Note: I own Maggies.

Yes, thats what I would do...and that is what I do with my Apogees. The Apogee Duetta Signature is very much like many of the Maggies.... 4ohm load with no large swings, above or below 4ohms (not a problem for my tube amps).

Still, I think the dipole bass sound is more pleasing to my ear....and 90% of my music has no output below 25hz (so in my case the subs rarely come into use)

Dave

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:16 pm »
I have a 7-speaker Magnepan set-up for a 5.1 (actually 5.2 - 2 Velodyne DD subs) system.  I have 1.6's, 3.6's and a combo of 10's & CC3 for a center channel.  I agree with all the posters here that Maggies love a lot of power and current.  Add a fast and accurate sub, and you have it all covered.  Remember that Maggies are quite inefficient, so this contributes to the need for higher powered amps (SS or tubes).  When mated with a tubed preamp and source, the combination is magical.  I have also loved all tubed systems with combos consisting of equipment from VAC, VTL and ARC.

Happy listening!   :)

Pretender

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:24 am »
Thanks to all for your input...The general consensus seems to be that the more power the better--and the price for tube power is going to be much more than SS. It does seem as though the RM-200 would be the most ecomomical  to use, after the initial investment. There is one on Audiogon right now however, it is wired in triode...