Auditioning DVA M225s

eduke55

Auditioning DVA M225s
« on: 5 Feb 2023, 08:25 pm »
My pair arrived yesterday, and they are sounding pretty good to my ears so far. My speakers are Joseph Audio Perspectives 2 graphene. Great depth and very good detail. I particularly like the sound of strings with this pair. I have been using Class D amplification; Rogue Pharaoh, Bel Canto e1X, JR 125's(currently), and GaN; mini GaN and AGD Tempo de gan. These DVA 225s might be keepers! Only gripe, the XLR connector is non locking type, but appears to hold cable tight enough. Also, a 12v trigger option, if possible, would be nice.  But focusing just on the sound, this pair has to be the deal of the century! I'll update later this week.

AllanS

Re: Auditioning DVA M225s
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2023, 03:31 am »
You’ll definitely find a lot of love around here for them and AVA in general.

mav52

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2023, 01:50 pm »
My pair arrived yesterday, and they are sounding pretty good to my ears so far. My speakers are Joseph Audio Perspectives 2 graphene. Great depth and very good detail. I particularly like the sound of strings with this pair. I have been using Class D amplification; Rogue Pharaoh, Bel Canto e1X, JR 125's(currently), and GaN; mini GaN and AGD Tempo de gan. These DVA 225s might be keepers! Only gripe, the XLR connector is non locking type, but appears to hold cable tight enough. Also, a 12v trigger option, if possible, would be nice.  But focusing just on the sound, this pair has to be the deal of the century! I'll update later this week.

'"  the XLR connector is non locking type",   I wonder if AVA for a slight fee might install a locking type during a customers build ? humm

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2023, 02:21 pm »

Found this jig in my workshop.  It contains the top 5 XLR connectors considered for the M225 project.  There's a Switchcraft, three Neutrik's, and a no name generic.  The Neutrik chosen, the bottom right - NC3FPP, not only had the best feel to it, but its price to performance ratio was WAY better than the others.  And that's what the M225 is all about - the best performance for the lowest cost.  If I remember correctly, the three locking types all felt a little loose and the generic one was so tight that you couldn't unplug once you got it plugged in.

Dan

Phil_S

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2023, 11:59 pm »
Dan, that is seriously cool!  Outstanding attention to detail.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2023, 02:35 am »
Dan, super cool. Thanks for that. It's crazy to me but different parts do seem to sometimes have different sound though they shouldn't. I got some rhodium speaker terminals once that made my ears perk up. What?  I have the DV225s and  Audience XLR interconnects and all great. These amps are really dynamic and dimensional.

eduke55

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2023, 03:20 am »
*Update*
After about 70 hrs these M225's are just sounding wonderful! Depth, detail, sound stage width and bass impact, all excellent. Obviously impressed. The pro reviewers were spot on.

jlucas

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2023, 03:04 am »
I too wish for a trigger option.  Any work arounds?

danielgk

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2023, 05:10 pm »
Both of these work fine (search Amazon for "remote control outlet" for more):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09369YQN3/ref=pe_32293190_567121270_fxm_3_0_n_id
https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Wireless-Weatherproof-Electrical-Grounded/dp/B077Q78LSJ/ref=sr_1_54?crid=2BOGYQA4M8SRE&keywords=remote+control+outlet&qid=1676739730&sprefix=remote+control+outlet%2Caps%2C370&sr=8-54

I'd get the 3 outlet one, plug both M225's and the preamp in (leaving M225's and preamp on/off switch on) and use the remote to turn on/off.
For $12 - $15 you can hardly go wrong.  That's what Frank is doing.

Dan

eduke55

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2023, 08:11 pm »
Hey Dan,
Appreciate your recommendations for lack of trigger workaround. Honestly though, the thought of plugging my amps into anything other than my wall outlets(they are very good ones and circuit is dedicated), does not appeal to me. But thanks again, anyway.

Eduke

munosmario

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2023, 09:45 pm »
Both of these work fine (search Amazon for "remote control outlet" for more):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09369YQN3/ref=pe_32293190_567121270_fxm_3_0_n_id
https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Wireless-Weatherproof-Electrical-Grounded/dp/B077Q78LSJ/ref=sr_1_54?crid=2BOGYQA4M8SRE&keywords=remote+control+outlet&qid=1676739730&sprefix=remote+control+outlet%2Caps%2C370&sr=8-54

I'd get the 3 outlet one, plug both M225's and the preamp in (leaving M225's and preamp on/off switch on) and use the remote to turn on/off.
For $12 - $15 you can hardly go wrong.  That's what Frank is doing.

Dan

Dan, gathering none of these multiple outlet units allows for turning on/off pre and amp(s) in a desirable sequence, right? More than one unit would then be needed.
Mario

danielgk

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2023, 10:34 pm »
Turning power amps and preamps on/off at the same time is generally a bad idea.  However the M225 is just about as good as any amp I've ever seen at tolerating this.  The differential design yields no output when something spikes the same on each side.  And our digital preamp, the one Frank is using, doesn't generate any turn on or off noise pop/glitch at all.

Can't help you with the designer wall outlets though.

Dan

jlucas

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2023, 11:55 am »
While outlets switched by a remote are an option/alternate solution, that is not a trigger option.  To help with the WAF, i'm looking for trigger solutions.

I did find things like this https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-SCG-3M-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000P1QJXQ/ but have yet to test something like this, but there are also higher end options like https://www.panamax.com/product/max-8-av-pro-8-ac-coax-and-tel-avm-line-filtration/#tab_features

Searching for "power sequencer" is also yielding some options.

eduke55

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2023, 03:03 am »

Auditioning Done!
Really put this pair of AVA  DVA M225's through their paces, and they are keepers! I have been through quite a few amplifiers these past three years, many of the Class D variety. Bel Canto, Rogue, AGD and Jeff Rowland, are no slouches but this pair of M225's best them all to my ears. The AGD(Tempo Di Gan) with the GaN power came the closest with it's clarity, relaxed presentation, great depth and sound stage. Nonetheless, the M225's had more punch and tighter bass. I noticed too, that the M225's sounded great with very modest speaker wire and even more so with my Fidelium Speaker wire. My speakers are Joseph Audio Perspective 2 graphene, and though not a very efficient speaker the M225's had no trouble powering them. This pairing is the best I have heard from these speakers. The amps never got more than slightly warm even when playing at rather loud levels(80-90db) for extended periods. I do not think these amps have a definite sound character, because I do not hear them favoring any frequency or band. Mind you, if a recording is not good they will let you know, but I at no time thought they made things worse! In my opinion these amps are a fantastic bargain and even a revelation. I listen nearly every day. Streaming services, streaming hq radio,
analog, both records and tuner, all sound great. Life is good!