An introduction - Jeromie Stephens - Fredericksburg, VA

jbrianfoto

Hello all,

For many years I've been a DIY enthusiast, enjoying SET and P/P triode amplifiers. Pretty much all of my system was built by the late, great Don Allen.  MY speakers are faithful reproductions of the Altec 612 cabinet running PAS 15" coaxials with the 2" throat. I run the Don Allen Tribute Facebook page. My name is Jeromie Stephens.

My system is up and running in our basement after several years of being stored away. We moved to Northern Virginia from Tucson about 12 years ago.

Don Allen tube preamp - his test-bed that used to belong to Peter Clark (the man behind Redpoint-Audio-Design). It has both line and phono sections and a remotely connected power supply chassis. Alps stereo pot. 14N7 is the line stage tube.

Don Allen SET 2A3 / 300B stereo amp. This one was my first purchase from Don. It is a modified and tweaked version of the famous Angela Instruments Model 91 (remember those?). It has Audio Note output transformers that are just magical.  CAn use 6C6 or type 77 tubes - though I prefer to use the WECO 328A.

Don Allen P/P 807 amps on mono chassis. Accrosound output transformer (I believe they are the TO300 or maybe the TO290).  14N7 driver, solid state rectifiers. Switchable between triode and pentode operation.

Don Allen P/P 2A3 monster amps. Hammond output transformer, all the other trans are vintage Kenyon from the 1940's.  Also uses the 6C6 / 77 / 328a driver and a 6J5 phase splitter. These are huge heavy amps (about 80lbs each).

I have several of his Philips CDC9xx series tube CD players plus more that I've built my self.

Speakers are reproductions of the Altec 612 cabinets with PAS 15" coaxial drivers. The crossovers were built by Don and mat4ched specifically to these two speakers - the toroidal chokes were hand wound with silver wire by Peter Clark (I owed him a big favor for doing that as the work really aggravated his arthritic fingers).

I'll post some photos later when I'm on my other computer.

Nice to meet you all -

Jeromie

nParbat

Re: An introduction - Jeromie Stephens - Fredericksburg, VA
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2022, 02:46 am »
Hello and welcome,
Can you share more about your reproductions of the Altec 612 cabinets with PAS 15" coaxial drivers. Is it a diy project, or did you use a cabinet builder, is crossover complicated?
Cheers,
Scott

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2022, 03:39 pm »
Hello and welcome,
Can you share more about your reproductions of the Altec 612 cabinets with PAS 15" coaxial drivers. Is it a diy project, or did you use a cabinet builder, is crossover complicated?
Cheers,
Scott
I am also curious about the cabinet builds as well as the crossovers. 

Paul

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2022, 04:22 pm »
jbrianfoto hasn't been on since the post was made in May.