We are playing with the Pioneer SW-8MK2 woofer

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
We are playing with the Pioneer SW-8MK2 woofer
« on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:29 pm »
I restarted this thread here because it seemed to be overlooked on the Pionerr SP-BS22 thread.  So here is my quickly review again.

My Pioneer SW-8MK2 powered "subwoofer" arrived yesterday, $111 and free shipping from Best Buy.

We have it set up this morning with our pair of SP-BS22 speakers mounted on Sanus lowest price stands.

At the prices I paid, we now have a complete three piece satellite, subwoofer system for all of $275 including the stands.

The SW-8MK2 is a self powered unit with a built in 100W amplifier.  It has back panel controls for phase, crossover frequency, and level.  It also has a three position switch for either always on, music sensing on, or standby.  It has both line and speaker level inputs, although the speaker level inputs are the dreaded spring loaded push the speaker wire in the holes type.

It has an 8" woofer firing down from the bottom of the enclosure, with a large diameter front port and a little blue LED on the front side.

Matching it to the main speakers is done by ear.  Adjust the controls until it sounds right to you, and of course position in the room will make a big difference too.  There is no "right or wrong" guidelines for it, just play with it until it sounds right with your speakers.

In my sound lab, I have the volume set just under half, the crossover at about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, the phase switch set to zero, and the woofer itself out in the room beside one of the stand mounted BS22s.  It is being driven from a Fet Valve hybrid preamplifier's second set of line level outputs.  The main speakers are being driven by a Synergy 240 amplifier. This quickie setup seems to be useful for us.

In some systems a Harrison passive high pass filter might be useful.  These are available at reasonable prices from Parts Express.  These would be installed in line with the signals from your preamp to the main power amp to keep deep bass out of your small main speakers.  We are not using them at this time, but I might order as set after I get an answer from Parts Express regarding how much the input impedance of the amplifier used affects the pass frequency of the filter.  I have found no data about this so far.

Anyway, back to the SP-BS22 and SW-8MK2 system. It is one remarkably good system!  Easily good enough to draw you into the music and ignore the electronic and mechanical parts and just enjoy the music.  And this is exactly what your audio system should do for you.

Right now we are listening to a CD of Travelin' Light with great tube player Sam Pilafian.  The little system is doing a great job with.

The bass response of the SB-BS22 is way cleaner than I had expected and it caries a very low frequency tune quite well, it is definitely not a "boom box".

I call it really recommended to add a useful low frequency dimension to your small speakers.  What the heck, at $159 list price and often discounted to one third off, you really can't go wrong.

Another winner, Mr. Jones.

Frank Van Alstine

Doublej

Re: We are playing with the Pioneer SW-8MK2 woofer
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:37 pm »
Frank

Do you have any other subs to compare it to so you can see how it stacks up?

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:37 pm »
double post
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2013, 04:46 pm by Doublej »

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:46 pm »
No other powered subs, just my normal reference Salk HT3s and B&W 801s.

The Pioneer SW-8MK2 does not reach as deep or as cleanly as either of these of course, but it sure is a nice addition to the Sp-BS22s.

Frank

Tubo

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:20 pm »
Has anybody tried using 2, 3, 4—heck, a swarm!—of these subwoofers? At their low price it would be tempting. (I would do it myself but I live in a condo and don't have any more room.) For example, two back to back or one on top of the other; or one in a corner and one next to the listening position. Or 3 or 4 distributed asymmetrically around the room.

Does using more than one of these subs increase their dynamics and punch? Do they go lower? Do they even out the room response when placed asymmetrically around the room? Do they sound cleaner?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2013, 05:34 pm »
It probably would be more appropriate to call the SW-8MK2 a powered woofer, not a subwoofer.

Pioneer's specifications shows low frequency range just down to 38Hz, and provides no frequency curves so one can't see how it gets there and then what it does.

In my room it certainly adds bass power quite nicely to the SP-BS22s, but not as clear and defined very low frequency power I can get with my much bigger and more expensive reference speakers.

I doubt of using two or more of them would extend the range deeper.  One does just fine for matching the output levels of the SP-BS22s.

If you can find one at Best Buy's often 1/3 off price, it certainly is worthwhile trying one.  It of course could be useful with any number of bass limited small speakers, even much more expensive ones.

Frank

revrob

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2013, 06:21 pm »
Frank,

Thanks for all the info on the Pioneer's stuff. Is there a $100 integrated amp that would go with this setup for a nice bedroom set up $400.00 total?

Thanks.

Flyquail56

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2013, 12:48 am »
For what it's worth, Hometheater.com has a response graph for the BS-22, the sub, and center channel speaker, with explanation of how measurements were  taken:  http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:16 am »
Wow, -3db point on the sub is 31hz?  It was close miked so there shouldn't be a lot of room gain, looks like the mfg underspec'd the performance a tad.  (He said TAD, get it?) 

Alexdad54

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2013, 06:00 pm »
Frank, while I realize that this is a less than optimal choice, I was wondering if you thought that this might go well with my Salk Song Tower's as I know you are very familiar with that brand. I'm in a cash-limited situation so if this sub might work until I can save for a Rythmik (or similar) it would be great,
thanks!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:18 pm »
Since the Pioneer SW-8MK2 will reach deeper than your Songtowers, it might be a very useful low cost way to extend their low frequency reach and power.

Watch for it on sale at Best Buy and it you can get it for $110 or so it certainly would be worthwhile trying.

Frank

Alexdad54

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:29 pm »
Thanks Frank, I'll keep my eyes open and when it comes up on sale, make a dash across the border to Bellingham to pick it up.....

Then all I'll have to do is try and distill down from all the info here on AC on how to properly utilize it with my system!  :lol:

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm »
Since the Pioneer SW-8MK2 will reach deeper than your Songtowers, it might be a very useful low cost way to extend their low frequency reach and power.

Watch for it on sale at Best Buy and it you can get it for $110 or so it certainly would be worthwhile trying.

Frank

Frank,

Are you saying that the quality of the bass in the SW-8MK2 is up to that on the Songtower? If so that's quite an endorsement. I am getting one next time it goes on sale unless there's an SW8-MK3 in the works.

skriefal

• SLC, Utah
« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2013, 01:32 am »
Has anybody tried using 2, 3, 4—heck, a swarm!—of these subwoofers? At their low price it would be tempting. (I would do it myself but I live in a condo and don't have any more room.) For example, two back to back or one on top of the other; or one in a corner and one next to the listening position. Or 3 or 4 distributed asymmetrically around the room.

Does using more than one of these subs increase their dynamics and punch? Do they go lower? Do they even out the room response when placed asymmetrically around the room? Do they sound cleaner?

I have a pair of the SW-8s (MK1) in my bedroom.  They're quite satisfactory -- but it is a small room with lots of nasty room modes that need to be corrected by Audyssey.  And I thought that they had 50w amps with "peak" output of 100w.

They don't take up much space if you stack them.  Doing so will give you a +6dB increase which should lower the effective -3dB point of the pair.

LadyDog

« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:40 am »
For those in the market, $88 at Fry's.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:15 am »
Thanks for the heads up Frank, this 2.1 setup looks very promising in my 2nd audio system.

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2013, 04:36 am »
How accessible is the amplifier on it? SMD or through hole parts?

Ryan45872

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2013, 09:10 pm »
Just thought someone would like to know this sub is on sale @ BestBuy again.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+Subwoofer/5086873.p?id=1218610014537&skuId=5086873

Ryan

Alexdad54

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2013, 10:34 pm »
Thanks! I'll have to hop across the border to pick one up this weekend. Do you know if there's an end date on the sale?

kylek

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2013, 09:17 pm »
Anyone know what the input impedance is on the line inputs?