Nother nube here..

Camtjfreak

Nother nube here..
« on: 14 Feb 2021, 03:49 am »
Hey y’all, I’m Cameron from Denver Colorado.

I’ve been working on a pair of xls encores. Just got my birch wood cabinets/flat packs from Peter a while back... I’m to the point now where I’m routing and I’ve painted the front baffles with a dark grey color. Needing some sanding and some sort of semi gloss to complete and bam I’ll be ready for gr to send me the kit so I can finish my build. Few questions, what rubber feet is everyone using and I need some speaker wire that will pair well with these speakers and the tube connectors? Just getting into this speaker building but spent a lot of my younger life wood working with my father and at school. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go and I wanna say “Thanks!” before hand for what ever help you all might provide. Have pics but can’t post them just yet..

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Nother nube here..
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2021, 04:36 pm »
Hi Cameron,

Welcome to AC.

An alternative to feet is Herbie’s Fat Dots from Herbie’s Audio Lab

As for speaker cables, I like the Cable kits Danny offers. Before putting tube connectors on the amp end, make sure they fit the connections on the amp. Sometimes the tube connector studs are fatter than the amp’s binding posts

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2021, 04:55 pm »
Hi Cameron. If you're looking for something to provide a little grip on a stand or similar it can be as simple as dots like this, many to choose from:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/175691O/3mtm-bumpontm-protective-products.pdf

I like 3m, as they are what they say...rubber. Some "me too" products are actually vinyl. Rubber tends to be more benign with wood finishes, vinyl often less so. They all can interact over the long haul...too many variables involved to know for certain.  They would even offer some bit of isolation, which is a subject of many discussions on this, and other, forums. I'll leave it at that.

Edited to add: I learned something here after my curiosity got the better of me and I ran down a rabbit hole. Bumpons, are in fact, urethane. As noted in this text lifted from product description it's often the plasticizers that interact with wood finish.

3M Bumpon SJ Series Self-Adhesive Bumpers are pressure sensitive adhesive-backed polyurethane products that can be used as feet, stops, spacers and protectors in many applications. The urethane is a durable, resilient elastomer. The aggressive, high tack pressure sensitive adhesive is protected with a release liner making application fast and easy. The plasticizer-free urethane composition of the bumpons exhibit excellent skid resistance, long aging resiliency (will not crack or harden), abrasion resistance and resistance to marring and staining. Use 3M Bumpons almost anywhere slamming, scratching, nicking, scuffing, marring, sliding, vibration, or noise could be a problem for your product.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2021, 05:57 pm by Peter J »

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2021, 05:18 pm »
Hello Cameron, welcome to AC !

Amazon sells aproduct called Sorbathane,  it can be found in varying thickness's  and dimensions.   Works  great between speakers/stands or even  stands and electrical components.    Nothing  will move / slide on it  either,  it is extremely  secure

jay

Camtjfreak

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2021, 08:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply’s guys.. I’ll look into those options for sure. I was thinking of the feet that had a threaded part that I’d have to drill into the cabinet.. then I could go from rubber to a spike if I needed.. as for the cables I’m wanting some that will take advantage of my up graded xls options. Wasn't sure if there were any pre made options out there?.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2021, 08:37 pm »
Thanks for the reply’s guys.. I’ll look into those options for sure. I was thinking of the feet that had a threaded part that I’d have to drill into the cabinet.. then I could go from rubber to a spike if I needed.. as for the cables I’m wanting some that will take advantage of my up graded xls options. Wasn't sure if there were any pre made options out there?.

For good premade cables at a reasonable price check out Douglas Connections. Doug is in Austin

Camtjfreak

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2021, 09:23 pm »
Thank u sir I will!

Camtjfreak

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2021, 10:02 pm »
Does Douglas connectors offer tube connector with male ends? Or do I need to send mine off to him..

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2021, 10:16 pm »
Does Douglas connectors offer tube connector with male ends? Or do I need to send mine off to him..

No he doesn’t, you’d need to talk to him rather than just ordering off the website

Camtjfreak

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2021, 11:40 pm »
Gotcha!  I’ll give him a shout

Camtjfreak

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:37 pm »
Not sure why it won’t let me post pics... hmm

Mrjdo

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2021, 06:34 pm »
 I like the old Vibrapods, Amazon has them in all the models.(supporting weight) 

Camtjfreak

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2021, 09:57 pm »
Is 1/2 or 3/4 round over preferred for sound?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2021, 10:23 pm »
Is 1/2 or 3/4 round over preferred for sound?

Cam, if you're talking roundovers on vertical edges, theoretically one could go as much as 3/4" radius and maintain wall thickness. Problem is the radius will intersect the frame of woofer...not a good look!

Max of 5/8" probably best. 1/2" is typical and works fine for edge refraction purposes.

devious17

• Dont drive faster than your guardian angel.
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2021, 04:34 am »
 :wave:

Creed

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2021, 05:49 am »
I have the hot rodded XLS and use Blue Tak from Office Depot for feet

Camtjfreak

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2021, 05:59 am »
Thank u Peter already at a 1/2 round over guess I’ll leave it there! Howdy fellas nice to meet ya! I’ll look into those blue tak feet for sure. Think my fist song through these speakers will be SRV Riviera Paradise...

ssglx

« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2021, 11:39 am »
As far as mounts for bookshelf speakers, another vote for Vibrapods.

Sorbathane sucked too much life from the sound, and Blue Tack affected the frequency balance too much.
Vibrapods let the speakers breath freely.

My 2nd favorite are Isol-pads; kind of a cork and rubber sandwich.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2021, 12:51 am »

Camtjfreak

« Reply #19 on: 18 Feb 2021, 12:57 am »
More sanding, painting the front with another coat and some sort of satin semi gloss finish.  I’d like to keep the color of the wood and not darken it (like to keep it light in color) with the semi gloss... any recommendations welcome there too..