Looking for a good Blu Ray player/CD transport to replace Denon 3910 DVD

vinyl_lady

I am ready to make the move from DVD to Blu Ray and looking for recommendations for a Blu Ray player that also would serve as my CD transport. I am currently using a Denon 3910 as my DVD player/CD transport through a modified Musical Fidelity X-DACv8.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Laura

Hyfi

The OPPO 83-SE is getting great reviews. The SE version has upgraded audio for use as CDP as well as BR playback.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83se/

TheChairGuy

Laura,

The Oppo seems to be a universal fave at any price up to mega thousands as CD, DVD & Blu-ray player.  Not that I've heard one yet, however :dunno:

A good player needs run into an isolation transformer to keep digital garbage from contaminating your precious vinyl :wink:  Really, it has really proved incredibly beneficial...whereas use of most 'conditioners' for the whole system has not been overly helpful :( 

But, for digital, consider getting one (they need not be large or expensive as digital players don't have high wattage demand)

As well, after choosing whatever player (OPPO or another) you may want to try a Dakiom Feedback Stabilizer.  The owners rants on Audiogon (look up Dakiom on Audiogon) are the stuff of legends...but, Dr. Dao is truly on to something with these. 

The MR273 is the top-of-the-line, replacing your interconnect essentially, and is $109 each (so, $218 for a stereo pair)

I, my opinion only folks, have yet to find a DAC or connection that didn't add a haze or unnaturalness to the music (maybe that's jitter I'm hearing :scratch:), but a good player run into an isolation transformer and connected to your preamp via a Dakiom MR273 is a pretty great way to enjoy digital. 

In fact, vinyl is just a bit better, not by leagues,  than digital with the Iso Tranny and Dakiom used.

Yes, heresy spoken by a equally-adamant vinylphool like yourself  :wink:

Regards, John
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 10:48 pm by TheChairGuy »

Nuance

The OPPO 83-SE is getting great reviews. The SE version has upgraded audio for use as CDP as well as BR playback.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83se/

+1

jriggy

+1

And then Modwright it!

Cant wait to get mine back (went back for a quick fix)! Dan's sources are top notch. BTW, my MW moded unit is the non SE version and to my ears, is very detailed yet not overly analytical, still very musical, and still breaking in...

Audio-den

Get the NuForce OPPO83 SE 1295.00 KILLER PLAYER   Enjoy AL

jd3

I've got an unmodified 83SE and I think it's a great all round player.  Hard to go wrong with one.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com

PeteG

Get the NuForce OPPO83 SE 1295.00 KILLER PLAYER   Enjoy AL

+1

kenreau

If you really want to just be able to enjoy BluRay movies, I suggest a Sony PS3.  The drag with the PS3 is no coax digital out, only toslink and HDMI.  The Sony PS3 is a fast loading, high quality video machine for the money.  Plus, you can get web access networking.  I have a couple of friends with non-Sony BluRay machines and they are constantly locking up, slow to read and/or not reading discs for movies. 

I imagine your Denon 3910 is at least as good as any transport that will do redbook in the same $1~1.5K price range.  I had one and kind of regret not keeping it.  Multi format, all around great universal players.  As long as you own it, I would keep it for the audio only aspects.

Kenreau

vinyl_lady

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. What I'm hoping to find is a Blu Ray player that will serve as a good transport for CDs (at least as good as the Denon 3910) plus play movies and concert DVDs or concert Blu Rays. The Denon 3910 is a great DVD player with, as Kenreau notes, a very good transport for its price range. I need a coax digital out so I can run the audio through my modded MF DAC. That requirement probably rules out the Sony PS3.

I think I'll talk to Dan Wright concerning the modded Oppo and how it's internal DAC would compare to my MF.

vinyl_lady

Laura,

The Oppo seems to be a universal fave at any price up to mega thousands as CD, DVD & Blu-ray player.  Not that I've heard one yet, however :dunno:

A good player needs run into an isolation transformer to keep digital garbage from contaminating your precious vinyl :wink:  Really, it has really proved incredibly beneficial...whereas use of most 'conditioners' for the whole system has not been overly helpful :( 

But, for digital, consider getting one (they need not be large or expensive as digital players don't have high wattage demand)

As well, after choosing whatever player (OPPO or another) you may want to try a Dakiom Feedback Stabilizer.  The owners rants on Audiogon (look up Dakiom on Audiogon) are the stuff of legends...but, Dr. Dao is truly on to something with these. 

The MR273 is the top-of-the-line, replacing your interconnect essentially, and is $109 each (so, $218 for a stereo pair)

I, my opinion only folks, have yet to find a DAC or connection that didn't add a haze or unnaturalness to the music (maybe that's jitter I'm hearing :scratch:), but a good player run into an isolation transformer and connected to your preamp via a Dakiom MR273 is a pretty great way to enjoy digital. 

In fact, vinyl is just a bit better, not by leagues,  than digital with the Iso Tranny and Dakiom used.

Yes, heresy spoken by a equally-adamant vinylphool like yourself  :wink:

Regards, John

Thanks John. Vinyl remains my preferable media by a long shot. :thumb: I play CDs when I'm lazy, multi-tasking around the house of the music wasn't release on vinyl. I use my Denon for concert DVDs and a few movies plus as a transport for CDs.

I haven't heard of the Dakiom feedback stabilizer so I'll check it out.

Thanks John