What would be your dream job in music or audio?

SwedeSound

What would be your dream job in music or audio?
« on: 15 May 2010, 11:58 pm »
This presumes you would want a job in music or audio at all (tho considering this site's mission, it's not a ridiculous notion), I'm curious what it might be.

Would you want to be a famous musician, a singer, a producer, recording engineer, record company executive, a roadie, speaker designer, or an audio store owner? It can be ANYTHING at all related to music or audio. What would it be?

-Jason

PS -- I'm in full-scale job search mode myself after five years as a stay-at-home-Dad/freelance writer, so I guess jobs and careers are on my brain.

TONEPUB

Re: What would be your dream job in music or audio?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2010, 12:03 am »
I'd like to be the tour photographer for Metallica for a year.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2010, 12:33 am »
I've always had a fantasized of being a lead singer/guitarist of a rock band, use to dream about it when I was a teenager. Just a memory nowadays but I envy those like Lonewolf who have actually lived the dream.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2010, 01:29 am »
Groupie Quality Control   :eyebrows:

Delta Wave

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 01:37 am »
I actually used to work in a CD mastering lab, it wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. Ever had to listen to N'Sync for 12 hours straight?  :duh:

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2010, 01:56 am »
Beer tester. Recommending which beer goes best with which music. I'm thinking this should be a 7 day per week kind of job with no time off for vacation or holidays. A real grind, but someone's gotta do it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2010, 02:00 am »
OTL designer.   But I would be happy with a job at Atma-Sphere factory. (Hello Ralph!!)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2010, 02:03 am »
Groupie Quality Control   :eyebrows:

Now that's a good job....with many benefits and perks....    :wink:  :lol:

pjchappy

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2010, 02:06 am »
Now that's a good job....with many benefits and perks....    :wink:  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwLcti9wpyY

Let the champagne corks pop!

So subtle. . . so subtle.

Paul

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2010, 02:14 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwLcti9wpyY

Let the champagne corks pop!

So subtle. . . so subtle.

Paul

Gee Paul, I sorta thought being an Audiocircle facilitator was your dream job.  8)   :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

pjchappy

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2010, 02:37 am »
It is pretty glamorous and guilt-free.  Plus, it pays a crap-ton of money. :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2010, 02:56 am »
It is pretty glamorous and guilt-free.  Plus, it pays a crap-ton of money. :lol:

Only thing missing is them AudioCircle groupies.  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2010, 03:17 am »

Only thing missing is them AudioCircle groupies.  :D

Maybe you can contact a few....  :lol:

Opus Flatus

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2010, 08:15 am »
Dream Job: Official tour "Bro" for either Weezer or the Foofighters. The job would entail just hanging out, drinking bear, and "managing" groupies for the band. Thanks for the "Dirty Woman" stream. Somehow I was able to stream with out the net police catching it. I'm in an Arabic land where that's a no no :eyebrows: Singer/guitarist in a band (alt/indie) would also be cool.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2010, 10:37 am »
Sell audio equipment out of my house by appointment only.  I've got 2 good rooms plus a 3rd if family are out of the house to demo from.  No overhead, do it at your convenience, chat audio, no pressure, and play with lots of different stuff.  Pretty much the ideal way to audition (short of trying it in your own home and with your own system of course).

A local guy did it for a while and cleared a boat load of money (but got greedy and went bricks & mortar, then custom HT installation). 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2010, 12:53 pm »
talent scout for the label

Napalm

« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2010, 01:13 pm »
George Clooney's job here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193138/

which I would particularly enjoy doing to sound engineers. The "loudness war" kind of them.

Nap. :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2010, 02:13 pm »
I'd love to build things related to music, audio, and home theater. Anything from little round wooden disks for turntables all the way up to entire home theater rooms. Doesn't matter.
If I could be guaranteed 60K+ a year, with benefits, I'd quit my day job immediately.
I know it's not as glamorous as being the rock star, nor as titillating as "breast approval personnel", but it's a passion.

Bob

SwedeSound

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2010, 02:21 pm »
I just realized I asked the question without answering myself. I guess it would be something related to performing or being a part of live music. Being an amateur player in the loosest sense of the word, I've had some of the most fun in my life playing guitar, bass and drums with buddies in the basement. The reality of playing in a real band and life on the road is probably not nearly as glamorous -- nor does it suit my current life as a husband and father of two young boys.

So, while being a successful musician might have had a lot of appeal in my youth (and still does to a degree), I think a better fit might be as a concert promoter at a major venue where you get the feel of a concert tour without having to go anywhere. Tho I am sure the reality of that gig is also something less than I imagine.

Delta Wave

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2010, 02:45 pm »
Actually, managing a famous rock band of extremely hot, loose, early 20's chicks would be cool.  :eyebrows: