any diesel VW owners (or experience)?

drphoto

any diesel VW owners (or experience)?
« on: 27 May 2007, 11:45 pm »
While I'm leaning heavily to the Mazda3 for my next vehicle, I want to keep an open mind. The diesel Jetta sure looks good from a fuel economy perpective, but I've heard VW QC sucks. Any thoughts?

doorman

Re: any diesel VW owners (or experience)?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2007, 11:52 pm »
As the owner of a Golf TDI, I've had zero QC issues, the car is safe, comfortable, and very fuel efficient. (Avg fuel comsumption approx 1100 km's per 45 L.)
  Great road car. As always, YMMV!
                                                                               Don

jon_010101

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2007, 12:15 am »
Can you wait until 2008?  The next-gen VW diesel will be significantly improved over the current-gen in every regard... emissions, efficiency, power.

My friend had to replace his 04's engine quite early due to carbon build-up -- and they refused to cover it under his extended warranty, because it was caused by another part that failed and wasn't replaced.  Not that the dealership mechanics discovered this failure in time to save the engine :roll:  Kinda a turn-off to me, although mostly a customer service issue.  But I will still consider an '08 Jetta TDI Wagon.  They will be too cool to ignore.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2007, 12:30 am »
VW quality was poor in the 90s. Turned around since late 90s. Now pretty good. Finding a dealer that has caught up to the new VW corporate quality program might be hard though. Some are still dorks. You can wander into the service department in the morning hours and talk to a few repair customers to find out about their buying and service experience. You will get an earful if they suck, also look online in the VW forums for dealer opinions. The TDI has a good rep.

Rich

izoard

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2007, 12:56 am »
'04 Passat Wagon owner here.  Best car I have ever owned.  The 2 liter engine with Rocketchip mod makes 300 lb-ft, around 170hp.  It feels like a small 8 cylinder, averages 35mpg mixed suburban driving, easily does 42mpg+ on extended highway trips at speed limit.  66k with virtually no problems.  So smooth, high torque economy car is just a lot of fun, especially on the highway.  Great room in this car for passengers and cargo.

I would prefer a stick, not available on this model. 

The Passat is rare, larger, heavier car than the Golf or Jetta, though not too much bigger than the newest Jetta.  Different engine with more power, less mpg in the passat vs. golf/jetta.  Not offered any longer, don't know if VW will bring one for '08.  I might sell it now, prices are very high, buy an Audi diesel when available with awd, hopefully stick.

Place on the net for TDI enthusiasts is www.tdiclub.com

srclose

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2007, 01:13 am »
We have 105,000 mi on an '03 Jetta TDI with no problems at all.  Maintenance has been changing oil and filter routinely, fuel filter occasionally, and air filter once.  Upper 40s MPG on the road, and mid 30s in town with stop and go driving.  This is a 5 speed with enough power to drive comfortably.  I'd buy another one in a minute, although I'd like to have a larger body with a bit more power; that may have already been addressed in the newer or upcoming models.  We plan to run 200,000 miles on the current car before looking for another diesel.  I didn't see the percentage in buying a hybrid with higher complexity and initial cost when we were looking in summer '03.

jt1stcav

• Li'l Sammy...she loves directly heated triodes!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2007, 04:03 pm »
My dad bought a basic '86 Golf 1.6L 5-speed diesel; owned it for over 10 years and put over 150,000 miles on it and never had a single problem with it. Used to drive from FL to northwestern NY yearly on business on only two tanks of diesel each way! For a 56 HP 4-banger, it was slow getting started, but once you were up to highway speed it moved out pretty well. It was one of the most reliable cars he ever owned!

tomjtx

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2007, 07:03 pm »
The 08 Jetta diesel will use common rail technology and bluetec(although VW calls it blue motion) This is a urea tech. which results in emissions so low it can rival the Prius. The new Jetta is reported to get 60mpg on the highway.
That's why I am waiting.

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2007, 07:47 pm »
I drive an 03 golf TDI with a chip upgrade.  I will never go back to a gas car.

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2007, 08:16 pm »
My wife and I owned a 2000 Jetta TDI and I had a good friend that also owned the same year/model.  On the interstate at 70 MPH I could average 55 to 58 MPG.  The fuel economy was fantastic.  Now for the negatives.  If you need service you have to go to the VW Shop because no one else can work on them.  Everytime we had issues the car would be at the dealership for 3 to 5 days and trust me repairs were not cheap.  Also you have to change the timing belt (yes belt) every 40,000 miles or that lovely 100,000 mile power train warranty is null and void.  If a TDI diesel breaks a timing belt you are looking at a new engine. 

Fuel economy looks great but take the step to a TDI with your eyes wide open.  You have to pay more for the diesel out front and maintenance will be higher.  You need to calculate how many miles you have to drive with the better fuel economy just to justify the diesel engine cost.  Also, remember that diesel fuel is more expensive than gas in the winter months.  One last thought, you will need to carry those disposal pastic mitts in your car to keep from getting diesel fuel on your hands.  Trust me, once you get diesel fuel on you once you will remember it!

Good Luck,

Ken

doorman

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2007, 08:53 pm »
The service interval for the TDI's timing belt replacement is about 95,000 kms for the 5 speed. Don't know where you live, Bigfish, but the town I live in has a pop of approx. 50 K and there are at least 5 repair facilities that service VW's. Also,many diesel engines have zero tolerance between piston and valve's.
 The cost of diesel fuel is always below gasoline here on Vancouver Isl.
 As always ,YMMV!

Bigfish

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2007, 09:10 pm »
Like I indicated I had a 2000 Model Jetta TDI.  I currently own an F250 SD with the 7.3 Liter Powerstroke Diesel so trust me I know the advantages and disadvantages of a Diesel Motor.  As I previously stated a person should purchase a diesel because they know they want one and understand the pros and cons.  Diesels do cost more when you purchase one and maintenance is more expensive - don't let anyone tell you otherwise!  Also on the East Coast diesel fuel is more expensive in the fall and winter than gas because it is very similar to home heating oil. 

Again, good luck with your decision!

Ken

tomjtx

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2007, 09:20 pm »
Honda will bring their Accord diesel to US in 2008 or 2009.
I would like to wait but might not be able to.
The Accord Diesel is selling great in europe and is a blast to drive.
Here there are many independant shops that work on VW and Mercedes diesels at a reasonable price.

Danberg

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2007, 10:20 pm »
Bigfish... It was good that you presended both sides.  It seems on topics like this you see only completely positive comments or completely negative ones.  As I was reading it gave me food for thought on considering a diesel engine.

Phil

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2007, 12:50 am »
Anyone using biodiesel in the VW?  Any issues or problems?

Thanks.

rlee8394

« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2007, 01:19 am »
Go here for everything you would ever want to know about VW diesels.

http://www.tdiclub.com

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2007, 03:54 am »
Go here for everything you would ever want to know about VW diesels.

http://www.tdiclub.com

Thanks, great site.
izoard already sent us there on page one.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2007, 06:38 pm »
Also keep in mind that U.S. Honda techs won't have a clue how to service a diesel for a year or two should a breakdown occur.

sts9fan

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2007, 06:46 pm »
Anyone using biodiesel in the VW?  Any issues or problems?

I currently am running very close to B100 in my tank right now.  No issues.  The newer PD motors are not as proven with the methyl esters but anythng pre 04 LOVES the stuff.  It runs so much smoother its crazy.

The only issue is I have to drive ~20miles each way to get it

tomjtx

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2007, 07:32 pm »
Also keep in mind that U.S. Honda techs won't have a clue how to service a diesel for a year or two should a breakdown occur.

Isn't that true of VW dealers as well? At least that is what it looks like from reading the VW and TDI forums.
EG. most dealers don't know what oil to use and use the same as the gas engines.

Mobil makes a special synthetic for diesel but some dealers don't even know that.