OPPO!

SlushPuppy

Re: OPPO!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:36 pm »
At RMAF I heard OPPO was discontinuing the BDP 83 & 83SE and that the 93 would not have 2 channel analog output. This is why I ordered the 83 SE as soon as I returned from RMAF and sent it to ModWright to have Dan install his tube mod with the PS-9 power supply. http://www.modwright.com/modifications/19
I was ready to add Blu Ray for concert videos and with Dan's tube mod ensures supurb audio (for digital) :lol:

That's why I'm waiting for the BDP-95. Early reports say it will have balanced stereo outputs and will be built specifically for audiophiles.

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:40 pm »
I hear the BDP-95 is slated for release in late January - here is Music Direct's page for it - http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89632

SlushPuppy

« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:44 pm »
I hear the BDP-95 is slated for release in late January - here is Music Direct's page for it - http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89632

That's what I heard too, but Oppo isn't giving a firm date. All they're saying is "early next year".

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:48 pm »
It's likely they will have it (BDP-95) at CES in early January and then it is a question before they go full production.  I'd assume the digital/video sections are going to be substantially the same as the BD-93 and if that is the case they should have most of the firmware issues resolved that might push back release of the product.

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:52 pm »

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:27 pm »
Of course the real question is how long will it take before Modwright offers to work its magic with the BDP-95?  :drool:

Gene

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:57 pm »
Of course the real question is how long will it take before Modwright offers to work its magic with the BDP-95?  :drool:

Gene
This - http://www.kleenex.com/FacialTissues.aspx will help in the meantime with the drool -  :lol:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:21 pm »
(more things I'm finding/figuring out)

While it's great that the 93 has FLAC support, playback is "banded" between tracks. Nobody else gets it correct, so, it's not a deal breaker.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #28 on: 26 Nov 2010, 04:58 pm »
I may have come across my first BDP-93 firmware problem:

I just went from playing an SACD (analog out) to playing a CD (Digital Coax out). The CD plays, with no sound output.

My Peachtree Nova's light for the particular digital input will blink, indicating no handshake.

Cycle power on the Oppo, problem goes away.

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 26 Nov 2010, 05:12 pm »
Thanks for keeping us up to date.  Mine will get here Tuesday and it will probably be in my main system for a month or so together with my modded BDP-83.  Once it goes to the bedroom system, it probably will get used about once a month so I appreciate knowing about all the quirks.  It gets used for background music and the bedroom system feeds 4 other places via a speaker switcher and an occasional movie.  I like having a machine that can do all formats for that purpose.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #30 on: 26 Nov 2010, 05:35 pm »
Thanks for keeping us up to date.  Mine will get here Tuesday and it will probably be in my main system for a month or so together with my modded BDP-83.  Once it goes to the bedroom system, it probably will get used about once a month so I appreciate knowing about all the quirks.  It gets used for background music and the bedroom system feeds 4 other places via a speaker switcher and an occasional movie.  I like having a machine that can do all formats for that purpose.

I just realized the digital/analog output switching issue is across media/format types: Night before last, I had gone from an SACD to a Blu-Ray (Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones). I went into the setup menu for the disk, selecting the PCM track, hit play, and got no sound. It was already a long day at 2:30 AM, so I just chocked it up to the BR encoders being bastards.

One of the things I think is great about the 93 is the eSATA connection on the back. I can hang a hard drive off it, and then I've got a not-so-poor man's media server. I don't like that I have to use FAT/FAT32/NTFS file systems only.

UPDATE: Phil, I forgot to say... You're welcome.

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2010, 05:43 pm »
My bedroom system backs to the main system and when I upgrade the pre/pro situation in the main system, I'll be able to interconnect more.  I have the Squeezebox Touch going into my Bryston DAC in the main system and when I have the pre/pro situation resolved, I'll have the RCA outputs of the Bryston DAC going into the bedroom system and access to anything in the main system.  I'll also (it's been on my to do list for a bit) get around to putting some music on a USB thumb drive so that I can have some selections to quickly move around.  My Marantz SR6003 in the bedroom has a USB input as does the Pioneer 1120 I have in the basement system.  I also do have cabling I ran to the basement system but I mainly use that system for daytime sporting events as the main room is too bright for daytime TV.  It's nice to know though that I can get a hard drive and have that option.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #32 on: 3 Dec 2010, 06:31 pm »
Got my Oppo BDP-93 the other day. It's replacing an Oppo DV-980H. Other than that the BDP-93 plays BLU RAY discs and has better on screen set up instructions I can't see or hear anything different. If I were able to compare them side by side I'd go with the DV-980-H. I played regular DVD's on both machines.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 3 Dec 2010, 06:58 pm »
I read the Oppo BDP-83 has video processing controls with the Anchor Bay ABT2010 Chip. Does anyone know if the new model can also serve as a pre/pro for a Directv sat.box? If so that would be a big plus.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:51 am »
I don't believe the 93 will accept active A/V input. Rather, any file that is in a format the machine recognizes can be accessed via storage connected via eSATA & USB. Have messed around with the wireless network function only a little... Just had an idea. Will report back in a little while.

Independent of the above, I have uncovered more crankiness of the firmware.

01) It doesn't like it when you go rooting around via the Home button when you don't have any external devices going: You wind up being stuck roaming around in the Home sub-menus. This is another case where cycling power makes the problem go away.

02) Moving back and forth between Classic Records DADs and regular DVD-As causes the video output to lock up. Discs will play, you just can't see how to navigate. Yep, cycling power makes the problem go away.

UPDATE:

I just got the network piece going, and tried to access via the 93's wireless network one of my computers also on the network. No Dice.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #35 on: 18 Dec 2010, 03:58 am »
A FIRMWARE UPDATE

My machine came with BDP9X-26-1106. Currently available is BDPX-33-1206.

I did the update via USB drive. Total file size unzipped is 36.1 MB.

The instructions on the web page provide all the information you'll need. It's very easy, and works as advertised. Total time from starting the download to putting the USB drive away was 10 min. Of course, YMMV.

DID THE FIRMWARE UPDATE FIX ANYTHING?

01) Setup & configuration menus are _fast_. Originally, they were slow and sluggish.

02) I've been having problems with picking up where I left off after stopping a disc. SOP for any other player I've had is press the stop button once. At that point, you can either press play again, or eject the disc and the next time the disc is played, it picks up where it left off previously. I chocked my problem to the Oppo doing things differently, and I needed to press the right button(s). Repeated reading of the manual did not help.

After the firmware update, I was playing various discs to see (and hear) any difference. I pressed "stop" one time, and for the first time, I got an on-screen prompt for the business-as-usual functionality.

03) While I haven't noticed any difference in picture, the audio seems to have better definition overall, particularly through the mid-band. It is possible that what I am hearing is weather related. Looks like I'll have to do some in-depth testing. Good thing I have some time off coming up, and an adequate supply of port.

DID THE FIRMWARE UPDATE BREAK ANYTHING?

So far, not that I can tell.

Phil A

« Reply #36 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:31 am »
I got the E-Mail about the firmware update but have not done it yet.  I have the BDP-93 in the bedroom system.  Tried a couple of things in the main system for a couple of weeks and moved it to where I bought it to go.  Looking forward to try a couple of movies and some SACDs over the weekend

Mike Nomad

« Reply #37 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:37 am »
I got the E-Mail about the firmware update but have not done it yet.

Interesting. I didn't get an email. I found out there was an update when a friend (who doesn't have a BDP-93) asked me if I had done the update. So, off to the website I went...

Phil A

« Reply #38 on: 18 Dec 2010, 01:20 pm »
Here's what I got:

We appreciate all the valuable feedback we have received based on your observations, concerns, and errors you may have experienced while using the BDP-93. Without your valuable feedback we would not be able to happily announce the immediate release of the latest Official BDP-93 33-1216 Firmware(http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/bdp9x-firmware-33-1216.aspx).

This firmware substantially improves on HDMI handshakes and compatibilities, fixes a compatibility issue which did not allow some customers to listen to multi-channel SACD over HDMI 1 when using the DSD mode, and increases disc and user-generated media compatibilities.

Please download the 33-1216 (http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/bdp9x-firmware-33-1216.aspx) at your earliest convenience and continue to provide us with the feedback necessary to make the BDP-93 the product of the year for 2010!

Sincerely,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

Mike Nomad

« Reply #39 on: 18 Dec 2010, 01:57 pm »
Here's what I got:

Phil, thanks for posting the email. I did get one after all: It showed up later last night. Let us know how your update goes.