Advice on 40" HDTV, $1500 max

PSP

Advice on 40" HDTV, $1500 max
« on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:25 pm »
Our 6-year old Philips TV (CRT, 1080i) is failing, so I'm looking for a 40-42 inch screen, probably LED-LCD, for $1500 or less.  We watch everything (blu-ray, DVDs, sports, HDTV, etc.).  Room lighting can be adjusted from moderate to semi-dark.

Suggestions?  Stuff I should look for when I go shopping?

Many thanks,
Peter

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Advice on 40" HDTV, $1500 max
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:27 pm »
Samsung.  :eyebrows:

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:52 pm »
Samsung.  :eyebrows:

Agreed.  You could get a damn good TV for that price.  You could even step up in size, if you wanted.  I got a mid-line 46" Samsung about 18-months ago for around $1300.  Great TV.

Paul

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:57 pm »
Sony  KDL-46V5100 here was $1200 8 months ago, its 46", 120Hz, I love it every day!!! :thumb: :thumb:

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:57 pm »
Is there a reason it has to be 40-42"?  Do you have a cabinet that it has to fit in? 

I'm a plasma guy.  The LCDs are getting better... but they aren't there yet.  I'd take a plasma any day of the week and twice on Sunday over every single LCD on the market right now.

$1500 would get you a LOT of TV for the money.  I scooped up a 50" Panasonic plasma online for $650 a year ago.  It was cheaper than i could buy it from my distribution sources.  Heck, there are 60" LG 1080P models for a couple hundred over that...

Bigger is almost always better for viewing angle and immersion into the film being viewed.  How close are you sitting to the set?

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2010, 07:05 pm »
I have to agree with HTD. You've already said you have reasonable light control, so plasma is definitely an option. You can get a 42" S1 Panasonic for under $700 and a 46" for under $800. If larger is an option, the 58" S1 can be found for under $1500, as well. The top of the line 54" Panny V10 can also be found for under $1500.

I will be getting a new 54" or 58" pretty soon, to replace my dying 53" Pioneer. I'm just waiting to see the prices on the new 2010 models.

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2010, 07:20 pm »
  i have a plasma Hitachi and love it,but 700 for a nice Panasonic seems to be quite decent to say the least,and plasma looks better then lcd also.

Berto

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2010, 08:06 pm »
I second the V10 50" inch plasma. Awesome set!

mark funk

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2010, 09:06 pm »
I just got one for my wife at Sears. 42" plasma by Samsung for $599.

:smoke:

china

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2010, 09:26 pm »
Try NewEgg as they have some sales from time to time.....well under your $1,500 budget for a 42" television.

No affiliation with NewEgg......just a customer.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:17 am »
Samsung LED LCD TVs are pretty much the best there is these days. Stay away from plasma, it offers nothing over an LED LCD and plasma TVs are very noisy in quiet rooms, they buzz. At your budget, you can get a new Samsung 40" LED LCD TV with 3D capability. Since 3D is here to stay and all future 3D films will be release in 3D on Blu Ray, there's no reason not to have a 3D capable TV. Especially considering how inexpensive they are right now.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:21 am »
Samsung LED LCD TVs are pretty much the best there is these days. Stay away from plasma, it offers nothing over an LED LCD

Except a better picture.

Steve

NagysAudio

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:26 am »
That's very debatable, unless you are viewing your TV at an angle. Both TVs properly calibrated will be exceptionally good in picture quality. LED has it's strengths and so does plasma, but plasma is for sure not better taking everything into consideration. Plasma is also on its way out.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:29 am »
Samsung LED LCD TVs are pretty much the best there is these days. Stay away from plasma, it offers nothing over an LED LCD and plasma TVs are very noisy in quiet rooms, they buzz. At your budget, you can get a new Samsung 40" LED LCD TV with 3D capability. Since 3D is here to stay and all future 3D films will be release in 3D on Blu Ray, there's no reason not to have a 3D capable TV. Especially considering how inexpensive they are right now.

No issue with you preferring LED LCD over Plasma, but to say that Plasma tv's are noisy and buzz (unless you are right on top of it and the room is dead quiet) just isn't accurate.

3D is here to stay?  More than a little premature to make that statement.

Now back to the prevalent industry, critic, and AC opinion on Plasma vs. LED LCD...Plasma is still champion as long as you have some light control and aren't in a silly bright room.  While the newest LED LCD's (which you can't get for under $1500 at 40" or bigger) are very nice, they still don't top a well designed plasma.  You also have off axis issues with LED LCD's that you don't with Plasma.

George

srb

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:32 am »
It certainly is debatable.  Plasma is on it's way out due to the cost, difficulty to manufacture, thickness and weight.  Beyond the propensity to slightly buzz, and the unsuitability at high altitudes, it still looks better to me than current state of the art LED LCD.

When viewing still photos, it's very close, but due to the slower response time, LCD has the ability to make moving pictures look wierdly unnatural to me, as well as the ability to make movies that were shot with a film camera look like they were shot with a video camera.

I may reverse my opinion in another year or two.

Steve

NagysAudio

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:38 am »
Don't worry, 3D will be around, James Cameron will make sure of it. Plus who would object to watching great films like Avatar in 3D at their homes?

I've sold Pioneer Elite plasma TVs for years and I can personally guarantee you that they ALL buzz. Fluorescent light kind of buzzing sound. All current plasmas suffer from the same issues.

Plasmas have slightly better blacks, but with the new LED LCDs it's really no longer an issue. Basically plasmas are better than LCD is a myth. They were at one point, 5-7 years ago, but it doesn't apply anymore with the new LEDs.

Off axis is a non issues. If you're going to get a multi-thousand dollar home theater set up and watch your TV off axis, then what else can I tell you...

NagysAudio

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:42 am »
srb - I don't understand how a refresh rate on an LCD matters? The video effect is only if you turn on the stupid 120Hz, 240Hz smoothing filters. If those useless things are off and you're watching Blu Rays with proper output of 24 fps, then it's a non issue.

JeffB

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:46 am »
I have always heard people talk about how much better plasma tvs are, but I haven't really seen it.  I went this weekend to Best Buy specifically to analyze this.  I came away very disappointed with the experience.  Every TV has such different color, and sometimes brightness, noise, video content, etc.  And you never have a reference color to know which one is close.  Is there somewhere one can go where TVs are better calibrated on display?
As for the plasmas at Best Buy vs the LEDs or even LCDs, none of the plasmas were as bright, and none had as good of blacks, and all had more noise.  It did appear to me that the plasmas might have had a richer palette of colors.  In comparison the LED/LCDs seem to snap on more pure shades of color.  At first glance this makes the LED/LCD color jump out more, but I think it might not be as correct.  The plasmas also have reflective glass which I find annoying.
I had one thought with respect to the blacks.  This is most noticeable when the Best Buy logo appears, which is a yellow background with black text.  On the LCDs the black looked deep black and on the plasmas it was a very very light black, like the sky at dusk instead of at night.  Perhaps this is the dynamic contrast of the LCDs kicking in when there are essentially only two colors on the display.  I am not totally sure if this holds under normal movie watching.  The black level difference were massive differences.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:47 am »
Don't worry, 3D will be around, James Cameron will make sure of it. Plus who would object to watching great films like Avatar in 3D at their homes?

I've sold Pioneer Elite plasma TVs for years and I can personally guarantee you that they ALL buzz. Fluorescent light kind of buzzing sound. All current plasmas suffer from the same issues.

Plasmas have slightly better blacks, but with the new LED LCDs it's really no longer an issue. Basically plasmas are better than LCD is a myth. They were at one point, 5-7 years ago, but it doesn't apply anymore with the new LEDs.

Off axis is a non issues. If you're going to get a multi-thousand dollar home theater set up and watch your TV off axis, then what else can I tell you...

James Cameron will make sure of it?   :lol:

What percentage of films are made in 3D??  Just a couple of percent?  I don't think the public is going to jump to 3D.

While I agree that the newest LED LCD tv's black levels are approaching the best plasma, you aren't getting that at $1500.  It is going to cost much more.

As for off axis, I think that is still important.  In most living or great rooms, a good number of the seating locations are off axis.  Most people don't have the luxury of having a dedicated room for HT and having all their seats by on axis.  Those that do, generally sidestep this debate by going with a front projector.

George 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:49 am »
srb - I don't understand how a refresh rate on an LCD matters? The video effect is only if you turn on the stupid 120Hz, 240Hz smoothing filters. If those useless things are off and you're watching Blu Rays with proper output of 24 fps, then it's a non issue.

Not all viewing is done with Blue Ray. 

Motion blur can definitely be an issue on 720p or 1080i sporting events.

George