Ready for a hi-end Blu-Ray player, any suggestions?

JohnR

Re: Ready for a hi-end Blu-Ray player, any suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:13 pm »
I'll take it!!

But seriously, .. hm. Are you connected directly to power amps?

Phil A

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:19 pm »
If you mean "The BDP-95 used DC coupled output, and OPPO found a few rare but annoying compatibility issues with certain amplifiers. Some amplifier may have a DC offset on its input and that has caused issues from popping noises, "

I got that basic response from Oppo support about the 103. Basically, they blamed my amplification. I tried different amps, and also measured ZERO offset on their inputs. It's basically horsehit, and I would have thought it below Oppo to do that (shift the blame). Sorry, I'm just saying what it seems/ed like to me. Again, I love my 103, just not the analog circuits.

Davey

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:39 pm »
Yeah, that's the same HS I got from Oppo.  They blamed my preamp.  :)

6 millivolts would/should not cause an issue.  The offset on mine was 1.5 VDC while playing!  When paused or switching between tracks the DC disappears, but when you restart it appears again.  It's not a "hard" voltage and it can be bled somewhat by the input resistance of the following component.  That's why I mentioned some folks might not experience the issue.  This kind of thing can charge/discharge input coupling capacitors, cause issues in DC-coupled gear, etc, etc.

Regardless, they told me this amount of DC offset was normal for this player.  I said, "Are you sure about that?"  They said, "Yes, thank you for contacting Oppo Support."

Dave.

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:44 pm »
 :o

Well, I claim that 6mV IS an issue, if it switches on and off. It drove me nuts anyway.

1.5V?? OK that's a completely different kettle of fish...

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:45 pm »
I have not swapped 103D units between the two systems.  Each uses it with a preamp with HT Bypass.  The main system is different as it goes in single ended (RCA) and comes out of the preamp as balanced (perhaps the floating grounds?) and one has an issue and one doesn't (the main system preamp also is not on when it is used for movies as it reverts to HT Bypass so perhaps the amp sees it differently?).  It's on my agenda to try new (single ended) interconnects probably over the winter.  I live with the issue.  When I start a movie in the main system it is with the main (left and right channel) amp off.  I start the movie and pause it and turn the amp on (it goes through a 45 second check) and it is fine.  So I love the Oppo players as well but like anything else they are not perfect.  Eventually in the secondary system I'll get a 4k TV, new receiver (have an old Marantz 6003 in there now) and a new Oppo when the new players are out.  So probably just under a year from now.  At that point I'll likely try the other 103D in the main system just for kicks as I'll be rotating players anyway.

Davey

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:51 pm »
Regardless, if a person is going to use an external DAC, none of these audio idiosyncrasies make any difference.  But in that case, one wonders why it's necessary to spend $500 on a video player.  I use a cheap Panasonic DMP-BD player for my setup.  Terrific picture quality, networked, etc, etc.  It can't be much/any worse than the Oppo 103.

Dave.

johnvin01

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:12 pm »
+1 for an Oppo.  My 83 is still working great.

me too

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:14 pm »
Dave, you have a point. I have a functioning system that I like, and therefore no motivation to look into alternatives at present. But, I suspect it's unlikely that in future, the Oppo will be replaced with an Oppo. I do get the impression that these units are largely built from commodity chipsets now.

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:31 pm »
I've had other units in systems and do own a colorimeter and have the Spears and Munsil disc.  In the old house, in the basement system, I had a Sony 720 projector on an 88 inch Carada screen.  For a long while I mainly used the system for daytime football viewing.  Then I decided to swap out what I had used as a Blu-Ray source one day and replace it with the BDP-93 I had in the master bedroom system for a bit.  The old source was marginally not as good in the master bedroom system.  It was something that could be noticed but not a night and day difference (and I only watched a dozen movies a year in there).  However, I was shocked in the basement system.  It tested much better and I watched a few minutes of one DVD and that looked much better.  I met a friend for dinner and came back to watch 'Avatar' on Blu-Ray on the basement system and we were both in shock.  He thought I got a new projector.  So if your screen is big enough and good enough, there's likely to be more differences between good and so-so Blu-Ray players.  I wouldn't begin to generalize that all Blu-Ray players will be about as good on every system.

JohnR

« Reply #30 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:57 pm »
I wouldn't begin to generalize that all Blu-Ray players will be about as good on every system.

OK... you are the only person suggesting that ;) I object if that is your characterization of my comment about the chipsets ( :) )

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jul 2015, 05:22 pm »
Comment had nothing to do with your comment about chipsets.  Someone remarked about a cheapo player being as good as an Oppo.  Could very well be almost as good as I pointed out in one system but made a huge difference in another.  My comment was about generalizations.  I've head components sound good in one system and awful in another and have seen people make comments that the component sucked as in plain sucks vs. not a good match.

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: 1 Jul 2015, 05:29 pm »
Well, not somebody, Davey. And he did specifically said "Terrific picture quality", as an owner of the Panasonic, I didn't read that as generalizing that all cheap players are the same as all expensive players.

Anyway, I have the impressions that for videophiles, the objective tests are much more meaningful than for audiophiles. Would it be the case that objective tests correlate to subjective image quality for video? Or not... honest question here.

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jul 2015, 05:35 pm »
Well, not somebody, Davey. And he did specifically said "Terrific picture quality", as an owner of the Panasonic, I didn't read that as generalizing that all cheap players are the same as all expensive players.

Anyway, I have the impressions that for videophiles, the objective tests are much more meaningful than for audiophiles. Would it be the case that objective tests correlate to subjective image quality for video? Or not... honest question here.

The comment was "It can't be much/any worse than the Oppo 103."  As I noted I did not notice tons of difference when I swapped the BDP-93 out of a system with a cheapo but did notice tons of difference in the other system where the BDP-93 was moved to.  'Can't' is an absolute and I would respectifully disagree that in every system it 'can't' make a difference.

My Marantz DV9600 was about as good as an Oppo on DVD (of course the Marantz can't do Blu-Ray) is three systems I've had it in.  I'd still give a slight edge to the Oppo but certainly not something that would cause me to lose any sleep.

Davey

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2015, 02:49 pm »
Maybe you missed the part where I said "much/any"??  Good grief.  :)

Regardless, the OP asked about "hi-end" players.  I will stipulate that a cheap Panasonic player will not fit into that category (whatever that means in this context.)  Sorry for even mentioning it.

My goodness.

Dave.

Phil A

« Reply #35 on: 2 Jul 2015, 07:36 pm »
Maybe you missed the part where I said "much/any"??  Good grief.  :)

Regardless, the OP asked about "hi-end" players.  I will stipulate that a cheap Panasonic player will not fit into that category (whatever that means in this context.)  Sorry for even mentioning it.

My goodness.

Dave.

No need to be sorry.  I'm glad that the Panasonic works for you.  I wish that Oppo would do like they did with the old BDP-80 and forego some of the audio formats (e.g. SACD and DVD-A) and make a video only player as I except when I have get togethers of the Space Coast Audio Society at my place once or twice a year, that's the only time a disc (on the main system) other than a Blu-Ray gets played and most of them are plain old CDs.  They (Oppo) put a lot of features in their players and not everyone needs all those for video only.  It seems that many of the better Blu-Ray players from other manufacturers follow this lead.

While not really up-to-date - these guys had some nice in depth reviews of Blu-Ray players - http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews.html  including the BDP-103 and one of the Panasonics.

Eric M.

« Reply #36 on: 3 Jul 2015, 06:22 am »
I have a question for all of you:

If I'm using an external DAC (Yamaha CX-A5000), should I even be looking at the Oppo since both models have a built in DAC? Does anyone make a transport only Blu-Ray, DVD, CD, 3-D transport unit? It seems like I would be spending a lot of money on a DAC I would not be using. Or, is the transport section the costly part, the DAC not very expensive and Oppo offers a superior transport?

Thanks,

Eric M.

ACHiPo

« Reply #37 on: 3 Jul 2015, 07:20 am »
You could always get a PS3...

Eric M.

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jul 2015, 07:30 am »
You could always get a PS3...

Are you teasing me??!   :o

mrhyfy

« Reply #39 on: 3 Jul 2015, 01:24 pm »
Slightly off topic,,,  I'd love to see Oppo make something like the Bdp-105 WITHOUT the disc player,,  just a renderer with dac in one box.