The Popcorn Thread

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
The Popcorn Thread
« on: 2 Mar 2014, 08:33 pm »
What's more natural than eating popcorn while we watch movies, right?

So....what's your secret? Everything from nuked popcorn to "regular" popcorn. How about some fancy popcorn?
Are there any "popcorn-o-philes" out there? What do you get and where do you get it. How about fancy salts and flavorings?

In a pinch (when we're particularly lazy), we'll use microwave "Pop Secret" brand. Most of the time it's their standard flavor, but occasionally we find the "Movie Theater Butter Explosion" type in the store, but that's pretty greasy.

90% of the time we buy the bulk (no name) stuff in the store and pop it in a Presto brand popper (pictured below).
The unit works great and pops the vast majority of the kernels, but can be a little messy. If you use real butter in the upper chamber, it has to be brought down to room temp, because the unit doesn't get hot enough up there to melt butter that's fresh from the fridge. For a hungry family of four, the unit produces just the right amount of popcorn.

As far as flavorings are concerned, we use a powdered white cheddar cheese from a shaker (Kernals Season's brand), and a salt called 'Salt-o-Riffic' (Jolly Time brand).

Ok...that's our secret. How 'bout you?

soundbitten1

Re: The Popcorn Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2014, 08:43 pm »
We use non-GMO organic popcorn bought in bulk. Pop it in a microwave popper, melt the butter separately in the microwave, mix and salt. Simple and good.

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2014, 08:53 pm »
My version of movie style popcorn. Flavacol popcorn salt and coconut oil to cook in. This is what movie theaters use. There is no substitute for the real thing. The yellow color comes from beta-carotene.
http://www.amazon.com/Flavacol-Gourmet-Flavoring-Gold-Medal/dp/B005OTXEVE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1393792889&sr=8-12&keywords=popcorn+salt
http://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn-Gallon-Colored-Coconut/dp/B003C4UDEY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1393793192&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=coconut+oilfor+popcornn
Scotty

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2014, 09:38 pm »
Coconut oil + popcorn. Enjoy. Simple, easy, healthy.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:04 pm »
Olive Oil (put the salt in the oil for even distribution) and a WhirlyPop.

I paid $49 for mine so THIS is a BARGAIN

I might add that I tend to prefer the WHITE CORN over the YELLOW CORN  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2014, 03:26 pm by John Casler »

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:14 pm »
1. Popcorn in a bag. 
2. A large skillet with lid
3. 1/4 cup of oil and bacon fat (tbsp of fat added to the oil for 1/4 cup)
4. heaping 1/3 cup of kernels added to the 1/4 cup of fat/oil in the skillet.
5. high heat until popping almost stops while moving the pan to keep the popped kernels from scorching.

Salt to taste.

The bacon flavor blows away the taste of butter on popcorn!!!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:16 pm »
Also use non-GMO organic popcorn purchased in bulk. We pop it in an electric air popper and sprinkle with Ohsawa brand Nana Shoyu. No oil at all.

mhconley

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:38 pm »
I use a Whirly-Pop, too.  Ours is about ten years old.  Be careful though, they can scratch glass cooktops; they're best on a gas burner.

We use Orville Redenbacher's and corn oil and top with real melted butter and popcorn salt.

Martin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:59 pm »
I love popcorn and on occasion will even make a meal out it.
It's tasty, convenient and flows right on through. I  use to pop
Orville Redenbacher in a blower and then a stove top popper with
a stirring rod. Now I pop the buttery version of Orville in the microwave
and sprinkle enjevita yeast on top. Quick and easy. Come to think of it, that's
what I had for breakfast this morning. Seriously, popcorn and a bottle of this...  :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2014, 11:10 pm »
Might add, that there is actually a "shortage" of PopCorn according to many stores out here (CA) and it can be hard to find.
“In my estimation, last year we had up to 50% reduction in both the U.S. and Argentina (the world’s top popcorn exporter) in consecutive crops, leading to a worldwide popcorn shortage that in turn resulted in high prices.”

POPCORN SHORTAGE

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2014, 11:13 pm »
Breakfast of champions.   :lol:  Does the peach ale count as a serving of fruit?

I love popcorn and on occasion will even make a meal out it.
It's tasty, convenient and flows right on through. I  use to pop
Orville Redenbacher in a blower and then a stove top popper with
a stirring rod. Now I pop the buttery version of Orville in the microwave
and sprinkle enjevita yeast on top. Quick and easy. Come to think of it, that's
what I had for breakfast this morning. Seriously, popcorn and a bottle of this...  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2014, 12:16 am »
Does the peach ale count as a serving of fruit?

Absolutely. Fruit is a very important part of my balanced diet.

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:08 am »
I'd love to get suggestions for where y'all get your popcorn in bulk. I get a huge thing of Orville from Costco.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:08 am »
Orville Redenbacher original, old hot air popper, real butter nuked in the microwave, Kosher salt. Delicious.

Haven't found anything better. Have a Whirley-Gig. It's a good change of pace if you want oil coated popcorn. I absolutely HATE Microwave popcorn.

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:13 am »
As for my preparation technique, I use olive oil and cook it on the stovetop. (Konut, I keep hearing that coconut oil is very healthy; I will try that next).

Two favorite toppings:

1) Braggs Amino Acids (liquid in a spray bottle) and nutritional yeast (Both available in most health food stores)

2) Truffle salt (can be ordered online from The Spice House). This stuff has an incredible flavor and it best on very simple, bland food. Popcorn and fried eggs are my two favorite foods for it, they really let the flavor shine.

And on the rare occasions that I use butter, I often also add a little squirt of anchovy paste.

Thank goodness for popcorn, saves me from eating potato chips and other snacks that are way less healthy.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2014, 05:09 am »
As for my preparation technique, I use olive oil and cook it on the stovetop. (Konut, I keep hearing that coconut oil is very healthy; I will try that next).

Two favorite toppings:

1) Braggs Amino Acids (liquid in a spray bottle) and nutritional yeast (Both available in most health food stores)

2) Truffle salt (can be ordered online from The Spice House). This stuff has an incredible flavor and it best on very simple, bland food. Popcorn and fried eggs are my two favorite foods for it, they really let the flavor shine.

And on the rare occasions that I use butter, I often also add a little squirt of anchovy paste.

Thank goodness for popcorn, saves me from eating potato chips and other snacks that are way less healthy.

Ha, Braggs Amino's and Truffle Salt ... two of our favorite things to keep in the pantry.  I use the Braggs and Olive Oil for dressing on all my salads. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2014, 06:35 am »
Speaking of Bragg's and salad... combine 2tbsp of Bragg Liquid Soy Seasoning with two lemons (juiced) and 50ml of agave syrup. Stir well and then pour on a salad. Add cashews that have been smashed to smithereens in a food processor. Yummy.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2014, 10:58 am »
Olive Oil (put the salt in the oil for even distribution) and a WhirlyPop.
I paid $49 for mine so THIS is a BARGAIN

While $19.99 is a discounted price over the retail $24.99 price, I'm guessing that your unit is the stainless steel model ($44.99 retail).  While I have some aluminum pans that are clad on the inside with stainless steel, I would avoid cooking anything in raw aluminum and would be glad to pay the premium for the stainless steel model.

Steve

BTW, inserting too large of a photo requires most people (except for those using very high resolution screens) to have to horizontally scroll back and forth to read each post.

BobM

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:54 pm »
We are done with microwave popcorn. Reddinbacher sucks.

Whirlypop
real butter and salt in the bottom while popping
more salt on top after distributing into bowls
occasionally we will sprinkle a powdered cheese seasoning on top, one we also use for salads from time to time

Ryan45872

« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:23 pm »
I use Tiny But Mighty Heirloom Popcorn ~ virtually hulless Non-GMO popping corn . Use a stir crazy with extra virgin olive oil.Sprinkle with garlic/pepper and use REAL butter. Love it!! A plus is that I don't get those nasty hulls between the teeth and in my gums I have to dig out.