Phonograph needle slow-motion microscopy

richidoo

Phonograph needle slow-motion microscopy
« on: 22 Mar 2024, 04:00 pm »
This video is 6 years old, but I had never seen it before today, and AC search does not find the youtube link, so if you haven't seen this yet, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYE67fVny4c

I have seen the other, "electron microscope" video, but imo it's not as impressive as above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCdsyCWmt8

Medialink

Re: Phonograph needle slow-motion microscopy
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2024, 09:49 pm »
this dude needs to get out more.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2024, 08:06 am »
Nice videos Rich thanks for posting.

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2024, 12:18 pm »
I’m not one, but I am thankful for lab rats who produce this kind of stuff.  It is fascinating, especially considering vinyl evolution over time.  I remember my parents steel needle 78 player.
It’s amazing to consider the differences between vinyl and digital reproduction, especially the relative consistency.  I don’t understand everything that goes into vinyl reproduction but, unlike digital, the many different mechanical and electrical contributors that have to come together to make vinyl work are easier to imagine.  For the most part digital is still black box magic but it seems as though reproduction would be much more consistent.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2024, 02:23 pm »
I'm wondering if he cleaned those records. After seeing how quickly the gunk appeared on his stylus, I'm hoping not.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2024, 05:22 pm »
I'm wondering if he cleaned those records. After seeing how quickly the gunk appeared on his stylus, I'm hoping not.
I also wondered about the amount of debris on the surface.  Also, I wonder why the stylus kept jumping grooves??
REgardless, interesting for those of us spinning vinyl.