Can a bad pressing throw off balance?

JohnR

Can a bad pressing throw off balance?
« on: 19 Feb 2024, 08:21 am »
So I bought a brand new reissue. To my surprise this seems to be as much of a minefield as buying used...

The sound is distinctly biased to the right. I can adjust the balance, but not conveniently. It seems to be about 2dB (to bring it back to center).

So my question to the experts is: can this be caused by a bad pressing somehow? I'm struggling to think how. Or must it be the way the (re)mastering was done.

It's War of the Worlds btw.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Can a bad pressing throw off balance?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2024, 12:23 pm »
I've had pops and clicks on reissues, I've had virtually unplayable tracks on reissues with 30db of noise, I've had badly warped reissues, but never a channel imbalance, at least not above those other problems.  Regardless, ask the seller for a replacement.  Hopefully it won't be duplicated.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2024, 02:42 pm »
Have you tried other records you own, to eliminate your record player from the equation? If all your other records are doing the same thing, you know it's the record.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2024, 03:16 pm »
Hey!

Good advice above. If this happen to all LP than it is your playback system.

Yes, there are some albums that seem to be leaning more to the left or the right but most of the time it is very slight. By the way, some carts especially less expensive one have channel balance of 2dB... this could also added to the total effect.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2024, 04:17 pm »
  Sometimes the recording is out of phase. If you have a polarity switch try it.

charles

qdrone

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2024, 05:47 pm »
Sometimes the  recording engineer screws up.  :popcorn:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2024, 06:53 pm »
Sometimes the  recording engineer screws up.  :popcorn:

That about sums it up.

charles