XLS-Encore...MTM version??

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
XLS-Encore...MTM version??
« on: 22 Mar 2015, 06:28 pm »
Has anyone heard of an MTM XLS-Encore? [I know there is an MTM for the XLS-Classic.]

I also know about the N3S MTM. Is there any point to building an MTM Encore, or does one opt for the N3S instead?

While we're at it, how would Encore MTM speakers (assuming they exist) compare to N3S MTM speakers?

My grateful thanks to anyone who responds.

Michael

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: XLS-Encore...MTM version??
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2015, 07:26 pm »
Michael,

The MTM X-LS Encore that is similar to the N3S MTM is the X-CS Encore. Like the N3S, the X-CS Encore is intended to be a center channel but can be used as both main and center in a three speaker left/center/right combination.

Here is an X-CS Encore:

There is also a floor standing MTM version of the X-LS Encore called the X-MTM Encore. This model would compare with the N3TL. Here ia a pair of X-MTM Encores:

I have built and listened to X-LS Encores, an X-CS Encore, and a pair of X-MTM Encores. I have also built and listened to a pair of N1X's and N3TL's.  The N1X compares to the X-LS Encore and the N3TL's to the X-MTM Encore.  So far I have not built an N3S for a direct comparison to the X-CS Encore but I believe the results would be similar to the N1X/X-LS Encore and N3TL/X-MTM Encore comparisons.

It is important to note that I built the Encore crossovers the same as I did the N3 crossovers i.e. point to point wired with Erse XQ inductors, Sonicaps, Mills resistors and Sonicap bypass caps. The only difference is that I used Platinum by-pass caps in the N3TL's and Gen II by-pass caps in all the rest. This gives the N3TL's a distinct advantage over the X-MTM Encores.

In my experience with these speakers, when the crossover networks have the same level of components, it is next to impossible for me to say one is better than the other. There are differences between the X-Encore and N3 series for sure but choosing which one is better is going to come down to personal preferences and/or type of music.  To my hearing, the N3's are a little cleaner and more detailed while the Encores are a little smoother and more luscious sounding. 

Mike

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2015, 11:39 pm »
Mike,

Thank you.

Now that you mention the name X-CS Encore, I realize I must have read about them in a thread before. I'm pretty certain there's no mention on the GR Research website. (Not giving Danny a hard time about it. He's pretty busy.)

You mention using Platinum by-pass caps in the N3TL crossovers. I imagine these platinum caps could be used in the X-CS Encore crossovers as well, yes? Which part of the upgrade cleans up the tweeter?

My son's monitors are AV123 (probably originally intended to be the surround speakers). I picked them up for a song last Fall. They sound decent except they are a bit bright. I don't suppose they have the same tweeters as the Encores....I'll have to sleuth a bit.

Michael

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2015, 12:45 am »
Michael,

You are correct, the X-CS Encores are not listed on the website (only the X-CS Classic is) however, they are discussed in this sticky thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.0  .

The platinum by-pass caps can be used on any of the Encore models, though you probably would not want to use them with the stock boards.  The stock boards come with a Gen II by-pass cap in the tweeter circuit.  I think most folks only by-pass the caps in the tweeter circuit but I prefer to by-pass all the caps in both the woofer and tweeter circuits.

I really like the sound of the platinum's and have used them on all the caps in both my N3TL's and my LGK Weddgies.  However, due to the cost difference, I used Gen II by-pass caps in all the Encores I have built.  The Gen II's sound really good and are a fraction of the cost of the platinum's. As a matter of fact, if you by-passed all the caps on an X-CS Encore with platinum's you would spend as much on the by-pass caps as you did on the whole kit. That being said, if I were building a pair for myself I would use platinum's.

The X-MTM Encores I just built for my nephew and his wife use Gen II by-pass caps in both woofer and tweeter circuits on an upgraded and point-to-point wired crossover network like I mentioned earlier and sound awesome.

To top things off, you could set a pair of the X-CS Encores on top of a pair of Danny's ultimate speaker stands and have it all.

Mike

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2015, 01:35 am »
"To top things off, you could set a pair of the X-CS Encores on top of a pair of Danny's ultimate speaker stands and have it all."

Oh, I know. I only just rediscovered the ultimate speaker stands' existence a couple days ago (which you may have noticed  :wink: ). They do fill a need of mine.

Upgrading of crossovers has gotten me intensely curious about how much improvement might be realized in any speaker. That, and how much improvement will my ears hear? After my weekend with Harbeth 30.1s, I realized my ProAc Response D2s are not quite as amazing sounding as I had imagined. This has driven me to decide to sell my D2s and replace them with......something....but what? There are so many choices out there. I'm very tempted to try very upgraded Encores (TM or MTM). I am equally tempted to try a few other monitors using other drivers. But Wait....what if I upgraded the crossovers in the D2s?....and so these thoughts swirl round inside my head...What if I bought monitors with Scan Speak drivers matched to upgraded crossovers?.....more thoughts swirling.... :scratch: Or do I wait, build up my money supply and splurge on much more expensive speakers? Unfortunately, I have lots of questions, but few answers.

I wish I had a lot more money to throw at speakers to discover exactly which pair of speakers best fit my needs and wants. Gee, I'll bet everyone thinks this.  :lol: If I weren't so bald, I'd probably be pulling my hair out now.

Thanks for 'hearing' my confession.  :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2015, 04:14 pm »
The X-CS Encore used as monitors are excellent speakers for the money.  I lived with a pair (with full Sonicap upgrades) for a couple of years.  That said the N-Series have a more refined midrange and top end due to the superior tweeter being used.  I could live with both easily but the smoothness and fatigue-free sound of the N-series is particularly seductive. 

bdp24

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2015, 09:26 pm »
"To top things off, you could set a pair of the X-CS Encores on top of a pair of Danny's ultimate speaker stands and have it all."

Oh, I know. I only just rediscovered the ultimate speaker stands' existence a couple days ago (which you may have noticed  :wink: ). They do fill a need of mine.

Upgrading of crossovers has gotten me intensely curious about how much improvement might be realized in any speaker. That, and how much improvement will my ears hear? After my weekend with Harbeth 30.1s, I realized my ProAc Response D2s are not quite as amazing sounding as I had imagined. This has driven me to decide to sell my D2s and replace them with......something....but what? There are so many choices out there. I'm very tempted to try very upgraded Encores (TM or MTM). I am equally tempted to try a few other monitors using other drivers. But Wait....what if I upgraded the crossovers in the D2s?....and so these thoughts swirl round inside my head...What if I bought monitors with Scan Speak drivers matched to upgraded crossovers?.....more thoughts swirling.... :scratch: Or do I wait, build up my money supply and splurge on much more expensive speakers? Unfortunately, I have lots of questions, but few answers.

I wish I had a lot more money to throw at speakers to discover exactly which pair of speakers best fit my needs and wants. Gee, I'll bet everyone thinks this.  :lol: If I weren't so bald, I'd probably be pulling my hair out now.

Ah yes Michael, you find yourself on the slippery slope of Audiophileland! It's a lifelong addiction for which there is apparently no cure (I developed the habit at 18, and will turn 65 in a few months. I don't WANT to kick!). I just saw a YouTube video about an Audiophile Club in Greece. Man, those guys got it bad! Still, it's better than blowing all your dough on, say, Scientology.

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2015, 09:55 pm »
 :rotflmao:

Yeah. I've got the addiction bad. These speakers aren't even for my main system.

I'm in a candy store. The sign reads, "You really ought to limit yourself to two, but what the hell, go for it all!" Wrong sign for an addict.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2015, 10:05 pm »

Michael,

You might want to ask Danny about your current speakers. He may have already designed an upgraded crossover for that model. If not, you could send him your speakers and he could analyze them and design a new crossover. Whether that would be cost effective I have no idea. Can't hurt to ask though.

Mike

brother love

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2015, 10:11 pm »
Ah yes Michael, you find yourself on the slippery slope of Audiophileland! It's a lifelong addiction for which there is apparently no cure (I developed the habit at 18, and will turn 65 in a few months. I don't WANT to kick!).

Right behind you. Also started at 18 & turn 61 in a few months ...

I just saw a YouTube video about an Audiophile Club in Greece. Man, those guys got it bad! Still, it's better than blowing all your dough on, say, Scientology.

:thumb:

I have owned the X-LS Encores with upgraded crossovers & no-rez, the GR Research N2x & N3 transmission lines (both with no-rez incl. bypass capacitors).  All three are excellent speakers by Danny, but I kept the N3's & have had them in my main system for several years now. The B & G planar Neo3 pdr is incredibly good (even off-axis) & the -3 dB to 40 Hz with 90.5 dB sensitivity for the N3 TL's make it a keeper for me.

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2015, 03:14 pm »
"You might want to ask Danny about your current speakers. He may have already designed an upgraded crossover for that model. If not, you could send him your speakers and he could analyze them and design a new crossover. Whether that would be cost effective I have no idea. Can't hurt to ask though.
Mike
"

With so much information at my fingertips here on the internet, remembering some things (like Danny's ability to upgrade crossovers) gets pushed out of my fore-memory. I did take a look at the Proac D2's crossover last week. I was shocked at how tiny the caps and inductors were. Certainly, upgrading the crossover is an option, but I'm more inclined to look for really high quality drivers as a starting point and add an excellent quality XO. (Gads. I'm becoming a purist!)

"I have owned the X-LS Encores with upgraded crossovers & no-rez, the GR Research N2x & N3 transmission lines (both with no-rez incl. bypass capacitors).  All three are excellent speakers by Danny, but I kept the N3's & have had them in my main system for several years now. The B & G planar Neo3 pdr is incredibly good (even off-axis) & the -3 dB to 40 Hz with 90.5 dB sensitivity for the N3 TL's make it a keeper for me."

Hi, Brother love.

I'm going to pay Captainhemo a visit in approximately 5 weeks. He's got XLS-Encores and OB7s, and his father has the N3TL (all three pairs have upgraded XOs). They have graciously offered to let me hear their speakers. I'm really looking forward to this!  :thumb:

I love gettin' ejakated.