Gran Turismo 5...the best driving sim yet!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Gran Turismo 5...the best driving sim yet!!
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:27 pm »
Maxcast--SWEET!!!! The PS3 can do everything for real....I use it for: Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, Blu-Ray, DVD-A, CD, you'll love it!!!! They have an option in the menu's which you'll find to use multiple audio outputs, so you can use the HDMI output for audio along with the toslink output. What I do is take the toslink output to my DAC and the HDMI to my AV receiver and when I watch Concert Blu-Rays and even movies I play them back through my 2 channel rig by way of the DAC, for movies I use the DAC and HDMI fills in the center and rear surrounds while the DAC plays back the front Left and Right. Technically for movies your getting 5.1 or 7.1 through the HDMI and 2 Channel PCM through the toslink but I use it exclusively that way and it great. I have a tube DAC so I get that tube sound on movies and concerts....very cool stuff, lots of options.  Enjoy!!!!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:39 am »
Ditto on the Netflix. That's just about the coolest thing in the world.
Screw going to Blockbuster....Just sit back in your chair and pick a movie. That's unbeatable.

As far as Blu-ray, I currently watching the Chris Botti - "In Boston" disc. Simply amazing.
In about an hour, I'll be removing Chris for the GT5 disc. Such a versatile machine, for so little....

Seems there's a few more gamers here now than I recall a year ago.
Maybe we should bump the "PlayStation Online Gamer ID" thread?
Didn't seem to go over very well last time I brought it up.  :peek:

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:54 am »
My cables should be here tomorrow. After I run it and figure on line out I'll be ready.
We're playing nfs right now and I gotta say it's pretty impressive too.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:58 am »
Maxcast--SWEET!!!! The PS3 can do everything for real....I use it for: Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, Blu-Ray, DVD-A, CD, you'll love it!!!!

A Sony machine playing DVD-Audio??  I've never heard that; are you sure it plays DVD-Audio (and not just the DTS or DVD-Video portion of the disc that every DVD player can play)?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:09 am »
A Sony machine playing DVD-Audio??  I've never heard that; are you sure it plays DVD-Audio (and not just the DTS or DVD-Video portion of the disc that every DVD player can play)?
Works for me....Unless I've been fooled into thinking I'm watching something "else"..... :dunno:
The "Blue Man Group"  DVD-A "AUDIO" sounds pretty darn good to me.

How would we (I) know?

Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:52 am »
Works for me....Unless I've been fooled into thinking I'm watching something "else"..... :dunno:
The "Blue Man Group"  DVD-A "AUDIO" sounds pretty darn good to me.

How would we (I) know?

Bob

What does your processor read out?  The Blue Man Group "Audio" DVD had Dolby Digital on the DVD-V side (playable on any DVD player), and the much higher rez DVD-Audio on the DVD-Audio side.  I'm betting $$ that you are listening to the DVD-V side cuz Sony does not support its rival.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:23 am »
On a bunch a Porcupine Tree CD's I have they included a DVD-A disk and it plays fine. Its specifically labeled DVD-A and I remember making note that it in fact worked. It wouldn't playback correct if the PS3 couldn't process it right? I'll try some tomorrow and see what my AV Receiver says when it plays.

tesseract

« Reply #27 on: 29 Dec 2010, 09:58 am »
Maxcast--SWEET!!!! The PS3 can do everything for real....I use it for: Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, Blu-Ray, DVD-A, CD, you'll love it!!!! They have an option in the menu's which you'll find to use multiple audio outputs, so you can use the HDMI output for audio along with the toslink output. What I do is take the toslink output to my DAC and the HDMI to my AV receiver and when I watch Concert Blu-Rays and even movies I play them back through my 2 channel rig by way of the DAC, for movies I use the DAC and HDMI fills in the center and rear surrounds while the DAC plays back the front Left and Right. Technically for movies your getting 5.1 or 7.1 through the HDMI and 2 Channel PCM through the toslink but I use it exclusively that way and it great. I have a tube DAC so I get that tube sound on movies and concerts....very cool stuff, lots of options.  Enjoy!!!!!

You've convinced me. I was just going to buy an internet connectible Blu-Ray player with my Christmas dough, but now I am going to throw a bit of my paycheck in with it and get a PS3. Additional room treatments just got put on the back burner.

Gran Turismo is one of the greatest sims of all. I have owned several of the cars listed in the older versions and play them on my PS2. It feels fantastic to be able to "drive" one of my old cars again.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:05 pm »
What does your processor read out?  The Blue Man Group "Audio" DVD had Dolby Digital on the DVD-V side (playable on any DVD player), and the much higher rez DVD-Audio on the DVD-Audio side.  I'm betting $$ that you are listening to the DVD-V side cuz Sony does not support its rival.
Can't recall. But next time I fire things up, I'll stick it in there and see what it says. Both sides do play, but what the AVR shows is unknown to me.
Thanks Ted.  :D

Here's a funny story:
Played GT5 online for the first time last night. I had no idea what I was doing, so I brought the (bone stock) 199_ Mazda Miata with me. It's the one I bought as my "trainer" to start my career with. Some of my gaming buddies saw me online (for the first time) and jumped on the track with me. We chatted for a minute before I saw what cars they had brought with them. So I'm traveling along at the Miatas top speed down the straightaway of Daytona, right.....  :wink:
They blew by at 250MPH in some million dollars cars I'd never seen before.

ZZZZOOoooooommmmmm................  :o   :lol:

The good buddies that they are, then told me where the good cars are kept.  :thumb:
Man that was fun.

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #29 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:11 pm »
tesseract, that was my thinking.  I was going to get the cheapest oppo player but thought hey, why not get the ps3 and get a kick ass game player for free.  In fact, wally world had a $100 gift card when you buy a 160gb ps3 for $300.  That bought the extra controller and GT5.
Yesterday we saw on GT5 one of my favorite cars of my youth, a Buick Grand National.  Not sure if it was the GNX (which I sat in one in college) model.  Hope to drive that sometime.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:46 pm »
tesseract- I'm sure the oppo's are nice especially if you can swing the SE version. The thing I keep seeing is the PS3 is as good at blu-ray playback. So my inner geek/gamer sprang into action. I take it with me to see my boys who love Little Big Planet we can stream Netflix or Vudu wherever I take it. Lots of options for $300. Enjoy!!!!!!!

ooheadsoo

« Reply #31 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:14 pm »
Can't recall. But next time I fire things up, I'll stick it in there and see what it says. Both sides do play, but what the AVR shows is unknown to me.
Thanks Ted.  :D

Here's a funny story:
Played GT5 online for the first time last night. I had no idea what I was doing, so I brought the (bone stock) 199_ Mazda Miata with me. It's the one I bought as my "trainer" to start my career with. Some of my gaming buddies saw me online (for the first time) and jumped on the track with me. We chatted for a minute before I saw what cars they had brought with them. So I'm traveling along at the Miatas top speed down the straightaway of Daytona, right.....  :wink:
They blew by at 250MPH in some million dollars cars I'd never seen before.

ZZZZOOoooooommmmmm................  :o   :lol:

The good buddies that they are, then told me where the good cars are kept.  :thumb:
Man that was fun.

Bob

I find more enjoyment, myself, in driving regular cars I could buy if I wanted to.  I'll never buy or even rent an exotic, and I'll never know if the handling is realistic.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 29 Dec 2010, 10:43 pm »
Agreed. I've done the same over the years.
But when your buddies are handing you your ass.....that's a different story.  :lol:

Bob

Woodsea

« Reply #33 on: 30 Dec 2010, 01:26 am »
The PS3 nor any Sony product can or would play DVD-A.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 30 Dec 2010, 01:44 am »
The PS3 nor any Sony product can or would play DVD-A.
:scratch: As I type, I'm watching the side of Blue Man Group "Audio" that's labeled "DVD Video" on my PS3.
Many times I've watched the other side for it's multichannel content. That side is labeled "DVD Audio". It has great multichannel content.

Am I missing something?

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:17 am »
Forgot about this experiment---OK
 As I type I have Porcupine Tree --Disk 2 of Lightbulb Sun which is labeled DVDA, its mentioned in the liner notes as DVDA
I'm hearing it, sounds awesome!!!!! :thumb:
edit...I just went through the menu and picked the specific songs labeled as DVD-A and they play fine. Maybe Sony did a little firmware wizardry!!!!

Kinger

« Reply #36 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:55 am »
Maybe this thread will shed some light on what Woodsea is saying.........

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170406

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 30 Dec 2010, 03:24 am »
Maybe this thread will shed some light on what Woodsea is saying.........

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170406

:) yeah, what, er, Woodsea is saying....  :)

As I stated earlier, the DVD-A sound you are hearing from PT songs on a PS3 is the DTS or other lossy (Dolby Digital) tracks embedded in many DVD-Audio discs...almost like hybrid SACD's.  Sony is not a DVD-Audio supporter as Pepsi is not a Coke supporter.  If you find a DVD-Audio player you will be blown away by the difference (hirez vs lossy).  Don;t get me wrong, the PS3 is one hell of a blu ray player/amazing game machine, and the first ones even played SACD (DSD and 24/176k PCM...great for an Atlona box).   Anyway...back to the thread...sorry for the hijack (can I blame that on woodsea) :)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 30 Dec 2010, 03:28 am »
So we got duped!!! Well at least it plays some layer so its not a wasted disk....oh well....

Kinger

« Reply #39 on: 30 Dec 2010, 03:34 am »
Sorry ted_b.  In my rush I didn't look far enough up in the thread to see who had first mentioned DVD Audio was not possible on the PS3.