Wanted: Livingston Taylor Ink in DVD 24-96

Ric Schultz

Wanted: Livingston Taylor Ink in DVD 24-96
« on: 30 Apr 2017, 12:04 am »
Love this album but only have it on CD.  Would love the DVD in 24/96.  Must be able to play on US DVD players (zone 1).  It is available as a 24/96 download from HD tracks but I don't have a way to play music that way right now.  Still using transport into DAC.

Phil A

Re: Wanted: Livingston Taylor Ink in DVD 24-96
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2017, 12:19 am »
They do come up on some sites - e.g. - https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=282430786664&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps   I'm pretty sure I own it.  I only do file playback (unless someone brings a disc over) so I have not looked through my discs in some time.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2017, 01:20 am »
Thanks for the link.  I searched the other day and all I came up with is a german one (zone 2).  Do you want to sell yours?  How about $40 including shipping.

billmcc

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2017, 08:36 pm »
I have seen listings for the Livingston Taylor Ink SACD from Chesky and it shows it is stereo and multichannel. What's a bit confusing is the Ink DVD "Super Audio Disc". I can't seem to find much info on it or if it's stereo only or has a multichannel mix. Is it just a DVD or is it a DVD-A? Thanks :)!

Bill

Ric Schultz

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2017, 08:41 pm »
I "believe" the DVD version is stereo and I am sure it is 24/96 as it shows on the cover.  I also "believe" it is a regular DVD.....not a DVD-A.  Classic Records was the first to put out 24/96 material on DVDs and they were called DADs (digital audio discs).  Later they made two sided versions called HDADs that had 24/96 on one side and 24/192 on the other.

billmcc

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2017, 08:49 pm »
I "believe" the DVD version is stereo and I am sure it is 24/96 as it shows on the cover.  I also "believe" it is a regular DVD.....not a DVD-A.  Classic Records was the first to put out 24/96 material on DVDs and they were called DADs (digital audio discs).  Later they made two sided versions called HDADs that had 24/96 on one side and 24/192 on the other.
Ric,

Thanks for that info! I have a number of Classic Records DADs and HDADs. They sound great!

Would it matter as far as zones if it's an audio only DVD?

Bill

Ric Schultz

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2017, 09:28 pm »
Yes, the DVD must be zone 1 or it will not play in the US.....unless you have the goodie installed in your player to make it zone free.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2017, 12:48 am »
I bought the one Phil linked to.  I offered $40 and he accepted.  Probably ship tomorrow.  This will be fun to hear how much better (hopefully) the high rez version is.  Really enjoying the CD and it just keeps getting mo betta as I tweak my DAC more.  Already sounding like high rez.  What I expect is more of the hall (church) sound and more transparency and dynamics.....we shall see.  Of course, I have to sand the edges, black the edges, black the entire top, put George Louis's enhancer on (same as CD)......got to keep everything the same.

What is always for sure is that everything sounds different.  Well, got the disc and fully treated it and it is no better than the CD.  Why?  Who knows?  So many things can change digital sound even in the duplicating process.  I am going to try and make a DVD on my computer of some live music of myself recorded at 24/96.  If that works and plays on my Oppo then I will download two songs from HD tracks of this album at 24/96 and burn them to a treated DVD and check that out.  For sure.....it will be different.  What I want is better.  Digital is so unpredictable as the signal path is long and every tiny thing you do to it will change (wreck) the sound.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2017, 08:38 pm by Ric Schultz »

Ric Schultz

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2017, 08:39 pm »
Please see todays edit above.....interesting