Lets see your O.B. speakers....!

gils

Re: Lets see your O.B. speakers....!
« Reply #420 on: 20 Jul 2019, 04:29 pm »
 :D

My open baffle 18" and compression + infraflex

works normaly 20Hz at 20 khz (ECM 8000) but the capture audio works 30 hz at 20 Khz ( 2 x C2)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-f0dYvv0p-fVBprcVet_jMSsq5SK2JzM/view?usp=sharing

enjoy :)

fsdaron

« Reply #421 on: 24 Jul 2019, 12:37 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #422 on: 24 Jul 2019, 02:29 am »

Nice, interesting FR, it is a Zenith 49CZ852?

Bemopti123

« Reply #423 on: 24 Jul 2019, 02:51 am »

Can you provide us with driver specifications and your sonic impressions with this setup?  I also have a pair of zeniths that I am looking forward playing with.

fsdaron

« Reply #424 on: 24 Jul 2019, 11:01 am »
Zenith 49CZ903 and Beston RT002A Ribbon Tweeter crossed over with a 1.33uf capacitor.
The sound is a big wide and deep sound stage. Best speakers I've owned. I''m not good at describing the sound but it sounds great to me. Just added the tweeter this week. I'm  79 years old. I wear hearing aids.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #425 on: 24 Jul 2019, 02:22 pm »
I came across these recently and thought this group would enjoy.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1561942815/0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #426 on: 24 Jul 2019, 07:38 pm »
Zenith 49CZ903 and Beston RT002A Ribbon Tweeter crossed over with a 1.33uf capacitor.
The sound is a big wide and deep sound stage. Best speakers I've owned. I''m not good at describing the sound but it sounds great to me. Just added the tweeter this week. I'm  79 years old. I wear hearing aids.
Thanks for inform :thumb: There any sub?
I ask why there is two black boxes on the walls.

fsdaron

« Reply #427 on: 24 Jul 2019, 10:14 pm »
Yes 2 subs, but I enjoy the bass better without the subs. The 49CZ903 has enough for me. Seriously.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #428 on: 25 Jul 2019, 12:42 am »
Yes 2 subs, but I enjoy the bass better without the subs. The 49CZ903 has enough for me. Seriously.
I though it was the 49CZ852, I dont know your driver.
Do you know the 49CZ852?
Do you could campare both?
It is a 12 inches?
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2019, 02:01 am by FullRangeMan »

Bumpy

« Reply #429 on: 25 Jul 2019, 10:25 am »

I would go along with this. For open baffles, no bass is better than bad bass. And in this I would include attempts to integrate most boxes with open baffle drivers.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2019, 11:30 am by Bumpy »

fsdaron

« Reply #430 on: 27 Jul 2019, 12:41 pm »
The 49CZ903 is a 12" driver. Never heard the 49CZ852. Glow in the Dark website recommended the 903 in addition to the 852.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #431 on: 27 Jul 2019, 11:17 pm »
Nice, thanks bro.

Kingrex

« Reply #432 on: 1 May 2020, 01:58 am »
Things have changed a lot for me.  I have the PAP trio 15 horn.  Did a lot of work to get them dialed in.  You have to have the crossover remote from the frame.  Putting the speaker on a very heavy 8" tall block was the best move ever for the speaker.  I have a new STST Motus II TT.  I also change the amps to Audio Black Shadow SET.

Kingrex

« Reply #433 on: 1 May 2020, 04:10 pm »
Pursuit of now, do you have the Decware speakers.  Do you like them?

Larpy

« Reply #434 on: 1 May 2020, 06:14 pm »
Brand new member and new to OBs.  But I've fallen hard.  Started with Caintuck Betsys (with Lii Audio Fast 8 drivers) and loved the sound but wanted fuller upper bass and lower mids, so I built a DIY "Bigger Betsy" using Lii Audio F15 drivers:

Very happy with the sound, though the bass drops off a cliff below 60 Hz in my small room.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #435 on: 1 May 2020, 09:59 pm »
Larpy,
Would you mind describing the overall sound from your Liii 15 open baffle speakers?
Im in the process of building a pair like yours. Is it worth it?
Thanks
Dan

Larpy

« Reply #436 on: 2 May 2020, 01:14 am »
Well, I'm new to open baffle speakers, so the only other open baffle speakers I've heard are the Caintuck Betsys with Lii Audio Fast 8 drivers.  The Lii F15 drivers in the larger baffle sound very similar to the Fast 8s but filled out in the lower midrange and upper bass.  They have the same huge soundstage and palpability.  That and the dynamic contrasts (scale?) are what really hooked me on the Caintuck Betsys, and the F15s do those things just as well.

The Fast 8s might have a little more resolution in the treble.  The F15s start rolling off in my room above 8K Hz and are more or less gone above 12K, but so is my hearing so that doesn't bother me.  But for younger listeners, a super-tweeter might be in order.  The presence region is a little hot (3 dBs up between 5K and 8K), but my middle-aged ears don't mind.  Bass is flat to 80 Hz and sounds subjectively full until 60 Hz.  Below that it rolls off quickly.  40 Hz is probably 15-20 dBs down.

Is it worth it?  Yes!  Even with a (admittedly cheap) subwoofer, the Caintuck Fast 8 Betsys sounded just a little too thin.  The sub added fullness to the upper bass, but there was still a trough (–4 or 5 dBs) between 200 and 500 Hz.  Acoustic music sounded lovely, but rock sounded hollowed out.  But, depending on your taste, the bass of the F15 is fine even without a sub.  Honestly, if I just listen to the music, I don't really miss the bass below 60 Hz because even low bass notes sound musical.  And the lower mids might be a little lean but it doesn't bother me.

I'd be more help if I had more experience with OB speakers.  What I can say is that I've been listening to the F15s in the bigger Betsy-styled baffles just about all day everyday this week while I worked from home, and there's been no listening fatigue.  And I had the volume turned up.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #437 on: 2 May 2020, 05:05 am »
Thanks Larpy,
 I will add a HSU subwoofer to he Lii system and I hope low frequencies won’t be a problem.
Thanks again,
Dan

tboucher

« Reply #438 on: 3 May 2020, 12:59 am »
Things have changed a lot for me.  I have the PAP trio 15 horn.  Did a lot of work to get them dialed in.  You have to have the crossover remote from the frame.  Putting the speaker on a very heavy 8" tall block was the best move ever for the speaker.  I have a new STST Motus II TT.  I also change the amps to Audio Black Shadow SET.

Nice! I was thinking building a woofer-horn-woofer set. How are the mids?

k9vap

« Reply #439 on: 10 May 2020, 04:51 pm »
Some nice stuff on here!

Following on from my last post (Pg.10 #263) my OB's have evolved now to a metal scaffold design. I want simplicity and no woodwork.

The scaffold is cut to size by the supplier.....I just need to assemble. The Faital arrays are hung by cable, as are the woofers (UM18), so complete isolation.

For sure, this is not the most efficient way to do bass, especially since I enjoy listening at concert levels and want to feel the bass with Kraftwerk....but its fast, clean, deep, and best of all, no room modes! They are driven by a pair of NX6000D's which also handle the crossover (275hz) to the full range Faitals (2 x 4FE32 + 4 x 3FE22)....and no....no comb filter effects!

« Last Edit: 11 May 2020, 06:50 am by k9vap »