Help a poor fool

rgcards

Help a poor fool
« on: 13 Dec 2017, 12:42 pm »
So I'm trying to get back into computer audio.  Several years ago a ripped several hundred CDs using EAC to my  HP computer which I was outputting using foobar to a wired 4 sound dac.  Through divorce and hard drive failure I managed to lose all my ripped files,(although my ex says she will look for the back up drive when she can).  I don't have the patience to rip them all again manually, so when I saw a small green computer sonictransporter AP for sale I went ahead and bought it.  Unfortunately I have no idea how to use it .

1) What is Roon?  Do I need to use it or can I download jriver or another piece of software(media monkey, foobar)?
2) Do I need a micro rendu?  Can I hook the sonictransporter to a dac or my devialet amp?
3) I dont really need to stream music to different sites, do I need to get my router hooked up to the sonictransporter to use it
4) If I need a microrendu, can I substitute one of my many unused laptops instead?
5) What is a NUC and how does one use it instead of a computer
6) Sorry about being an idiot

RG

artur9

Re: Help a poor fool
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2017, 02:37 am »
I can answer a few of your questions:

1)  Roon is the latest greatest player software.  For some uses it's fantastic (maybe even the majority).  It's really good at organizing non-classical.  It's also one of the priciest players out there.  There's a demo you can try or just use something else.

5) A NUC is just a small form factor computer.  Nothing particularly different about it from that point of view.

Doesn't your devialet already have a streamer in it?  I think all you need is someplace to store your music?

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2017, 09:26 pm »
rgcards,

"The list is long..."  There are a lot of places on the web to educate yourself on the how to's.  The journey is more important than the goal.  Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  The worth and cost of acquiring experience and knowledge.  Good luck on your journey.  Have fun doing it always should be number one, in my book.

1.  As artur9 said, there are many different software, music playing programs out there.  Your own financial situation will dictate your path.  What is good enough for one...  Roon is certainly popular with those who stream Tidal and other services.  JRiver seems to work for those who archive their own music as you seem to have started out doing years ago.  Streaming versus archiving may be a question that you want to answer first before moving forward.  Do you want this software to help you find new music or do you have ways to stumble onto new music on your own already?

How do you like to listen to music?(In the background while doing something else, as your sole focus of attention, while traveling only, on a phone, in a car, train, airplane, via headphones, via speakers, are others involved where and while you listen, etc.)

2.  Do I need a micro(ultra) rendu (versus another means of streaming from one location to another)?  You indicate that you only listen from one spot at this point.  So are you trying to get up and running so that you can hear music where you live?  Or are you looking to build a system that covers several rooms?  The big question...budget?  Do you have a turntable?  My understanding of the sonictransporter is that it's a cd ripper/storage/player device.  It should be able to output a signal to a dac which could feed a preamp or an amplifier.  You would not need to tether it to a router to listen in one spot, only if you are looking to share files with other locations.

4.  A microrendu is a computer.  But a very specialized one.  Yes one can use a laptop, or desktop computer for that matter, with the correct software, like JRiver, to replace a microrendu(We are in danger of making a "microrendu" an "aspirin" if we are not careful here.  Both were/are proprietary names at first.) Does one want to use a specialized streamer versus a laptop/desktop?  You may find enough of a difference in the resulting sound if you compare/use a microrendu versus another streaming device.  The associated equipment in your system will have an effect.  How the equipment plays together will determine your satisfaction with the resulting sound.  What is your budget?  How much time do you want to invest in the set up of your music playing system?

So you have a Devialet amplifier.  What is the model number?  I ask because the more information about the equipment you presently have that you give us, the better we can understand your specific situation and thus give you hopefully better help.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:02 am »
rgcards,

"The list is long..."  There are a lot of places on the web to educate yourself on the how to's.  The journey is more important than the goal.  Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  The worth and cost of acquiring experience and knowledge.  Good luck on your journey.  Have fun doing it always should be number one, in my book.

1.  As artur9 said, there are many different software, music playing programs out there.  Your own financial situation will dictate your path.  What is good enough for one...  Roon is certainly popular with those who stream Tidal and other services.  JRiver seems to work for those who archive their own music as you seem to have started out doing years ago.  Streaming versus archiving may be a question that you want to answer first before moving forward.  Do you want this software to help you find new music or do you have ways to stumble onto new music on your own already?

How do you like to listen to music?(In the background while doing something else, as your sole focus of attention, while traveling only, on a phone, in a car, train, airplane, via headphones, via speakers, are others involved where and while you listen, etc.)

2.  Do I need a micro(ultra) rendu (versus another means of streaming from one location to another)?  You indicate that you only listen from one spot at this point.  So are you trying to get up and running so that you can hear music where you live?  Or are you looking to build a system that covers several rooms?  The big question...budget?  Do you have a turntable?  My understanding of the sonictransporter is that it's a cd ripper/storage/player device.  It should be able to output a signal to a dac which could feed a preamp or an amplifier.  You would not need to tether it to a router to listen in one spot, only if you are looking to share files with other locations.

4.  A microrendu is a computer.  But a very specialized one.  Yes one can use a laptop, or desktop computer for that matter, with the correct software, like JRiver, to replace a microrendu(We are in danger of making a "microrendu" an "aspirin" if we are not careful here.  Both were/are proprietary names at first.) Does one want to use a specialized streamer versus a laptop/desktop?  You may find enough of a difference in the resulting sound if you compare/use a microrendu versus another streaming device.  The associated equipment in your system will have an effect.  How the equipment plays together will determine your satisfaction with the resulting sound.  What is your budget?  How much time do you want to invest in the set up of your music playing system?

So you have a Devialet amplifier.  What is the model number?  I ask because the more information about the equipment you presently have that you give us, the better we can understand your specific situation and thus give you hopefully better help.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

I've said it before, and I'll say it again;  AudioCircle folks kick ass.  :thumb: