Danny Richie

New tweeters are here!
« on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:50 pm »
Check out the new GR-T2's and GR-T6's.

http://www.gr-research.com/drivers.htm

srmc

New designs on the way?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2003, 01:18 am »
These tweeters look very interesting.  Will they be incorporated into some new kits?  Does this mean the revival of the Paradox line?

By the way, you are positively killing me.  I bought the last of the old A/V-3 kits back in January, and haven't had the time to build them (perhaps this weekend).  You keep coming out with better and better designs that I'm itching to try.  Give me a little time to catch up . . .

Take care,
SRMC

BradJudy

New tweeters are here!
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2003, 02:35 am »
Is anyone else creeped out by the fact that Danny's tweeters (at least the G2 and it's kin) look like eyeballs?  It's like the speakers are staring at you.  :D

Just giving you a hard time Danny.  It's good to see the independent smaller companies doing well.

george king

New tweeters are here!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2003, 02:52 pm »
Danny,

Well, this is a tease.  How do they sound?  I have always been partial to silk domes.  How do they compare to the T1?  Is it worth swapping out the tweeters for even better sound or does the crossover need to be modified?

Thanks a bunch.

ps.  Does this mean I have to order a kit to finish out my 5 speakers, to avoid running out the T1 tweeters?  :D

Danny Richie

Tweets
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2003, 03:17 pm »
Yes, they do look like eye balls.

Yes, they will be incorporated into our A/V series kits.

They sound very similar to the GR-T1's. Differences are very subtle.

They were designed to fit the same driver holes as the T-1 and be a direct replacement. The sensitivity of the T-2 is barely lower than the T-1's. For the A/V-1 I had to adjust the one resister value that is used in the series network from 2.2 (sometimes 2.7 depending on the tweeter) to a 1.5 ohm. All else remained the same. The response in the top end was a little bit smoother too.

If you have A/V series speakers with the T-1 keep the T-1's. They are that close in sound.

If you have A/V series speakers and plan on ordering more A/V series kits to match the ones you have, don't worry, they will match.

The really great thing about the new tweeters is consistency.

With the T-1's I would have to work at it to find matched pairs and shoot responses of lots of drivers to find matches. I was able to find matched pairs to send out though.

With the new G-2's finding matched pairs is easy. It's harder to find responses that don't look alike. I shoot the responses on 40 units the other day and finding tweeters with identical responses was pretty easy.

Good quality control goes a long way with me. I am really pleased with these so far.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Eyeballs
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:53 am »
Yes, they do look slightly creepy to me also.  If they sound like the old eyeballs, they are a winner though!

Congradulations on the consistency.  I have dealt with this too.   It was certainly a significant factor for my tweeter choice a few years ago.  I am glad that things worked-out for you in this matter.

I do have a question, specifically about the eyeball look and the coatings.  I will offer some preamble first.  I believe there are several important factors in tweeters.  One of the more significant factors is coatings.  I noticed that George's tweeter has a black silk dome and yours has a semi-clear silk dome.  I am sure you do not know what is on George's dome.  I am also sure that you understand the how and why for the dome on your tweeter.

Why is the dome semi-clear?  What would you sacrifice with some other method of coating?

If you didn't have any coating options with ordering these tweeters, that is fine.  I just thought you might know something super smart about the coating compromises on a dome and how yours was accomplished.  

Dave

Danny Richie

domes
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2003, 11:27 pm »
Dave,

I did not and have not experimented with coatings on the domes.

My specifications on the new tweeters required it to be a real silk dome with a fairly low Fs.

Samples of my current tweeter (GR-T1) were also provided.

What I do like about this little dome is that it sounds much better than similar Vifa models, Dynaudio D28/2's and many similarly priced and much more expensive tweeters.

So maybe I have looked at it with a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" angle on these.

It has the "eyeball" look due to the type of dampening that is used just behind the dome.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Thanks Danny
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2003, 12:34 am »
Yep,

This makes good sense.  The older tweeter certainly did sound very good.  I recall some problems with consistency and this becomes very time consuming for you.  If this problem is fixed, I am sure you have a darn good tweeter in there - one very capable of beating the garden-variety $25 stuff.  I recall the older tweeter sounding darn near the the 1" $70 domes.

I apprecaite your response.

Dave

dayneger

New tweeters are here!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2003, 01:03 pm »
Bradjudy--

I have to admit that the eyeball effect can be a little disconcerting.  Usually you have to keep an eye on your speakers; now your speakers keep on eye on you.   A government plot with Big Brother connotations?   :o

Dayne

Oh, different topic--Danny, what are the cabinet dimensions of the AV2?  Maybe I missed them somehow.  Also, parts of your site still reference the AV1+ instead of AV2.  Congratulations that the new tweaters match up so easily!