FREE MUSIC: latest recording offer, Sound Tribe Sector Nine

nickspicks

Hi folks...

ok, i've got a hot one here.
First off, let me appologize to all those who did not get freebie Jazz mandolin discs.  I ran out of CDs for a while and have been super busy.  I'll try and get some more out to the remaining addresses I have.

new stuff.
last week, I recorded a band called Sound Tribe Sector Nine at a great club in Boston.  Their sound guy is fantastic, as the few times i've seen them have been the best sounding concert experience i had seen in recent memory.  They are difficult to discribe.  i guess they catagorize as a "jam band", but they are more of a trance/techno/jazz band.  Heavy on the techno jazz end.

This time around, I had some new microphones to play with, and got the chance to run two different stereo recording techniques, one for each set.
The first set, i ran with the Blumlein method of a coincident pair of figure of 8 patterns crossed at 90deg off axis.  It produced a very tightly focused, yet wide soundstage.  I was just 2' off center from where the focal point was (sound guy doesnt want a mic stand in his face and all...).  The stereo image is a little skewed as a result, but still there is some great spatial info here.

The 2nd set, I ran using the DIN method, which is a pair of cardioid microphones spaced 20cm and angled 90deg.  This set came out nicer, IMO.  The bass information is gigantic, and will certainly bring your stereo to its knees if it can't handle the information recorded on CD!  

My system is not the best on the block...far from it.  But I consider it reference quality for live music playback, and it reproduces this concert perfectly.  The low end is gut shaking!!

If you want a copy of this two CD performance, you'll have to send me two blanks plus return postage (two stamps) and your return address all in the same package, and I'll burn the discs and send them back to you.

samples:
www.nickspicks.com/mp3/sts9.mp3  from the blumlein set
and two from the DIN set
www.nickspicks.com/mp3/sts9-din.mp3
www.nickspicks.com/mp3/sts90-din02.mp3

recordign gear:
AKG c414B-ULS mulit pattern LD mics > Apogee AD1000 (16bit / 44.1kHz) > creative JB3 .wav recording direct to hard disc.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2004, 07:44 am »
Damn- I've been meaning to send you some CD-Rs, but this week has been crazy for me.  :x   Sounds like another good one.

nickspicks

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2004, 11:55 am »
well get on it!
this is a good one, you dont want to miss out Rob.  However, i'm not going any where and neither are the files on my PC, so take your time.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2004, 01:18 pm »
I'll be sending you CDRs, I definitely want to check them out.  This is my kind of music.

Christof

Where is your list?
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2004, 05:43 am »
How do I navigate to your master list?  Thanks a heap for the JMP show, it's a great recording!

:P Chris

nickspicks

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2004, 10:33 am »
the link to "music lists" should be on the left side of my front page.
but, here it is:  www.nickspicks.com/music.htm