Thinking about Spatial purchase. Amp question.

Soundchasr

Thinking about Spatial purchase. Amp question.
« on: 13 Jun 2020, 10:54 pm »
I'm very interested in Spatial speakers.  I have a budget of $3,500 for speakers and $1,500 for an integrated amp.  If I get the M5 (what I can afford), what would be a good amp to pair with them in my range?  I currently have a Jolida 1501RC hybrid amp which I was planning to replace.

Thanks for any help! 

sumoking

Re: Thinking about Spatial purchase. Amp question.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2020, 07:07 am »
If you only need a couple inputs, I would go with the Cherry STM. Get the large power supply and see if you can get a demo deal. If you need more inputs, go with a 2 Cherry on a demo deal and a passive pre amp. It might cost you a couple hundred more, but it will sound like you spent three or four times the money.
Good luck.
Cheers.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2020, 11:52 am »
for $1,500 there will be many good options for your situation.  a lot depends on your needs/preferences.  tubes vs ss?  new vs vintage?  phono input?  dac?

you will end up with a great system! 

ric

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2020, 01:34 pm »
My guess is don't sell the Jolida until you listen to it and have time to get things dialed in, which could take weeks to months. If you determine the amp is not up to snuff, make sure it's not cables, dac, etc., then move ahead. You may be surprised. Good luck!

Jprod

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2020, 03:27 pm »
I would put all the money into the speakers. If your room is big enough go with the m3s. It will take a while for you to break in the M series but its worth the wait!. Nothing wrong with the m5s but I would get the most speaker you can get for  the money.

Soundchasr

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2020, 07:38 pm »
Thank you all for the advice.

musicdre:

1.  I like the sound of tubes but I'm not opposed to SS at all.  I should say I'm not sure what would work best for my musical tastes.  Here's some of what I listen to:

>> Portishead, Yes, Pantera, Rage, 2Pac, the Beatles, Al Di Meola, SRV, Pink Floyd, Tool, Kate Bush, Porcupine Tree, etc.  And lots of progressive rock....  :-) Lately, I've been going through a yacht rock phase.....

2.  I'd probably lean towards new because I'm not confident that I'd know what to look for in vintage (and I'm impatient!).

3.  Phone input? I don't think so (but never say never....). Everything would go through my PC at this point.

4. DAD - I have a Micromega that I'll be replacing with either a Schiit Modius or Cambridge Audio DacMagic (opinions on these are welcome!).

I'll check out the Cherry STM. 

Lndryguru

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2020, 08:59 pm »
I could not agree more, go with Cherry.
As own who lived with a very good tube amp, the Cherry is in another league, detail, speed, transparent all the while dimensional.
Give Tommy a call.
Dave