Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?

stlrman

Re: Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?
« Reply #60 on: 26 Mar 2015, 08:04 pm »
I just drove the 528xi, and man was I dissappointed!!
The steering felt like power steering of a Caddy.
  Is there a different steering system in the 5 series?
Acceleration and braking were also different, not exciting at all.
I felt like I was driving a Camry. So,  I plan to keep my 3 series as the fun factor is off the charts!

RDavidson

« Reply #61 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:39 pm »
There's a lot to be said for smaller, lighter, more maneuverable cars. I personally prefer vehicles that fit like a glove, not an oven mitt. :lol:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #62 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:41 pm »
The five series has seemed kind of blah to me. I had a 335is convertible which was fun and now I have the 650i convertible with V8 twin turbo, also fun!

RDavidson

« Reply #63 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:52 pm »
Yup. More weight just means you need that much more power and torque than a smaller vehicle, to get a similar fun factor.

It's called "Power to Weight ratio"  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #64 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:52 pm »
I personally prefer vehicles that fit like a glove, not an oven mitt.

You must have secretly borrowed our 2007 Hyundai Entourage to offer such a deliberate and accurate summary of how it "delivers" the driving experience!

The little BMW Ti I owned back in the 90's was often quoted to be a Miata hatchback.  It was a ton of fun to wring out on the road.  This from a guy who at the time owned several sportbikes!

RDavidson

« Reply #65 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:06 pm »
Well, maybe I don't want surgical glove-like fit. The smallest car I could semi-comfortably fit in is probably a Honda S2000. Getting out might be a chore....which has more to do with the ride height. Try and get in and out of an Acura NSX. I believe it has the lowest center of gravity of any production car ever built, even today. Great ergonomics inside the car, but getting in and out takes very good mobility, especially if you're around 6' tall or taller.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #66 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:38 pm »
I went from a 2003 325xit to a 2008 535xit (i.e. wagon's both) last year.  Yes, the steering and suspension is much softer vs 3 series and overall the car is much less "sporty".  Overall driving feel is much more anesthetic - fit and finish also seem a step back.  I just couldn't see myself in a 2008 or similar 328xit : just felt too cramped / dark inside even though the driving feel was much more sporty.  Ultimately my needs changed and I was willing to give up the sportiness of the 3 series for something with a larger / airier cabin with a lot more usable hauling space.  The 535xit w/ it's 300hp twin turbo is no slouch though - a LOT faster than my old 325. It might not corner as well, but it's definitely quick.

Ultimately I think the 535xit makes a very good Uber / Lyft vehicle for CUSTOMERS (comfort / space / etc), though from the driving experience perhaps less so for the driver.  The easy / softer ride and airier / brighter cabin is nice for rush hour / stop & go traffic - of which there is a lot of in my DC area. Maybe I'll go back to a 3 series wagon in the future as the cabin + power get better in the later models, but for now this one suits my needs.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #67 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:48 pm »
The five series has seemed kind of blah to me. I had a 335is convertible which was fun and now I have the 650i convertible with V8 twin turbo, also fun!

You need to move up the 5 series line for it to exhibit any real driving fun. 

Given its heavy weight, the only way to get it going is with one the larger engine options.

Before getting my M3, I almost bought a used M5.  Not only was that a great car to drive, the V10 engine was something special to listen to.

George

TomS

« Reply #68 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:29 pm »
You need to move up the 5 series line for it to exhibit any real driving fun. 

Given its heavy weight, the only way to get it going is with one the larger engine options.

Before getting my M3, I almost bought a used M5.  Not only was that a great car to drive, the V10 engine was something special to listen to.

George
Absolutely true! I drove a base 325 rental car a few months ago and hated it, a very disappointing car in both fun factor and comfort. Not too impressed with the base level 5's either, but the 545, 550 and the diesel are all very nice. I've had a couple M3's, M5, and a 540i-6. Being a big guy, the 5's just fit me better, and are much more comfortable. If they re-made the E39 540i-6 today I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It was the best car I've ever owned.

As a Lyft fare, if you put 2 of us in the back of a 3 series, I'd probably choose to decline.

stlrman

« Reply #69 on: 9 Apr 2015, 02:11 pm »
Time for an update... This BMW is awesome!!!!!! :thumb: :D :D :thumb:
I am very short at 5'3" , so I have all the room I need. Yes it feels a bit confining being in my first bucket seat ever, and getting into and out of a low to the ground vehicle.

This car is flat out fun to drive!!exciting , grips the road like glue, fast enough for me !, any bigger engine for me and I'd be scared . The braking is sick!  This car drives like a Porshe!

Plenty of room for my Lyft passengers in the back. I have had three huge guys in full costume, who said they were perfectly comfy. All my clients love the car
Time for an update... This BMW is awesome!!!!!! :thumb: :D :D :thumb:
I am very short at 5'3" , so I have all the room I need. Yes it feels a bit confining being in my first bucket seat ever, and getting into and out of a low to the ground vehicle.

Huge sun roof and moon roof keep the car bright and makes it feel bigger, not so closed in.
I love the i drive as its way easy to change the radio stations.  I still have a ton to learn.
The steering is tight , ie. You need some muscle to steer, it can feel like steering through quicksand, when at low speeds, like pulling out of parking spots, BUT, hot damn you will feel this car under your steering wheel!!!
The stereo sound is the best I have ever heard in a car, 14 speakers in this car.
The general feel of this car when I buckle in , is that I'm in the cockpit of an F14. so well designed!!!
This car is thrilling to drive !!
22 times on the top ten from car and driver from 1992-2012, and I assume the past three years as well.
Bravo BMW!!!!

Berto

« Reply #70 on: 9 Apr 2015, 06:26 pm »
I bought a 2011 black  loaded 335x drive with M package. Bought it used with 6k miles, from the only BMW owned dealership in USA. Manhattan BMW.  Absolutely love the car like no other i'vee ever owned. I got a great working relationship with a BMW certified master mechanic ( thanx to Gopher ) to keep it purring like a kitten at about 1/3 the usual maintenance cost.

Although the car is rated at 300hp/300lbs torque. The hp rating is at the crank so really only puts out around 250s to 260s range ( at the wheel ) . I wanted a sleeper/M3 killa so I upgraded to a corsa exhaust, VRSF intercooler, VRSF downpipe, K1 coilover suspension, UUC sway bars, and had it pro tuning freaks dial it all in with a cobb. I now dyno 336hp to the wheel ( almost 400hp at the crank) and 408 lbs of torque. It's ridiculous overkill for the street, and can easily get me in trouble. You only live once :thumb:

I just drove a 2014 328 loaner and not sure about you guys but I absolutely hated the VERY loose and new electronic assisted steering. Yuck, who ever thought of this was obviously not catering to a driving enthusiast.

*Scotty*

« Reply #71 on: 9 Apr 2015, 06:39 pm »
Did it require an upgrade to the suspension to deal with the increase in rear wheel horse power?
Scotty

Marbles

« Reply #72 on: 9 Apr 2015, 06:45 pm »
I just bought a 2007 m6 convertible with smgiii with under 40,000 miles. Looks new inside and out.
TomS, I bought it from Dream Makers. Would have preferred to buy it from Bill Zilke at Sweetcars, but he didn't have anything near the price.

TomS

« Reply #73 on: 9 Apr 2015, 06:56 pm »
I just bought a 2007 m6 convertible with smgiii with under 40,000 miles. Looks new inside and out.
TomS, I bought it from Dream Makers. Would have preferred to buy it from Bill Zilke at Sweetcars, but he didn't have anything near the price.
Sweeeeeeet! Dream Makers has a lot of nice rolling stock too, and is certainly giving Sweetcars a bit of competition in the ultra high end. Who'd think you'd find these cars in Ft. Wayne  :scratch:

Marbles

« Reply #74 on: 9 Apr 2015, 07:04 pm »
I agree, but I can't afford the high end much less the $2.2mil Ultra high end :?
They are nice to look at :green:
Sent you a PM

Berto

« Reply #75 on: 9 Apr 2015, 08:36 pm »
Did it require an upgrade to the suspension to deal with the increase in rear wheel horse power?
Scotty

My car is a Xdrive. On a rear wheel drive BMW you'll probably need a limited slip differential (LSD), otherwise you will be spinning on take off. Suspension wise I found the stock suspension way too bouncy. I can understand since most roads ( esp after some of our winters) are awful and the avg buyer would not appreciate the stiffer/bumpier ride. But I certainly do.

Forgot to mention the VRSF charge pipe ugrade. Once your turbo boost goes up the stock charge pipe will get blown right off, happened to me once. Guy just goes into limp mode, never fun.

By the time the car warms up, where I can get on it, i'm usually at my destination. Go figure.

jriggy

« Reply #76 on: 9 Apr 2015, 10:17 pm »
Nice Rob! Luv it.
My buddy has a somewhat suped up 2008 335, that he initially went to Germany to pick up. So the first 500 or more miles were put on it on the Autobahn. I don't know what he has done to it but it's fun to go get lunch in.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 10 Apr 2015, 11:22 am »

Congrats Marbles!

M series cars are such incredible pieces of machinery.

With the weather finally starting to change, it's time for M3 to come out of hibernation.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 10 Apr 2015, 11:27 am »
I bought a 2011 black  loaded 335x drive with M package. Bought it used with 6k miles, from the only BMW owned dealership in USA. Manhattan BMW.  Absolutely love the car like no other i'vee ever owned. I got a great working relationship with a BMW certified master mechanic ( thanx to Gopher ) to keep it purring like a kitten at about 1/3 the usual maintenance cost.

Although the car is rated at 300hp/300lbs torque. The hp rating is at the crank so really only puts out around 250s to 260s range ( at the wheel ) . I wanted a sleeper/M3 killa so I upgraded to a corsa exhaust, VRSF intercooler, VRSF downpipe, K1 coilover suspension, UUC sway bars, and had it pro tuning freaks dial it all in with a cobb. I now dyno 336hp to the wheel ( almost 400hp at the crank) and 408 lbs of torque. It's ridiculous overkill for the street, and can easily get me in trouble. You only live once :thumb:

I just drove a 2014 328 loaner and not sure about you guys but I absolutely hated the VERY loose and new electronic assisted steering. Yuck, who ever thought of this was obviously not catering to a driving enthusiast.

Nice ride Berto.

I did many of the same changes to my 2011 335 with Xdrive while I still owned it.  Getiting a M3 was still a huge upgrade and I am so glad I bought one.

As for the newer 3 Series...I agree with your assessment.  They aren't the same as our e90's.  That said, my friend's 2014 3 series diesel is still a nice car and great to drive and ride in.

George

jd3

« Reply #79 on: 10 Apr 2015, 12:59 pm »
Nice car Berto!  I lease a 2013 328i x drive, and my previous car was a 2011 of the same model.  The 2011 was way tighter than my current car, handled better, and no squeaks or rattles even after 3 years of hard driving.  The only thing I like better about my current one is the cup holders, and the turbo 4 does get a bit better gas mileage.  I have nagging squeaks from my dash, and a loud rattle that was due to something loose in the passenger airbag compartment.  Pretty disappointing car vs. the 2011.  This is very likely my last 3 series.