Suspiro settings for Hana ML

Dishman442

Suspiro settings for Hana ML
« on: 7 Jan 2023, 09:48 am »
Need some Suspiro advice.

The gentleman selling me a Hana ML suggests 100 ohm with highest gain setting. (68 DB or so)  A relative appears to have thrown away my manual, so I’m flying blind here. Little help maybe?  :)

If Klaus or anyone has experience with this cartridge and would suggest a better setting, please let me know.

Thanks!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Suspiro settings for Hana ML
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2023, 11:52 am »
Go ahead and start with that setting, but feel free to experiment with higher (less) resistance dampening. My Benz Micro suggests 470 - 47K and I like it best at 47K to give the most clear, lively sound. Also feel free to try a little less gain to see how that sounds as well. There's no hard set rules and it won't damage anything to try different settings.

Dishman442

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2023, 07:17 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately, without a manual, I don’t which switches to dip.    :oops:

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2023, 08:53 pm »

Here you go Dishman442.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm »
James,

The Hana cartridges mate very well with the Suspiro Phono…a couple recommendations here. As for loading (5 position switches), I will start with position 1 on both channels. Position 1 and 2 only affects capacitance (treble) and is very much cable dependent. I will suggest you try positions 3-5 open first and let the Hana do the loading (native). On the contrary, 47K will give you great results. As for gain setting (four position switches) I will suggest position 3 (54dB) on both channels. Nothing wrong in turning the volume up on the preamp and in your case, the Candela will come alive!!

Cheers,
Alex

Dishman442

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2023, 07:39 am »
Thank you all for your extremely helpful information! 

I can’t wait to hear this much improved front end through the Suspiro/Candela/Kismet-Khartago monos. 

Dishman442

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2023, 09:09 am »
If the rest of the system is “safe”, meaning volume 0, switched to a different input, can the Suspiro dip switches be changed with the power still on?  If so, I can carefully make changes without having to let everything warm back up.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2023, 06:18 pm »
No, the Suspiro is at 100% output while it is on! You can leave the Candela and power amps on with the volume down of course, but you must turn OFF the Suspiro while making any changes.

Alex

jpv

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2023, 08:34 pm »
Alex,

I see from the manual that on the MM setting switch 1&2 - pos 1 or 2 should be on. Switch 3&4 set to 40db gain "on" only. Does that mean ALL of the others are to be set to "off" and pos 6 for 47K is not "on"?

John

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2023, 10:46 pm »
John,

For MM only (3-4mV output cartridges), S1-S2 - position 1 (or 2) should be on AND position 6 (47K) also should be on. Gain switches (S3-S4), only position 1 (40dB) should be on (all the rest OFF).

Alex

Oostexan

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2023, 07:32 pm »
Alex, I am a Suspiro Reference owner and I have a Hana ML as well.  I am a complete newbie to trying to figure out dip switches on the Suspiro.  Would you be so kind as to list the switches and the on/off position you recommend for each of them for the ML paired with the Suspiro?

I cannot tell which ones on the gain to put "on" verses "off" for a specified gain and am too much of a newbie to really understand it.

Mark

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2023, 08:11 pm »
Mark -

Is not difficult to make the adjustments to the dip switches. Back to basics, all the position dip switches when “near” to the switch actual numbers are in a close state (off). Also, switches S2 and S4 are 180 degrees opposite in relation to S1 and S3 - so the numbering is in reverse! For the Hana I would load the cartridge natively. Turn on both dip position switches 1 for S1 and  S2, all the rest - off. As for gain, turn on only dip switch 3 for S3 and S4 - all the rest for S3 and S4 should be off. Further, S1 and S2 ( loading) are “six position” switches, and S3 and S4 (gain) are “four” position switches.

Alex

Oostexan

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2023, 01:03 am »
OK, dip switches set and music playing…thank you so much Alex!!

Dishman442

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2023, 07:24 pm »
OK, dip switches set and music playing…thank you so much Alex!!
FYI, my Hana ML has about 30 albums played on it and is just showing signs of breaking in.  Better all round but the bass improvement was the most obvious. Enjoy!

Oostexan

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2023, 08:44 pm »
Dishman...just curious...but other than cleaning albums, is there anything that you do to keep it clean and working its best?

I have a vacuum style album cleaner, but I sometimes wonder if I should be cleaning the stylus or doing any other sort of maintenance on the cartridge and arm.

Mark

qdrone

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2023, 12:54 pm »
I use a hand held Ultra Sonic cartridge cleaner. I have the original Signet and it works great. I use a small camel hair brush to gently clean stylus between plays too.
You can find them on line at most stereo  sellers.  :thumb:

BikeFi10

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2023, 11:47 pm »
Dishman442, been trying to contact you regarding AQ Midnight. Your pm box is full.