BLEEP the website, hi rez source...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
BLEEP the website, hi rez source...
« on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:15 pm »
I read a review on the latest Brian Eno release in Toneaudio's pub and saw a link to:
 BLEEP.com
Downloading a 24bit wav file of Eno as I type, 11.99 seems pretty good to me....
Just thought I'd let you guys know about this website, I'm probably the last one here to find it but you never know

Wind Chaser

Re: BLEEP the website, hi rez source...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:29 pm »
Went there are reading the review but haven't checked out any of the other artists yet.  I thought you could hear the songs before buying but that must have been on Eno's website.  Saw some cool videos of them recording the album too.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm »
I am curious what the "24-bit" files are?  24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96?

No mention of that and nothing on the Help > Buying Downloads FAQ except an explanation of the differences between MP3, WAV and FLAC.

Ed, when you say you are downloading a WAV file, are you downloading a zipfile containing multiple WAV files?  Hopefully these are not 16/44.1 files upsampled to 24-bit.  I just wish there was more information on the site.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:45 pm »
Its a zip file, I know that much, still downloading. Steve do I look in properties of the files to see if 24/44.1 etc...???

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:47 pm »
737 MB....as soon as its finished I'll dissect it

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:53 pm »
Tone audio's latest issue with the review says its 24/44.1...we shall see how it sounds in another 25 minutes

srb

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:07 am »
Just looking at the file properties won't reveal anything.  If I take a 16/44.1 file and re-process it to 24/96, the file properties will say 24/96, but 8 bits of zeros will have been added to pad it to 24-bit and resampling it to 96KHz won't change anything either.

There have been cases of some "high-res" files from reputable sources like HD Tracks and Linn Records that were upsampled from 16/44.1.  No intent to defraud in my mind, just stuff that slipped through the cracks and wasn't audited.

There may be legitimate 24/44.1 and 24/48 files that were ripped from DVD-Audio.  Because there was no attempt to specify the sampling rate of the files on bleep.com, I was a little suspicious, as other high resolution download sites will specify the sampling rate.

With the proper audio editing program, you should be able to tell if the file was merely upsampled from 16/44.1 or not, as these files would have no data above 22.05KHz (whether audible or not).

I'll let others who have used these programs to analyze files, elaborate.

Steve

highfilter

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:15 am »
Bleep is a quality site. It's associated with Warp Records.

Thumbs up from me.  :thumb:

Also, it usually says whether the files are 16/44, 24/96 etc in the description. If it doesn't, they are usually 16/44 just like the CDs.

For example, from Autechre - Move Of Ten:

"Your choice of 16bit / 44.1kHz or 24bit / 44.1kHz WAV version of the album"

And then on the buy buttons: "WAV 24bit Download $8.49 Buy"

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:31 am »
I got the album, big file, sounds awesome but what a pita to get itunes to see it. I unzipped the file to a folder, the folder had 15 wav files in it, and I had to go into every file manually and label artist, album, track and then itunes finally recognized it. I tried import folder, import file, zip.....pain in the _alls.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:38 am »
I got the album, big file, sounds awesome but what a pita to get itunes to see it. I unzipped the file to a folder, the folder had 15 wav files in it, and I had to go into every file manually and label artist, album, track and then itunes finally recognized it. I tried import folder, import file, zip.....pain in the _alls.

Welcome to WAV files!  The file specification doesn't have embedded tags like AIFF, FLAC or ALAC.  Of course, if they did offer FLAC files, you would have needed to convert them to AIFF to get them into iTunes, tags intact.

Also, it usually says whether the files are 16/44, 24/96 etc in the description. If it doesn't, they are usually 16/44 just like the CDs.

I had only looked at the album I thought eclein may have selected - "Brian Eno - Small Craft On A Milk Sea" and it only said "24-bit audiophile quality WAV download"

As I mentioned, there wasn't any general information on what "24-bit audiophile" downloads were, no mention of sample rate either in the description or the Buy button, and although it might be indicated on other albums, I didn't investigate any other offerings.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:43 am »
Each file says "Bit Rate 2116kbps"...mean anything good??  LOL

srb

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:53 am »
Each file says "Bit Rate 2116kbps"...mean anything good??  LOL

Yes, that says to me 24/44.1.  It could have been simply upsampled from 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 (accomplishing nothing), but I will assume it's a legitimate file unless proven otherwise.  I believe the Beatles USB thumb drive set release was also in 24/44.1.

I would prefer 24/96 if available from a digital master or digitized from an analog master.  24/88.2 would be good too, but not quite as compatible as 24/96 (There are some DACs that do 24/96 but not 24/88.2)

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:58 am »
I opened it in Ableton LIVE to see if I could discern anything useful-Nope, Foobar- Nope, I don't have a good audio slice and dice program anymore so its still a mystery.... :scratch:

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:14 am »
I opened it in Ableton LIVE to see if I could discern anything useful-Nope, Foobar- Nope, I don't have a good audio slice and dice program anymore so its still a mystery.... :scratch:

Foobar tells me at the bottom of the album art section of my foobar setup.  I'll jump in and buy and let you know.  My Weiss DAC2 will tell me.  :)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:17 am »
Ted...i got the same numbers from Foobar, at the bottom....

srb

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:32 am »
I don't see how those indicators would have any relevance as to whether they were upsampled from a 24/44.1 file or not.  That would just tell what format the file is now.

I know if an audio editor program can display frequency, that if there was absolutely no data above 22.05KHz, that might indicate an original sampling rate of 44.1KHz.  I'm not sure what view would determine if the original was 16-bit or 24-bit.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:33 am »
Ted...i got the same numbers from Foobar, at the bottom....

Weird, cuz my Foobar will show sample rate (see underline and circled numbers..in this case 96k)

jamesg11

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:35 am »
"With the proper audio editing program, you should be able to tell if the file was merely upsampled from 16/44.1 or not, as these files would have no data above 22.05KHz (whether audible or not)."

SRB - using something like Audacity, I take it?  It'd be great if you also listed this khz level for other standard resolutions ... 24/96 etc.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:39 am »
Ted, my point is that if you give me a ripped redbook 16/44.1 file, and I upsample it to 24/96 (with no real gain in file quality or resolution), the reprocessed file will show 24/96 in the file properties, foobar and any other player's file info.

Jamesg11, I will have to do a little research, but I believe mgalusha here on Audio Circle posted some frequency screenshots comparing files that were from 24/96 masters and files from upsampled 16/44.1 files.

Edit:  Here is the post:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76360.0

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:40 am »
I was of the understanding from this thread that we mainly need to determine the sample rate of this file/folder you guys bought, right (some think 24/44, others not sure)?  A secondary issue is whether the files are upsampled from original redbook or are true hirez.....is there a direct reason why we are asking this?  Do they sound less than what folks were expecting, and therefore suspect a faux hirez upsampled example?