Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Has anyone purchased? Thoughts on how binaural performs in a two-channel setup?

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
I have it but not much to offer as my binaural headphone listening experience have been few and far apart.
From my memory it doesn't sound as good as with headphones but does sound like a really good stereo recording.  I would recommend the disc though if you are curious, need more quality recordings for evaluation etc...  It does have some useful uncompressed and unprocessed or less processed material as well as system test material etc...  I think there's a nice drum kit track recorded less processed in a room and captures natural venue acoustics very well.  So a useful disc all the way around.

jjc1

I have the binaural recording Goldberg Variations by Glen Gould, SACD. Playing this thru my speakers, 2 channel, I do not  discern any appreciable difference than other SACDs. Keep in mind that this is only one piano so as far as stereo width, depth etc. the recording isn't a good example.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Launche and JJC1, thanks for the feedback on your experiences with this format.  :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Yes, the tracks are nice high quality hirez, and test tracks like the acoustic bass scale are perfect for finding seamless integration between woofer (or, of course in sat/sub combos, subwoofer integration) and the rest of the system.  However, in general binaural cues are so miniscule that listening via speakersmakes the binaural nature a moot point, meaning they will sound good but the binaural effects are gone..move your head 2 inches and they move or are negated.

evsentry3

While I thought the Dr. Chesky disc sounded good, a new release I think is simply fantastic is this one...

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX090368035660

The last cut from this album is the first on the Dr. Chesky disc, so I guess that they thought highly of it too!  For me anyway, the 192khz quality performance is just simply riveting!  Also note that on the Dr. Chesky disc, it's "ordinary" 96khz.   :icon_lol:

CJ