IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #580 on: 29 May 2019, 01:47 am »
Hello, Pf.

I hope you don’t mind my popping in to answer your question. Leaving it on in standby mode is just fine. I bought one of the first IDA-8s when they first hit the market, and I either keep mine in standby or simply leave it in ‘full’ on mode. I’ve never had an issue with mine. It’s a great little amp.

Michael

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #581 on: 29 May 2019, 06:06 am »
Yes, standby is perfect!

Dexter_prog

« Reply #582 on: 4 Jun 2019, 01:59 pm »
Well yeah, standby is the minimum I can stand. No way I would get up and turn on the switch every time I want to listen to music :D

monoxono

« Reply #583 on: 8 Jun 2019, 11:59 am »
Can You please explain how and especially why the analog input will be digitized in the IDA-8 reading Your specs? In my opinion this males no sense at all as all other inputs are digital and will be analogized in the preamp section. Please explain in detail whats with this input.
Thanks in advance.

rustydoglim

« Reply #584 on: 9 Jun 2019, 04:38 am »
Read this FAQ: https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/what-kind-of-volume-control-and-preamp-do-you-use-for-your-dac/

This is how the signals travel through the blocks inside:  digital switch --> DAC --> [optional analog preamp] --> power amp
DAC chips have advanced to the point where even the "entry level" version has very accurate digital volume control (32bit).  So the simplest implementation for volume control is all digital and then just feed the DAC output to power amp.  The result can be amazing.

When analog gets in the middle, that's where things become expensive and cumbersome. Add a remote control to the complexity - now you have to control the digital volume inside the DAC, and also the analog preamp. The FAQ explained how it is done.
For an entry level integrated, if we choose to add the analog preamp, it will improve the analog input, BUT DEGRATE the all the digital inputs. That resulted in overall worst performance.  If you want to have ultimate performance for analog and digital inputs, then you have to upgrade to DAC-9 or DAC-10.

For IDA-8, the analog input is converted to digital with a small loss of fidelity, so that analog preamp is not required.

Sometimes you see the term "preamp stage" in the context of power amp module, this preamp stage is not the same preamp as in the device. The preamp stage in a Class D power amp design serves to adjust the gain and sonic characteristic.

Frankofranko

« Reply #585 on: 9 Jun 2019, 01:10 pm »
 Hello all,
I would appreciate help with IDA6 problem.
Recently upon startup when output relay should be energized it is clicking on/off instead and music can't be played. There is the same behavior regardless of the input channel selected and only if I disconnect speaker connector it stops clicking. In the very beginning when issue appears it was OK after few clicks and continue playing selected input. Is this device defected or there is a chance to make it work properly again. I really like this great Nuprime product and would like to listen it again. I do not have any receipt or warranty because I bought it on Ebay few months ago.
I would appreciate any help or guidance with this issue.

Thank you very much !!
Franko

rustydoglim

« Reply #586 on: 9 Jun 2019, 08:34 pm »
Looks like your IDA-6 has some problem, you should contact support and create a help desk ticket (follow instruction from the website).

John Casler

« Reply #587 on: 9 Jun 2019, 08:42 pm »
Franco,

One other thing to try:

The amp protection circuit might be seeing a "short" and not be able to complete the circuit.

If it is a short, it could be in the speaker cable, or the actual speaker itself has somehow shorted.

To test simply unplug each speaker cable and examine it for possible shorts.

Then while the amp is ON and music is playing connect each speaker separately and see if either play through the amp.

If music play through one, and not the other, then swap the speaker cable that does work.

This will help in determining if it is something else besides the amp, before you file the support ticket and send it in.

Good luck.

onurb

« Reply #588 on: 11 Jun 2019, 08:39 pm »
I did not understand, but the IDA 8 dac converts digital signals to analog, or does it remain all in the digital domain?

Greetings,
Bruno

RDavidson

« Reply #589 on: 11 Jun 2019, 08:57 pm »
I did not understand, but the IDA 8 dac converts digital signals to analog, or does it remain all in the digital domain?

Greetings,
Bruno

DAC is an acronym for Digital to Analog Converter.
Without a way for humans to listen to digital code, the code has to be converted to analog signals for us to hear it. That's what a DAC does.

onurb

« Reply #590 on: 11 Jun 2019, 09:16 pm »
I know this, but I assumed that in the case of IDA 8 the dac was only used for volume control and the signal was amplified in the digital domain, as for example in the Nuforce DDA 120, if I'm not mistaken.

Bruno

rustydoglim

« Reply #591 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:00 am »
All the digital inputs go through a digital switch and then into DAC chip.  The DAC chip does volume control as well as converting it to analog.
The output of the DAC chip goes from 0 to 2V max, and then to the internal power amp.
So when you turn the volume knob on IDA-8 you are changing the volume inside the DAC.

But for higher end DAC such as DAC-10, the volume control affects TWO places: the DAC as well as the resistor ladder preamp after the DAC.
If the input is digital, then the preamp doesn't change the volume (it just switch it through a 0 db gain), the volume is best controlled inside the DAC.
But if the input is analog (remember, in this case there is no A2D conversion for DAC-10), then volume gets changed by the preamp after the DAC.
It is kind of complicated for non tech people, there is an FAQ under the DAC section about this, I am not sure if that helps.
All this trouble just for one analog input  :duh:   I know for some people that one input is the most important.

onurb

« Reply #592 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:51 am »
Thank you, Mr. Jason, now I understand. I am very satisfied with my IDA 8, except that, having a turntable, this digitized analog input bothers me a bit ... 😃
Greetings.
Bruno

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #593 on: 13 Jun 2019, 08:05 pm »
Does it bother you conceptually or audibly?  Are you saying you are worried you are theoretically missing a bit of "analogness" in the sound, or do you mean to say that you actually "hear" the digitizing of sound?

onurb

« Reply #594 on: 15 Jun 2019, 10:43 am »
it bothers me conceptually .... :D actually the sound is good, even if, of course, similar to that of digital inputs.

Bruno

bosly

« Reply #595 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:09 pm »
Can somebody provide some insight on the TDSS upgrade provided by coyote-sound.com? They are offering the D.R.R.T./Level-1 upgrade for FREE but even so I'm not sure if it's worth the marginal upgrade?

jonbee

« Reply #596 on: 28 Jun 2019, 11:37 pm »
Can somebody provide some insight on the TDSS upgrade provided by coyote-sound.com? They are offering the D.R.R.T./Level-1 upgrade for FREE but even so I'm not sure if it's worth the marginal upgrade?
I've had TDSS mod 3 of my Nuprime pieces (2 DAC10H, ST-10) with their full mods (level 3?) and the difference is obvious and well worth the pretty modest $ for a high end system.
I don't know how close the level 1 DRRT mod they mention is to the full mods I have, which are more $ (about twice, I think), but the TDSS mods are not snake oil, imo. The DRRT is priced at ~$325. Included in the retail price, I think that is a nice upgrade. Maybe the cost of a full upgrade is reduced?
Maybe I'll have my IDA-8 modded. The sound and features are amazing at the price already.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #597 on: 26 Jul 2019, 12:43 pm »
Hey guys, what do you think about the pop noise when turning it on (as described here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151124.0)? I noticed my woofer moves when the pop is produced, and, frankly, it's concerning me

rustydoglim

« Reply #598 on: 30 Jul 2019, 05:37 pm »
Small pop sound is normal in most cases. Think about how loud your speaker can sound and observe the woofer's movement when you play loud music, especially drum.  It is probably 10 times louder than the pop sound.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #599 on: 11 Aug 2019, 03:42 pm »
could someone teach me what the sub-out are for? I know they are, logically, for a subwoofer, that I don't own, but can these be used as line-out to connect them to another amp?