Audio Art SC-5 speaker cables

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Audio Art SC-5 speaker cables
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:41 pm »
Here are some of my thoughts on the Audio Art SC-5 speaker cables.  My reference cables are the Straley Reality speaker cables and I am not attemping to say that one brand is better than the other just how the cables sound in my system.
I have Audio Art IC-3 interconnects between the preamp and power amp and between the cdp and preamp, you can read about the construction of the cables at www.audioartcable.com  and www.realitycables.com .

The sound of the IC-3 interconnects is very detailed with plenty of air around instruments, 3d soundstage with a black background where the notes just come from air.  The sound is easy and smooth.
With the Straley's in place the bass in my room sometimes is a little boomy as my speakers are just a little overpowering (12x15x8) and as one reviewer put it who had the speakers in a similar size room," the 6381's are 5 1/2 lbs. in a 5 lb. bag, but still the sound is good"

Putting the SC-5's in place the sound becomes more balanced (highs,mids,lows), it's as if including the interconnects there is only one long cable in the entire system.
There is the same amount of detail as the Straleys but the backgroung is blacker.  The sound stage is not as wide as the Straleys but there is plenty of depth.
I will be keeping both of these cables as they are like mood cables, the SC-5's are like a nice smooth crown royal whiskey and the Straleys are like 80 proof wild turkey (not the 101 proof :drool: )
If you look at the price of both cables $145 - SC-5 vs. $225 Reality both 8 ft. pairs, not too far apart in pricing.

One other thing, the Straleys are very stiff and RED but you can purchase coverings for them while the SC-5's are very flexible and dark blue.

I am not working for either manufacturer and if you think cables don't make a difference or if they are super expensive to you I understand your right to your opinion but please don't sidetrack the thread, start your own.

thanks,
Marvin

gme109

Re: Audio Art SC-5 speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2006, 03:33 am »
Here are some of my thoughts on the Audio Art SC-5 speaker cables.  My reference cables are the Straley Reality speaker cables and I am not attemping to say that one brand is better than the other just how the cables sound in my system.
I have Audio Art IC-3 interconnects between the preamp and power amp and between the cdp and preamp, you can read about the construction of the cables at www.audioartcable.com  and www.realitycables.com .

The sound of the IC-3 interconnects is very detailed with plenty of air around instruments, 3d soundstage with a black background where the notes just come from air.  The sound is easy and smooth.
With the Straley's in place the bass in my room sometimes is a little boomy as my speakers are just a little overpowering (12x15x8) and as one reviewer put it who had the speakers in a similar size room," the 6381's are 5 1/2 lbs. in a 5 lb. bag, but still the sound is good"

Putting the SC-5's in place the sound becomes more balanced (highs,mids,lows), it's as if including the interconnects there is only one long cable in the entire system.
There is the same amount of detail as the Straleys but the backgroung is blacker.  The sound stage is not as wide as the Straleys but there is plenty of depth.
I will be keeping both of these cables as they are like mood cables, the SC-5's are like a nice smooth crown royal whiskey and the Straleys are like 80 proof wild turkey (not the 101 proof :drool: )
If you look at the price of both cables $145 - SC-5 vs. $225 Reality both 8 ft. pairs, not too far apart in pricing.

One other thing, the Straleys are very stiff and RED but you can purchase coverings for them while the SC-5's are very flexible and dark blue.

I am not working for either manufacturer and if you think cables don't make a difference or if they are super expensive to you I understand your right to your opinion but please don't sidetrack the thread, start your own.

thanks,
Marvin

Funny, I was going to respond to one of your older posts the other night, where you mentioned you were going to be trying the Audio Art SC-5 speaker cable, and compare it to the Reality cable. You saved me the trouble. The Audio Art, along with the Reality and the Anti-cable, are some of the speaker cables I'm thinking of trying. Ouestion, in the second paragraph, when you said with the Straley's in place, the bass was a little boomy, were you talking about the speaker cable, or the interconnect? Also, what's in the rest of your system?

marvda1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2006, 03:41 am »
i don't own the straley interconnects, it seems the straleys have more bass output which makes it easier for my speakers to overload the room a little.  everytime i get ready to buy the straley interconnects, the ic-3's sound so good and close that i can't see spending the extra money.
here is the rest of my system:
Onix XCD-88 cpd
Yamaha T-550 tuner
Belles 21a preamp w/auricap upgrade ,Dodd ELP
Usher R-1.5 power amp
Usher CP-6381 speakers
Gregg Straley Reality speaker cables
Audio Art IC-3 interconnects
Element Cable Red Storm Digital power cable
Zebra Cable 10 ga power cables

marvin

gme109

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2006, 01:19 am »
i don't own the straley interconnects, it seems the straleys have more bass output which makes it easier for my speakers to overload the room a little.  everytime i get ready to buy the straley interconnects, the ic-3's sound so good and close that i can't see spending the extra money.
here is the rest of my system:
Onix XCD-88 cpd
Yamaha T-550 tuner
Belles 21a preamp w/auricap upgrade ,Dodd ELP
Usher R-1.5 power amp
Usher CP-6381 speakers
Gregg Straley Reality speaker cables
Audio Art IC-3 interconnects
Element Cable Red Storm Digital power cable
Zebra Cable 10 ga power cables

marvin

Hi Marvin,

Any further thoughts, on the differences between the Audio Art and the Reality speaker cables, now that you've had them a little longer?

Thanks

marvda1

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:39 am »
i'm picking up on a little more detail with the straley's but along with that extra detail comes the revelation that some of the recordings have nasties in the tape hiss department.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2006, 05:15 am by marvda1 »