I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

avahifi

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #400 on: 15 Aug 2019, 11:24 pm »
The paint issue is old news.  Just more FUD.

It was an occasional problem with some cars built during the big ramp up in production the last half of 2018.

Mine, June 2019 production, is just fine.

I am heading out on a solo 3000 mile road trip the last week of August from Woodbury, MN to Phoenix and back. I will post here along the way about my adventure.

Mary will be here to keep the business under control and Berkeley (my big cat) fed and pampered.

Frank

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #401 on: 16 Aug 2019, 04:41 am »
The paint issue is old news.  Just more FUD.

It was an occasional problem with some cars built during the big ramp up in production the last half of 2018.

Mine, June 2019 production, is just fine.

I am heading out on a solo 3000 mile road trip the last week of August from Woodbury, MN to Phoenix and back. I will post here along the way about my adventure.

Mary will be here to keep the business under control and Berkeley (my big cat) fed and pampered.

Frank

Safe travels, Frank. :thumb:

avahifi

« Reply #402 on: 3 Sep 2019, 02:36 am »
I just got home from a nine day 4000 mile road trip in my new Tesla 3 to visit my sister in Phoenix, AZ.

Went out via Rapid City, Trinidad, and Flagstaff.  Home thru Blanding, Grand Junction, Vernal, Flaming Gorge, back thru the Black Hills and home.

Absolutely no issues with car, finding electrons, or me.  I will do a more detailed report on my adventure soon.

Frank

avahifi

A 4000 mile road trip in my new Tesla was fun and easy for me.
« Reply #403 on: 5 Sep 2019, 03:48 pm »
I am back from my first long road trip with my new Tesla 3.  I did 4000 miles from Woodbury, MN to Phoenix, AZ and back in nine days.

I went out via Badlands National Park, the Black Hills, then south to Trinidad, CO, and west across New Mexico and Arizona to Flagstaff, finally south to Phoenix to visit my sister.

There were plenty of Tesla Superchargers along the way and I was the only Tesla charging at almost all of them.  I drove at 85 MPH on most of the freeways, easy with the Tesla and range was fine even with AC on.  The auto steering function made driving feel secure and even gave me time to look around at the scenery without having to stay totally focused at staying in my lane 100 percent of the time. The car did that for me unfailingly.  You just have to keep a hand on the steering wheel all the time. The car is quick, quiet, stable, and fun and easy to drive all the time.

The sound system is great for a car system.  There are 14 speakers and all I had to do is say "play bluegrass" or what ever kind of music I wanted and the Tesla immediately found it.

From Phoenix back home I cut northeast from Flagstaff through Hopi Indian country to see Monument Valley and Arches National Park.  The interval from Flagstaff to the next closest Supercharger on this route was at Blanding, Utah and the Tesla GPS system said I would arrive with only 5% remaining charge so I stopped at Tube City, AZ as a hotel there had a level 2 Tesla charger. I charged there for an hour.  There was no fee as long as I showed my receipt for lunch at their restaurant to the hotel desk when leaving.  This got me to the Blanding Supercharger with no range issues. The Blanding, UT Supercharger was the nicest one I stopped at.  It was right at the town's welcome center and museum.  The lady at the welcome desk inside even offered free ice water.  There were three Tesla 3s charging there at the same time, a red one, a white one, and my blue one.  Very patriotic.  All American made!   :D

From there I drove to the Grand Junction, Colorado Supercharger and north to the Rock Springs, WY Supercharger to visit the Dinosaur excavation site at Vernal, UT and drive across the mountains and through the Flaming Gorge area. This was another push the limits stretch.  Thus I stayed overnight in Vernal and topped up at a 240V charger at a near by RV Park.

I note that I never had to use the brakes at all on long mountain downhill stretches.  The built in regeneration capacity of the electric motor just used all that excess gravity to recharge the battery a lot for free.  I see now why they claim the break pads should last over 100,000 miles.  I really never needed to use the brakes hard at all during the trip.

Then it was across the freeway in Wyoming for a ways and angling NE on two lane roads back to Spearfish in the northern Black Hills. I stopped overnight there using the Supercharger in Rapid City and finally home across South Dakota with Supercharger stops in Murdo and Mitchell SD, and finally Worthington, MN and home.

I had absolutely no issues at all with the new Tesla.  It ran perfectly and its automation kept me from ever getting tired.  The AC was great even in the 105 degree SW heat. Sun overhead with its glass roof was no issue at all, the built in sun block in the glass kept the interior cool just fine.

This was the first long road trip for pleasure only I have made in 20 years and was the easiest one of all thanks to my new Tesla.  Its a wonderful road car.

Frank
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2019, 06:08 pm by avahifi »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #404 on: 5 Sep 2019, 04:11 pm »
Cool Frank. Good to hear you had a great trip, and the logistics worked without issue. Keep us posted as time goes on.

Cheers   :thumb:
JD

TomS

« Reply #405 on: 5 Sep 2019, 04:28 pm »
Great report Frank. Sounds like a fantastic trip!

Approximately how long are those supercharger stops during the day? Just trying to imagine that compared to ICE gas stops.

charmerci

« Reply #406 on: 5 Sep 2019, 05:12 pm »
I didn't think you were coming through Moab/Arches NP. We could have had dinner together. (I was most likely working while you came through.) There's also a Tesla charging station at the Best Western here. I should have e-mailed you beforehand.

avahifi

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning
« Reply #407 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:05 pm »
Typical charging stops were about 20 minutes at Superchargers.  The two stops at slower level two 240 volt charger stops were about an hour at each, just long enough to bridge the gap between normal Superchargers as I mentioned above.

Frank

mcgsxr

« Reply #408 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:51 pm »
Appreciate the insights around a longer trip like this Frank!

TomS

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning
« Reply #409 on: 5 Sep 2019, 08:54 pm »
Typical charging stops were about 20 minutes at Superchargers.  The two stops at slower level two 240 volt charger stops were about an hour at each, just long enough to bridge the gap between normal Superchargers as I mentioned above.

Frank
Not bad at all!

avahifi

« Reply #410 on: 5 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm »
My first new car was a 1959 Volkswagen.  It cost about $1600.  It got 30 miles per gallon back when gasoline was 30 cents per gallon.  That means running cost was one cent per mile! It could go about 300 miles on a tank of gas.

However, zero to 60 was about 20 seconds and top speed was 72 miles per hour and safety was, well, don’t crash.  I never did while driving 100,000 miles and service was only one valve job, a new set of tires, and routine oil changes and filters.

My probably last new car, 60 years later, is a new Tesla Model 3.  It cost about $50,000. It’s running cost is about five cents per mile for electricity and I don’t care what gasoline costs now. It can go 325 miles on a fill up of electrons.

Zero to 60 is about 5 seconds and top speed is 140 miles per hour.  It is rated as the safest sedan in the world. With any luck at all it should need no service at all.

So it accelerates five times as fast, has double the top speed and costs only 5 times as much to drive even though gasoline cost is ten times as expensive.  It cost ten times as much as a high performance car back then, but my income has gone up by that factor too.

I think it is a better deal.

Doublej

yeldarb

« Reply #412 on: 6 Sep 2019, 01:10 am »
Frank, I am glad you enjoy your Tesla.  Around here, a Supercharger is the 700- 800 beast from the Chrysler dealer.  So, we must drive hillbilly hybrids, to make sure we can get home.  Still, electric cars are very attractive.  Does this mean you might consider hi-fi, decoupled from the grid?   :roll:

jpm

« Reply #413 on: 6 Sep 2019, 03:07 pm »
My wife is infinitely picky about cars and it can take years to get her to part with one she gets really attached to.

It's not even that straightforward - she'll vacillate continuously. We'll go through a period of test driving potential candidates repeatedly only for her to decide she likes her existing ride more. Then a few months later the process will repeat.

For me this has been fine as long as there are a few new models to throw into the mix each time. Principle 1 is that buying a car should be fun. The moment it isn't, I walk. Letting sales people know this up front is helpful.

Unfortunately this whole process now gets filed under "Ex-hobbies".

Curse you, Elon Musk. Gasoline vehicles became little more than an anachronistic curiosity overnight. The practicality and versatility of the Model S hatchback makes it every bit as "lifestyle compatible" as any SUV we've owned since we quit exploring heavily rutted desert trails.

For those unwilling to accept the limitations of sedan, check out what you get buying a pre-owned Model S from Tesla.

charmerci

« Reply #414 on: 6 Sep 2019, 03:27 pm »
My first new car was a 1959 Volkswagen.  It cost about $1600.  It got 30 miles per gallon back when gasoline was 30 cents per gallon.  That means running cost was one cent per mile! It could go about 300 miles on a tank of gas.

However, zero to 60 was about 20 seconds and top speed was 72 miles per hour and safety was, well, don’t crash.  I never did while driving 100,000 miles and service was only one valve job, a new set of tires, and routine oil changes and filters.

My probably last new car, 60 years later, is a new Tesla Model 3.  It cost about $50,000. It’s running cost is about five cents per mile for electricity and I don’t care what gasoline costs now. It can go 325 miles on a fill up of electrons.

Zero to 60 is about 5 seconds and top speed is 140 miles per hour.  It is rated as the safest sedan in the world. With any luck at all it should need no service at all.

So it accelerates five times as fast, has double the top speed and costs only 5 times as much to drive even though gasoline cost is ten times as expensive.  It cost ten times as much as a high performance car back then, but my income has gone up by that factor too.

I think it is a better deal.

Using an inflation calculator - the cost of that VW was $14600 and gas was $2.60/gallon in today's prices.

charmerci

« Reply #415 on: 6 Sep 2019, 03:30 pm »
The controversy continues...

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-tesla-model-3-safety-nhtsa-2019-8

There's no confusion. NHTSA is just telling Tesla not to claim it's the safest car on the road - or safer than other 5 star vehicles.

avahifi

« Reply #416 on: 6 Sep 2019, 04:24 pm »
The problem is that the Tesla 3 actually is the safest according to the gummet tests.

The reason for the "one five star fits all" rating for everyone is that the authorities don't want to hurt the feelings of the big auto companies by actually providing useful details of the various  cars and models.

Kind of like everyone gets A grades in the liberal arts classes.

Tesla is a disruptor.  No money spent on advertising, no use of gasoline or motor oil, no dealers, no high profit repair and maintenance shops, no tooling or purchasing of big complex internal combustion engines or transmissions.  Internally designed computers and software, very little outsourced.  As this business plan grows, big auto business must complete in kind or die.  Right now they are more into obstructing that competing.

Doublej

« Reply #417 on: 6 Sep 2019, 09:15 pm »

There's no confusion. NHTSA is just telling Tesla not to claim it's the safest car on the road - or safer than other 5 star vehicles.

Right, no confusion just controversy.

avahifi

« Reply #418 on: 8 Oct 2019, 03:44 pm »
Some have asked my about charging my Tesla so here is a few thoughts regarding this after my 4000 mile road trip in late August.

in general supercharging is not free.  On my recent 4000 road trip from Woodbury, Mn to Phoenix Az and back my total electric bill was about $95.00.  Compare that with my previous car, a 2002 Audi S6 Avant that got 20 miles per gallon and premium gas at $3.00 per gallon.  That would have cost $600.00.

Some Tesla owners of very early models from 2012 through 2017 were grandfathered in to free supercharging. This perk was discontinued in 2018.

You can also charge at level 2 chargers (much slower) at RV parks, some hotels, and some municipal buildings around the country.  Costs will vary.  I used these twice on my trip.  One at a level 2 dedicated Tesla charger in Tuba City in the middle of the Hopi Indian reservation in the desert southwest.  That one was free.  A second at a RV park in northern Colorado.  That was a flat rate $10.00 charge.

It cost me $600 to have a dedicated 240V AC line installed in my home garage.  I charge at the normal electric rate here.  A discounted rate from my electric company requires a separate meter for this and the cost to install would be more than what I would ever make up at the lower rate.  I hope they change their mind about this requirement in the future, many area do.  I really appreciate never having to visit gas stations again and standing out  in the cold in the rain or freezing weather waiting for a gas fill up.  No worries about cold weather starting too.

The nice thing about home charging is that the car is ready to go anywhere first thing in the morning and I can even turn the heat on in advance from my cellphone so it is toasty warm inside on cold winter days.  No risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, no gas engine running.

limits

« Reply #419 on: 8 Oct 2019, 03:57 pm »
My techie 15 year-old son put the model S on our RADAR for a possible future vehicle. So, we checked out the website for it, and I gotta say, I was impressed. Great website, and quite a bit less $ than I thought. This, coming from a guy who never gave EVs any serious thought.

I still worry about battery life (3+ hours north of the twin cities). Most days of the year it is ~10 degrees cooler up here. Great in the summer, but not for the other 9 months of the year  :lol: Is anyone aware of cold weather testing/battery life data in harsh (cold) environments?

As battery tech improves (solid state batteries sound like the holy grail/game changer) EVs become an almost no brainer, if not a few (or several) years out.

Glad you are liking yours, Frank!

limits