I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #360 on: 3 Jul 2019, 03:49 pm »
Uh, could we please get back on track before this thread gets binned.

Frank, thanks for starting this important, interesting thread.

Frank, Ron, what are your concerns about repairs? What happens if you need to have an under-warranty repair done by Tesla and there’s no Teslas dealership in your area? (My 2016 Mazda cx5 was in the shop 7 times for under-warranty repairs, so stuff happens.)

What happens if you’re involved in an accident? Who does the repairs? Are non-Tesla dealership mechanics competent enough to do Tesla repairs? The online nabobs of negativism would leave you to believe that a fender bender could run into the $1000s; one nihilist of negativity posted that his Tesla fender bender plus new tail light cost him $5,500 with work performed by a local mechanic. Of course we can all believe what we read online.

I’m having my electrician  come out next week to talk about about the wall charging box and concerns about the aging wiring in our 106 y/o house.

Thanks again,
Lester

audioengr

« Reply #361 on: 3 Jul 2019, 05:03 pm »
Do you realize that even when you plug your Tesla into the wall you're still burning oil?   :lol:

I'm not either.  97% renewable.

Philistine

« Reply #362 on: 3 Jul 2019, 05:06 pm »
I have a Tesla 'dealership' about 5 miles away, they prefer to carry out repairs using their Ranger service which has mobile units that come to your house/work.  If it's not convenient for you, or the repair can't be performed off site, then it needs to be dropped off with them. 

They have a growing list of approved third party body repair shops that can deal with EV's and capable of working with steel/aluminum issues (welding, galvanic isolation).  We have a thriving local FB owners group and have our own preferred list of vendors ad experiences.  With the cameras and sensors on board a minor 'fender bender' can be expensive, guys in the local owners group haven't had issues with repair costs - the main concern is wait time for parts, it can be days or a few months.  Because of the safety benefits, high accident ratings, the downside is that it's relatively easy to have it totaled by insurance due to the crumpling of the safety cage - which is preferable to having your body totaled!

Also agree that the armchair environmental experts start a new thread on saving the planet, rather than pollute this one...

avahifi

« Reply #363 on: 10 Jul 2019, 04:35 pm »
I was off this weekend to visit my brother in Starbuck, MN. Had a great visit there.

It was a good opportunity to take a shakedown trip with my new Tesla 3.  I took mostly rural secondary roads on the way there and mostly I94 freeway home.

I was able to drive lots of secondary roads using the trick Tesla Autosteer capability.  That, combined with its adaptive cruise control makes driving really easy and relaxing.  It really will steer itself in almost all conditions, around curves, up and down hills, even through small towns. It automatically obeys speed limits (I set it for 5 over).  The only thing it won't do is stop for red lites or stop signs. Gotta do that myself, but it hardly ever requires touching the brakes, the regenerative braking slows you down very quickly to an almost stop if you just lift off the go pedal all the way.  As long as you keep a hand on the steering wheel firm enough that it knows you are there, you can even take a bit of time to look around at the scenery without needing to worry about running off the road.  It won't let that happen  Of course if you are not holding the wheel firmly enough it will flash the screen at you and scold you a bit.  If you overlook that then it flashes a red screen at you and then chews you out and tells you that you cannot use Autosteer until you stop the car again.  It behaves like a rather strict schoolteacher.

Driving home on the freeway was actually much more of a hassle.  The traffic was very heavy and moving very fast (everybody coming home from their lake cabins after the long 4th weekend).  Bumper to bumper at 80 MPH with both lanes full of cars is not my way of relaxing.  Setting the adaptive cruise control to 3 seconds spacing just did not work as everyone just cut in front of me and the Tesla system would then try and back off to get that 3 second space cushion back again to no avail. I did take a break at the Clearwater, MN Tesla Supercharge station.  Added 150 miles of range in about 20 minutes.  Just enough time to stop at the nearby bakery for a cinnamon roll and a cuppa kauphy.

So first impressions on a reasonable road trip is that the Tesla is an outstanding go anywhere vehicle. Exceeding my expectations.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #364 on: 10 Jul 2019, 04:47 pm »
Regarding service and repairs, right now only Tesla service centers are set up to do service work.  Of course, with any luck at all, there is absolutely no routine service work needed except to rotate the tires every 10,000 miles and add window washer fluid once in a while. No spark plugs, no belts, no hoses, no mufflers, no oil changes, not much of anything for routine maintenance.  Tesla will send a service vehicle to your home if necessary to fix minor issues and provide flat bed towing to a service center for major issues.  My Tesla was built in the middle June, 2019 and so far has had zero defects.

Here in the Twin Cities, MN, Tesla has set up several high quality repair body shops with the specialized training and tools to do metal repairs. They have set up electricians to do home 240V charging installations too.  My 240V service goes in next week.

I would not trust any none Tesla certified shops to work on the car at this time.  They are so completely different from ICE cars.

Frank
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2019, 07:12 pm by avahifi »

EkW

« Reply #365 on: 11 Jul 2019, 01:15 am »
I have used the mobile service twice for recalled air bag replacement, 12v battery replacement, and TPMS battery replacement, all under warranty. Could have gotten a loaner if so desired. Very nice not having to drive to a service location, get a lift home or a loaner, and then return to service center again.

Philistine

« Reply #366 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:21 pm »
I initially bought USB flash drives for the Tesla Cam/Sentry Mode recordings, but 'upgraded' to a Samsung 0.5TB SSD - less than $90.  Amazing how inexpensive storage has become, and it's so compact it fits neatly on the floor of the storage area.

There's an 'illegal' left turn into my neighborhood that puts the idiots on the wrong side of the road, I've had so many near miss head on collisions over the years.  Using the Tesla Cam mode they now get posted and shamed on the neighborhood, the side benefit is that it's reduced the number of dangerous illegal turns being made...

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #367 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:59 pm »
I had a software glitch in mine and replaced a part that actually ended up being software related.  Tesla was incredibly accommodating.  They also corrected some other issues that I was unaware of.  Portland service department is busy.  I like they are direct and no hassles or games.  I can not say the same for Sunset Audi/Porsche.

From purchase of an S (later sold for the 3), and the 3 - to service of both vehicles.  No complaints.  Reliable.  Yes there were some minor issues but corrected without hassle.

avahifi

« Reply #368 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:07 pm »
I am getting a 240V AC outlet installed in my garage on Tuesday.

It will be like having my own gas station at home, but without the stink of spilled gasoline.  :D

Note that the Tesla carefully monitors current draw to eliminate the possibility of causing an overheated power feed.  The outlet will have a very heavy duty socket.

I will be out and about this weekend to find a Yelp recommended restaurant out in the boonies somewhere.

Back to building SET 120 amplifiers right now.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #369 on: 17 Jul 2019, 06:58 pm »
240V AC installed in my garage yesterday.  A pretty painless project. City electrical inspector checked it out this morning and it is good to go.

My new Tesla now charges three times as fast as it did with a simple 120V line.  Now I will never leave home without lots of electrons in the tank.

Frank

Freo-1

« Reply #370 on: 17 Jul 2019, 07:13 pm »

I had read about this issue with the Model 3 last week...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/body-shop-finds-model-3s-gathering-large-amounts-of-dirt-and-sand-due-to-improper-drainag.144746/

Given where you live, you may wish to keep an eye on this.

artur9

« Reply #371 on: 18 Jul 2019, 02:23 am »
It will be like having my own gas station at home, but without the stink of spilled gasoline.  :D

IDK if your garage is climate-controlled? If it isn't now you can pre-cool/pre-heat the car in the garage with no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.  And still leave the house with a "full tank".

No poisonous fumes of any kind is a big win.

avahifi

« Reply #372 on: 23 Jul 2019, 08:07 pm »
I did an interesting road trip yesterday with my new Tesla Model 3.

From Woodbury, MN with a stop to supercharge at Rochester, MN and then south into the Amish country of SE Minnesota and also the home of lots of winding hilly scenic roads. I drove from Harmony to Lanesboro through Whalan, Peterson, Rushford, before cutting north on county roads to Winona and then back home up highway 61.  About a 300 mile jaunt in all.

I have the now standard TACC and Auto Steer functions my my mid-June production car, but not full self drive.  I used these functions as much as possible during this 300 mile Sunday outing.

A lot of the route followed the Root River and wound around miles of curves to stay close to the river through this 100 mile long lovely wooded river valley.  A beautiful drive.  The river was running full due to the rains the day before and some secondary roads along the route were closed due to flooding,

Anyway, about the Tesla and my experiences with it.  I have owned it for only about a month now and this was my first experience on anything except main roads.

First of all i love my Bluebot, my metallic blue long range RWD model.  However it does have some driving characteristics worth mentioning,

Although it almost always follows the winding roads just fine, the auto steer does tend to behave like a beginning driver fresh out of drivers training,

Entering curves, it tends to turn in later than I would, and then kind of saws its way around them making several corrections along the way.  Not the smooth radius I would attempt to do myself.  Not unsafe, and it always stays in its lane, but still it is a beginner at driving on really winding roads.  It also gave up with really sharp 20 MPH posted curves saying Help, you do it!  I also noticed that with Auto Steer turned off, it would slow a lot approaching some curves, but not all of them, kind of random hiccups.  It tends to be late in slowing down for reduced speeds approaching small villages too.

Sometimes it behaves like it was my Granny sitting beside me backseat driving.  Even with both TACC and Auto Steer turned off, it sometimes nagged me about approaching the limits of my lane and tried to make steering corrections.  Not always, and kind of randomly. Again, never unsafe, just a bit annoying.  It really needs to do a bit more learning.

One thing I would wish, and that is if the driver could tell the Tesla to move a bit more to the right in lane following.  I always drive to the right side of the traffic lane to leave as much space as possible for oncoming traffic on two way roads.  The Tesla just tracks in the center of the lane leaving less “whoops” space than I am really comfortable with. Center of the lane fine for multilane city freeways, not so fine on rural two lane roads.

I don’t think full self driving is ready for prime time yet.

TACC came in handy on the way home as north of Red Wing our half of the four lane freeway was completely blocked by a bad traffic accident.  I ended up stopped in bumper to bumper traffic about a mile before the problem.  This was a great place to let TACC just creep along by itself until we were routed around the scene on the right shoulder.

Overall a fun trip, no significant issues, and overall Bluebot impressed and made the experience safe and trouble free.  Makes me happier than ever for my leap into the future with Tesla.

Frank

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #373 on: 25 Jul 2019, 06:22 pm »
“Even with both TACC and Auto Steer turned off, it sometimes nagged me about approaching the limits of my lane and tried to make steering corrections.”

Frank, by that you mean just a mechanical correction, yes? There wasn’t also a robotic voice alarm warning you to stay in your lane. (?)

avahifi

« Reply #374 on: 25 Jul 2019, 06:48 pm »
I don’t remember a voice warning, but did get loud beep.

I just got software upgrade 2019.24.4 this morning.  It allows turning off edge of lane warning so now allows driving closer to right edge of lane without nags or steering fighting me when all auto driving functions turned off.

Frank

audioengr

« Reply #375 on: 25 Jul 2019, 07:41 pm »
I don't use Autopilot on switchbacks, but the cruise is great.  If a corner is too sharp, it slows the car automatically so you don't pitch.

I drive very defensively, so on two-lane roads I hug the right side white line.  I wish the autopilot had an "offset" adjustment that would take you off-center in the lane.

Steve N.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #376 on: 2 Aug 2019, 01:16 pm »
I don’t remember a voice warning, but did get loud beep.

I just got software upgrade 2019.24.4 this morning.  It allows turning off edge of lane warning so now allows driving closer to right edge of lane without nags or steering fighting me when all auto driving functions turned off.

Frank

The vibration warning wouldn’t bother me but the beeping definitely would. Is there a way to turn off the beeping but keep the vibration warning and the auto correction?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #377 on: 7 Aug 2019, 10:47 pm »
Just saw this in another thread:

Could it be backup power, in case there was a mains power outage?
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2019, 03:20 am by Tone Depth »

avahifi

« Reply #378 on: 8 Aug 2019, 02:37 pm »
Wow, diesel powered EV charging station.  That sure looks very inefficient.

It is not a Tesla station, and I see a BMW parked at it.

It must be way out in the boonies if there is no electrical service nearby to set up a normal charging station.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #379 on: 8 Aug 2019, 02:49 pm »
I did some better research and found out that the "Nullarbor" is a vast area of Australia with very limited resources.  Evidently some priviate and government help has provided EV chargers of several types to deal with this.

More details at this link.

https://aussieelectricvehicles.com/our-blogs/electrifying-the-nullarbor

Frank