headphone circuit - SET 120 Control vs Transcendence RB preamp

jandrews

Hello
I'm planning on purchasing a 120 SET amp and am not sure if I'll go the 1-box control-amp route or get the tube RB preamp to accompany a plain 120 power amp.
The control amp has a headphone output and I'm curious if anyone knows how it compares to the RB preamp headphone out.
I'm slightly leaning towards getting the power amp and preamp combo at this point.
thank you
JS
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2022, 04:45 pm by jandrews »

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
Hello jandrews,

The SET120 control amplifier has the exact headphone circuit as the RB preamplifiers.

Mary

jandrews

Great, thank you

Hi Mary, hope to catch with this question, I just bought a T7 preamp from you, can you tell me the phono capacitance, I’m shopping for a new cartridge😊

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
The T7 preamp has our standard MM phono stage with industry standard input impedence of 47K ohm.

avahifi

Actually the Control Amp drives headphone directly from the main power amp channels through some voltage dropping resistors. All our preamps drive headphones after unity gain ultra low distortion current buffers that isolate the gain stages from the low impedance headphone loads. In both cases you are hearing your headohones as directly to the music as possible.

jandrews

Just placed an order for a Transcendence 10 RB pre and a SET 120 power amp from AVA.
Sounds like the wait is 3 or 4 weeks. Really looking forward to using these amps with my Omega Super 7's (95db, original version).  Also have some LRS's on order since January and recent posts suggest that is a great pairing too.  I am forgoing the phono stage in the pre which I'll probably regret later but that's OK , I have a decent phono pre already.