case could be better designed

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
case could be better designed
« on: 24 Sep 2019, 02:12 am »
Here is my only negative about your products - it just happened for the 2nd time.  I dislike the cases that load from the end rather than the top.  Pulling the guts out to do anything puts a lot of strain on the small wires from the output board to the RCA plugs and they sometimes break, in such a small way as to be unnoticeable until I plug it in and fire it up.  A couple of years ago  I built a custom unit with a case on which the top was removable and it was SO much easier to work with.  But I still love ya, Morten.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: case could be better designed
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2019, 01:50 pm »
Here is my only negative about your products - it just happened for the 2nd time.  I dislike the cases that load from the end rather than the top.  Pulling the guts out to do anything puts a lot of strain on the small wires from the output board to the RCA plugs and they sometimes break, in such a small way as to be unnoticeable until I plug it in and fire it up.  A couple of years ago  I built a custom unit with a case on which the top was removable and it was SO much easier to work with.  But I still love ya, Morten.

There's no doubt that cases where you can open the top are easier to work on. On the other hand we've been building units that slide in/out of our unibody extruded cases for years now and I can't recall one time where removing/inserting the assembly broke wires on our preamps. It did happen a few times with our buffer and we solved that by using more robust wire.

A technique we use to minimize strain on any wiring is remove the front panel (usually required anyway) and push the assembly in on front end while drawing it out from the back end.

More recently we've been moving to PCB only designs that plug together and avoid point-to-point signal wiring altogether.

Cheers,
Morten